The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should voting become mandatory?

Armada

So Obama wants to have less money in politics and give a voice to the people, but he's still more than happy to accept the huge donations from billion dollar corporations in exchange for serving their interests.

2 reasons why people don't vote:

1) They don't care enough about politics to do research and make informed decisions. If forced to vote, everything would be worse because politicians could pander to the uninformed masses even more than they do now.

2) They don't vote because both parties suck and they know that no matter who they vote for, politicians are gonna side with their rich friends the majority of the time.

I would say no, voting should not be mandatory. You should vote because you feel strong eneough about politcal issues to choose a party that best suits your agenda, or your idea of a utupian country, or, at least are the group that is the least furthest away from your own values, not because its against the law not to..

politicians are gonna side with their rich friends the majority of the time.

Ever notice how George W Bush spent his entire career, before politics, being an absentee board member at a bunch of Texas oil companies? Literally money for nothing. Thats what his dad being friends with those oil companies executives buys ya.

I guess the goal should be to become one of those rich friends.

Off topic, but I think that Canada would benefit from a system where people can go out and vote for selected issues. For example, the government wants to pass Bill C-51 or legalize marijuana, it goes before a vote by the people and it's fate is decided. I'm not entirely educated on how the proposition system works in the states, but being able to vote on actual issues rather than just a puppet seems like a great idea.

Off topic, but I think that Canada would benefit from a system where people can go out and vote for selected issues. For example, the government wants to pass Bill C-51 or legalize marijuana, it goes before a vote by the people and it's fate is decided. I'm not entirely educated on how the proposition system works in the states, but being able to vote on actual issues rather than just a puppet seems like a great idea.

This is true democracy. What we have in place is pretty much a republic. People in power absolutely do not want true democracy. They'd lose all their power.

Nope because a lot of people don’t know anything about politics and the clueless would elect the next Hitler to run America

The flip side is, some enthusiastic voters are also completely uninformed.

Mandatory or not, the Abbotts and the Netanyahus of the world do get voted in from time to time.

What we really need is to get money out of politics, and get the press to be run by the State (the people) instead of private ownerships who answer to money.

The flip side is, some enthusiastic voters are also completely uninformed.

Mandatory or not, the Abbotts and the Netanyahus of the world do get voted in from time to time.

What we really need is to get money out of politics, and get the press to be run by the State (the people) instead of private ownerships who answer to money.

Money will never get out of politics until one of the two is eradicated completely.

Yes I agree.

Political parties is stupid with today's technology. Vote online on every issue. Governance should be more or less ceremonial, administrative and executive, the decision making should rest with the people via direct democracy.

There will always be lobby groups who will try to sway our votes. But lobby groups should be lobby groups, not politicians.

Yes I agree.

Political parties is stupid with today's technology. Vote online on every issue. Governance should be more or less ceremonial, administrative and executive, the decision making should rest with the people via direct democracy.

There will always be lobby groups who will try to sway our votes. But lobby groups should be lobby groups, not politicians.

NO. No no no no no no this would be horrible.

Why would you want direct democracy????

Why would you want political parties 'bulk' representing you on every issue? I call myself a liberal but I don't agree with everything the liberals say. I'm sure pretty much everyone feels the same way about their political affiliation.

Why? The people can be educated on the subject on their own. That part is no different than how it is now with information, credible or not, ever so accessible.

I know we're not America (and no disrespect to the USA here), but we still have a fair amount of village idiots here in Canada. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not give them the power that easily to make major decisions for our country.

I know we're not America (and no disrespect to the USA here), but we still have a fair amount of village idiots here in Canada. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not give them the power that easily to make major decisions for our country.

But they kind of are already.... they do have political representations via elected representatives.

The real difference would be cutting out politicians and the costs of having them.

But I sense what you are saying... the inmates might run the asylum.

But they kind of are already.... they do have political representations via elected representatives.

The real difference would be cutting out politicians and the costs of having them.

But I sense what you are saying... the inmates might run the asylum.

Indeed.

Archived