The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New laser treatment turns brown eyes blue

drummer4now

this seemed weird to me, because I have icy, cool, deep and blue like the sea eyes, and yet i have terrible night vision. just tried to google it, and found this. seems accurate at least for my experiences, because i have always hated driving at night. i hate driving always, but especially at night.

The darker the eyes, the more light is absorbed as light waves pass through the eye, and the less light is available to reflect within the eye. Light reflection (scatter) within the eye can cause susceptibility to glare (eg. sun or headlights) and to poor contrast discernment. Thus it seems that people with darker eyes may have better vision in high-glare situations – perhaps this makes them better night drivers, for example.

Interesting. In some ways I prefer driving at night, but that doesn't mean I don't have glare issues too. But, isn't glare susceptibility just another form of light sensitivity? How do you think your vision is at night when you aren't dealing with glare?

I remember back when I lived in BC, and how much I hated driving in the morning of a clear day when there was snow on the ground. Just way too effing bright for my liking, even with sunglasses on.

this seemed weird to me, because I have icy, cool, deep and blue like the sea eyes, and yet i have terrible night vision. just tried to google it, and found this. seems accurate at least for my experiences, because i have always hated driving at night. i hate driving always, but especially at night.

The darker the eyes, the more light is absorbed as light waves pass through the eye, and the less light is available to reflect within the eye. Light reflection (scatter) within the eye can cause susceptibility to glare (eg. sun or headlights) and to poor contrast discernment. Thus it seems that people with darker eyes may have better vision in high-glare situations – perhaps this makes them better night drivers, for example.

It all has to do with adaptions and evolution. There was this documentary on National Geographic that talked about why we all look the way we do and it talked about how humans left Africa and all the different paths they took.

nC6EH5m.png

One of the paths were for Caucasian people. When Caucasian people were evolving they originally had brown skin and blue eyes because the environment was warmer at the beginning but there was rarely any sunlight so they needed god night vision so evolved blue eyes. (Well not really that they evolved blue eyes just that the ones with the black eyes didn't survive as well compared to the ones with Blue eyes so only the blue eyed ones were left).

Of course sometimes it doesn't work out well for some people. I have heard many problems that people with blue eyes have that people with brown eyes have lower occurrences of, most commonly, being color blind between purple and blue. But in theory blue eyes were evolved for the best possible night vision.

The fact of the matter is now with all our advancements in health and civilization, people who have problems with their eye can stay alive (unlike in the wild where you might have gotten killed and your genes might have never been passed on). In the end, only the people with proper functioning eyes would have survived. Of course now it's different and the genes can keep getting passed on because we can correct some of the problems but the genes stay the same.

When humans first ventured out of Africa some 60,000 years ago, they left genetic footprints still visible today. By mapping the appearance and frequency of genetic markers in modern peoples, we create a picture of when and where ancient humans moved around the world. These great migrations eventually led the descendants of a small group of Africans to occupy even the farthest reaches of the Earth.

Our species is an African one: Africa is where we first evolved, and where we have spent the majority of our time on Earth. The earliest fossils of recognizably modern Homo sapiens appear in the fossil record at Omo Kibish in Ethiopia, around 200,000 years ago. Although earlier fossils may be found over the coming years, this is our best understanding of when and approximately where we originated.

According to the genetic and paleontological record, we only started to leave Africa between 60,000 and 70,000 years ago. What set this in motion is uncertain, but we think it has something to do with major climatic shifts that were happening around that time—a sudden cooling in the Earth’s climate driven by the onset of one of the worst parts of the last Ice Age. This cold snap would have made life difficult for our African ancestors, and the genetic evidence points to a sharp reduction in population size around this time. In fact, the human population likely dropped to fewer than 10,000. We were holding on by a thread.

Once the climate started to improve, after 70,000 years ago, we came back from this near-extinction event. The population expanded, and some intrepid explorers ventured beyond Africa. The earliest people to colonize the Eurasian landmass likely did so across the Bab-al-Mandab Strait separating present-day Yemen from Djibouti. These early beachcombers expanded rapidly along the coast to India, and reached Southeast Asia and Australia by 50,000 years ago. The first great foray of our species beyond Africa had led us all the way across the globe.

Slightly later, a little after 50,000 years ago, a second group appears to have set out on an inland trek, leaving behind the certainties of life in the tropics to head out into the Middle East and southern Central Asia. From these base camps, they were poised to colonize the northern latitudes of Asia, Europe, and beyond.

Around 20,000 years ago a small group of these Asian hunters headed into the face of the storm, entering the East Asian Arctic during the Last Glacial Maximum. At this time the great ice sheets covering the far north had literally sucked up much of the Earth’s moisture in their vast expanses of white wasteland, dropping sea levels by more than 300 feet. This exposed a land bridge that connected the Old World to the New, joining Asia to the Americas. In crossing it, the hunters had made the final great leap of the human journey. By 15,000 years ago they had penetrated the land south of the ice, and within 1,000 years they had made it all the way to the tip of South America. Some may have even made the journey by sea.

The story doesn’t end there, of course. The rise of agriculture around 10,000 years ago—and the population explosion it created—has left a dramatic impact on the human gene pool. The rise of empires, the astounding oceangoing voyages of the Polynesians, even the extraordinary increase in global migration over the past 500 years could all leave traces in our DNA. There are many human journey questions waiting to be asked and answered.

What stories are waiting to be told in your own DNA?

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/human-journey/

It all has to do with adaptions and evolution. There was this documentary on National Geographic that talked about why we all look the way we do and it talked about how humans left Africa and all the different paths they took.

nC6EH5m.png

One of the paths were for Caucasian people. When Caucasian people were evolving they originally had brown skin and blue eyes because the environment was warmer at the beginning but there was rarely any sunlight so they needed god night vision so evolved blue eyes. (Well not really that they evolved blue eyes just that the ones with the black eyes didn't survive as well compared to the ones with Blue eyes so only the blue eyed ones were left).

Of course sometimes it doesn't work out well for some people. I have heard many problems that people with blue eyes have that people with brown eyes have lower occurrences of, most commonly, being color blind between purple and blue. But in theory blue eyes were evolved for the best possible night vision.

The fact of the matter is now with all our advancements in health and civilization, people who have problems with their eye can stay alive (unlike in the wild where you might have gotten killed and your genes might have never been passed on). In the end, only the people with proper functioning eyes would have survived. Of course now it's different and the genes can keep getting passed on because we can correct some of the problems but the genes stay the same.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/human-journey/

I think you have it other way around..

Apparently the blue eye gene originated near the black sea because of environmental conditions, but the original person didn't have the eyes it was eventually passed down to grandchildren later on.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-511473/All-blue-eyed-people-traced-ancestor-lived-10-000-years-ago-near-Black-Sea.html

Ignore the DM part lol it's on other sites too..

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought that the gene for blue eyes was dominant, so we just need more mixed-race couples to even it all out.

Mine are blue, and I concur with Chalky's photo-sensitivity comments. The flip side is that I think blue eyes see better in the dark

I was actually about to comment that it's recessive, then I did a quick google and turns out that eye colour is way more complex than recessive vs. dominant genes.

I was actually about to comment that it's recessive, then I did a quick google and turns out that eye colour is way more complex than recessive vs. dominant genes.

Yeah it's weird unlike hair color..

1. Eye color is not an example of a simple genetic trait, and blue eyes are not determined by a recessive allele at one gene. Instead, eye color is determined by variation at several different genes and the interactions between them, and this makes it possible for two blue-eyed parents to have brown-eyed children.

udel.edu/~mcdonald/mytheyecolor.html

If this is safe, I dont see it as any different than other cosmetic stuff like nose jobs or hair implants or whatever.

My parents are mixed eye color with my dad brown and my mom green and mine and my sister are blue while my brother's are brown. I guess you never know what's gonna mix and come out as what.

If this is safe, I dont see it as any different than other cosmetic stuff like nose jobs or hair implants or whatever.

My parents are mixed eye color with my dad brown and my mom green and mine and my sister are blue while my brother's are brown. I guess you never know what's gonna mix and come out as what.

That's a pretty big if. If they screw up your nose, hair, chest it's a lot different than impairing one of your major senses.

I'm lucky that I have bright blue eyes, I don't find brown colored eyes attractive at all.

I'm lucky that I have bright blue eyes, I don't find brown colored eyes attractive at all.

Eva Mendes? Jessica Alba? Natalie Portman? No? Odd.

oh, and if you screw up your nose you are impairing one of your major senses. Although youd have a hard time finding anyone who would put lose of sight and lose of smell in the same category of importance.

I had laser eye surgery. How does this effect me in getting this surgery? I mean Im a shoe in for Ryan Gosling except he has blue and I have green eyes. Im assuming we are identical otherwise although nobody has ever mentioned it.

I would just keep the green eyes... IMO blues eyes are overrated :)

That's a pretty big if. If they screw up your nose, hair, chest it's a lot different than impairing one of your major senses.

The key about eyes is not really the color itself but the size, shape, brightness , and limbal ring.

This woman's eyes would beat blue eyes any day of the week...

national-geographic-100-best-pictures-co

Seems like a needless risk for vanity. My eyes are Silver-blue already so maybe I don't get it...but I do get photosensitivity and have to wear sunglasses for even the smallest amount of glare. Who am I to say though, you should live your life the way you want to in my opinion...provided you are not a dick to the people around you.

So true. I am almost legally blind in sunlight if i'm not wearing sunglasses. Blue eyes are notorious for being sensitive to light and my eyes don't disappoint in that regard.

Eva Mendes? Jessica Alba? Natalie Portman? No? Odd.

To be fair though, eye color is a small part of attractiveness. He can still prefer blue eyes and find people attractive who have brown eyes, he would just prefer blue eyes. Jessica Alba isn't hot because of her brown eyes, she's hot because she has good facial structure and takes care of her body.

Changing the eye colour is not going to improve your looks. If anything, it's worse because it will look unnatural. I remember a fad of coloured contact lenses. I don't see them at all anymore.

So hooray for science, and those who can't accept their beauty as it is. If changing brown eyes to blue gives them the confidence they didn't have before, more power to them.

Changing the eye colour is not going to improve your looks. If anything, it's worse because it will look unnatural. I remember a fad of coloured contact lenses. I don't see them at all anymore.

So hooray for science, and those who can't accept their beauty as it is. If changing brown eyes to blue gives them the confidence they didn't have before, more power to them.

Its kinda crazy cause I have seen people wear color contacts before and its just so wrong. Worst one I've ever seen is red.

Everyone wants what they don't have.

Archived