The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dalai Lama Says He Might Not Reincarnate

nucklehead

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/dalai-lama-says-he-might-not-be-born-again-9726457.html

China has criticised the Dalai Lama and called on him to “respect” the tradition of reincarnation after the Tibetan Buddhist leader repeated his claim that he may not choose to be reborn.

In a recent interview with a German newspaper, Welt am Sonntag, the Dalai Lama underscored his belief that the tradition of the post he holds could end with him. He said Tibetan Buddhism was not dependent on a single person.

On Wednesday, a spokesman for China’s Foreign Ministry, Hua Chunying told reporters that China had a “set religious procedure and historic custom” when it came to the reincarnation of living Buddhist lamas, including the position of Dalai Lama.

“China follows a policy of freedom of religion and belief, and this naturally includes having to respect and protect the ways of passing on Tibetan Buddhism,” said Mr Hua, according to the Reuters news agency.

“The title of Dalai Lama is conferred by the central government, which has hundreds of years of history. The 14th Dalai Lama has ulterior motives, and is seeking to distort and negate history, which is damaging to the normal order of Tibetan Buddhism.”

The 14th Dalai Lama, whose real name is Tenzin Gyatso, has long been in a battle with China, having fled Tibet in 1959 after China invaded the then independent nation and establishing a government-in-exile in Dharamshala, India.

The Dalai Lama, who heads the Gelug, or “yellow hat” school of Tibetan Buddhism, believes one of the ways Beijing seeks to control Tibetan Buddhists is by getting involved in the reincarnation selection process of senior Buddhist monks.

In 1995, for example, the Dalai Lama named a boy in Tibet, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, as the reincarnation of the previous Panchen Lama, the second highest figure in Tibetan Buddhism. But the Chinese put that boy under house arrest and installed another, Gyancain Norbu, in his place.

Today, while China insists that Gyancain Norbu is the legitimate Panchen Lama, many Tibetan Buddhists do not recognise him. Of Gedhun Choekyi Nyima, the boy chosen by the Dalai Lama, there has been no word. He was last seen in public on 17 May 1995

Many Tibetans fear that China will try and use the issue of the succession of the current Dalai Lama, who is aged 79, to create another split among Tibetan Buddhists as a means of exerting further control on Tibet.

As a result of this, the Dalai Lama has been thinking of alternatives to the traditional procedures of succession. While China has said it is traditional for the Dalai Lama’s successor to be a male child born in Tibet, he has floated a series of other options, including the idea that his successor be born when he is still alive and that his successor could even be a woman.

He has also said there might not need to be any successor and that he could be the last of his line. What was most important, he said in 2011 after giving up his formal political role within the Tibetan exile government, was that the succession should not be used for political ends.

“Bear in mind that, apart from the reincarnation recognised through such legitimate methods, no recognition or acceptance should be given to a candidate chosen for political ends by anyone, including those in the People’s Republic of China,” he said. In 2007, he suggested a referendum could be held to decide whether or not he required a successor.

I didn't realize the Chinese Govt was so invested in the religious affairs of Tibet. It would seem they are trying to interfere in the established reincarnation process in order to create division and conquer Tibet once and for all.

My first though was he's going be in for a surprise if he thinks there's a choice in reincarnation, but it's obviously about the succession through finding the believed reincarnation of previous lamas.

Now I'm curious what happened to the chosen reincarnation, not seen since 1995? Did China just keep him in hiding or was he executed?

Many people misunderstand reincarnation. It's not like it's 'one soul' that keeps getting born over and over. But life as a single, timeless entity, with an infinite amount of experiences and 'enlightenments'. It's much like the term to be 'born again' you come back to the essense, or ground of your being, which shows you to be one and everything, but this process is always in motion, it never starts or ends.

“China follows a policy of freedom of religion and belief"

Riiiiight.

Edit: I had tried to change the name on the quote, to reflect it was in the OP article, and not quoting nucklehead directly, but it didn't take.

My first though was he's going be in for a surprise if he thinks there's a choice in reincarnation, but it's obviously about the succession through finding the believed reincarnation of previous lamas.

Now I'm curious what happened to the chosen reincarnation, not seen since 1995? Did China just keep him in hiding or was he executed?

My thought exactly. But then, if you are at the top of your game, why not ensure you stay that way. Anything less would be unbearable.

Wikipedia says that the Chinese is/was schooling that boy and keeping him out of the public eye for his own "safety".

I think the closest communique coming from him was some unverified letter sent during the 90's or something.

My money is that he's probably dead and his organs harvested.

If it weren't for India the Dalai Lama would probably be dead by now.. as I doubt any western govt. was willing to take him at the time because doing so would have severely damage ties with China.

But anyway is it me or is the Free Tibet movement kinda dead now? outside of Tibet you barely hear any news of it..

I remember politicians inparticular western based would always bring up the issue when discussing China.

If it weren't for India the Dalai Lama would probably be dead by now.. as I doubt any western govt. was willing to take him at the time because doing so would have severely damage ties with China.

The Dalai Lama fled China in 1959. No western Gov would have turned him away. After Chinas intervention in the Korean war from 1950 to 1954 I dont see how ties could have been any worse.

The Dalai Lama fled China in 1959. No western Gov would have turned him away. After Chinas intervention in the Korean war from 1950 to 1954 I dont see how ties could have been any worse.

I slightly agree..

Maybe not during the Korean war, but some years after it would definitely be an issue and a major one.

Imagine Edward Snowden situation x100+

But anyway is it me or is the Free Tibet movement kinda dead now? outside of Tibet you barely hear any news of it..

I remember politicians inparticular western based would always bring up the issue when discussing China.

I believe the offer of a free Tibet with the purchase of another regular Tibet at equal or lesser value is still out there, isn't it?

Archived