The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are your three on three players?

MajorPenalty

With 3 on 3 overtimes seemingly adopted by the GM's, which three Canucks would you have out for the majority of the three on three?

Edler, Vrbata and Horvat would be mine.

A big shot, a sniper and a center who can play defensively and win important face offs.

With 3 on 3 overtimes seemingly adopted by the GM's, which three Canucks would you have out for the majority of the three on three?

Edler, Vrbata and Horvat would be mine.

A big shot, a sniper and a center who can play defensively and win important face offs.

I like that, but I would def pick Sedin, Sedin and Edler. Full on possession offense...FINISH HIM!

I like that, but I would def pick Sedin, Sedin and Edler. Full on possession offense...FINISH HIM!

Agreed. Even more space for the Sedins, and Edler works well with them.

I wonder how well Hansen or Matthias (not saying they should be on together) would do out on 3-3, given their speed.

Having the big shot out there is nice. At first I thought it wouldn't matter that much, given less opportunity to set up the screen, but with the extra room the shooter can get in that much closer, so a screaming shot from the near the top of the circles is a big nice-to-have too.

My only worry with the Sedins is if they give up the puck against fast opponents, it will then be a 3 on 1 the other way.

That crossed my mind too, but it doesn't seem to hurt them in OT now, so I'd still go with them first.

this. you NEED speedy players out there otherwise you're going to constantly give up odd man rushes.

With 3 on 3 play possession is big and possession plus speed pretty much guarantees a good scoring chance. And possession means face-offs.

Also, screened shots and deflected shots are less important. Beating the goalie with a good shot and/or setting up a precision passing play are important.

Edler is an obvious choice. He is good skater, has an excellent shot and provides good defence in his own zone. With 3-on-3 making a breakout pass is much easier so Tanev's main advantage disappears.

As for the forwards, the Sedins seem obvious, but Henrik is not good enough in the circle and they are not fast enough. Fast opposing forwards will pull away from them too easily in 3 on 3 play. And neither one is a real sniper.

I am going with Horvat (assuming he continues to improve into next year) and Vrbata.

Archived