The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD (+ AV) among 5 coaches worthy of Jack Adams

TheRussianRocket.

You were probably one of the guys that hounded AV on here too, no doubt.

Rookie mistakes, my ass, he has taken a team from the pits of despair (the core having been denigrated and called "stale" by the great gobmeister who is Tortorella) and nursed them through more injuries than any team has a right to endure, to a place where the playoffs are a distinct possibility.

Every coach makes mistakes rookie or otherwise. It's not the mistakes that hurt you it is how you overcome them and Willie, his coaches and the players, have always bounced back which is probably the biggest standout feature of the season for me

If the award was to take in all these factors and given a playoff place and a decent run then Willie should get it imo. AV got it on less and with arguably a better team.

This is true. I don't think the fact that Willie's a rookie NHL coach has much to do with any mistakes he's made. More likely, IMO, it's a case of being new to the team and hence having to learn the players. This is something that Laviolette and Boudreau have done as well, but I'm sure they've made their share of mistakes.

AV dealt with it last season and I think it's paid dividends, now that he's in year #2. He's actually done better this year with what I'd call an inferior lineup and without his #1 goaltender for a significant amount of time.

In any event, I don't think there's any "rookie mistake" that WD may or may not have made, that would preclude him from consideration for the Jack Adams. It's all about where you have your team when the playoffs roll around, compared to where they were expected to be.

Willie's certainly made thing better around here.

I'm not a flames fan but if anyone wins it but Hartley it's a joke.

Pretty much.

Vancouver had talent left over from previous great teams.

Calgary has been getting written off every week for the entire season and they keep trucking along. I've hated Hartley since he took over in Colorado, but he has to win it this year.

cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25112906?v=1&vc=3

Willie, man is this guy really good at coaching and a breath of fresh air. He's seemingly done the impossible and maneuvered his way in the toughest division positioning the Canucks nicely at a chance to compete in the playoffs - all in his first year, at one point managing the team with a near AHL defense for what seemed to be a long period of time.

I doubt he wins because there's other quality guys too but just seeing his name in the mix and getting league wide recognition and consideration shows how great of a job he's done. He's arguably got the most of his players and the team has bought into his system and are comfortable in it most importantly. Can't say enough good things about Willie. So glad he's in Vancouver and when you look back and see he chose us over Pittsburgh, it's just perfect :)

My personal vote would be for Laviolette, Capuano, or Hartley. Thats not a discredit to other coaches who have done a great job as well, but i just think these three wil get more recognition.

Also, gotta disagree with your opinion that the Pacific is the toughest division. Central is pretty rough....Pacific has two teams 20 games under .500, worst team in the Central is four games over .500. The Central gets my vote as the toughest division.

Unfortunately, the NHL once again failed to mail me my ballot to vote on either best coach or toughest division. Maybe next year.

Archived