The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks switching jerseys?

VANcanucks92

You do all know why VANCOUVER is scrawled above the logo the way it is don't you? It's somewhat two-fold. Primarily it's an homage to the original Canucks jerseys before the team entered the NHL where they had CANUCKS in that format above the Johnny Canuck logo. It was also a bit of a shout out to the Vancouver Millionaires as well.

No it wasn't, it was a marketing job to get jersey/merchandise sales with the Olympics in town.

I like the Orca. I don't even relate it to Orca Bay. It just seems like a west coast thing to me.

Keep the current jerseys! No need to fix what ain't broke.

Minus the West Coast Express years, the Orca Bay era was a very dark time for the club. The Seattle-based ownership originally wanted to change the name of the club to "Orcas" because they felt "Canucks" was not marketable to American sports fans, Bettman's target audience and they wanted to put their corporate brand on the team's identity.

Team president and GM Pat Quinn(RIP) would have nothing to do with changing Vancouver's iconic hockey identity. Therefore, as a compromise, Orca Bay hired Brett Lynch, a local graphic artist, who designed the Orca C. The first year the Canucks wore the Orca, Mark Messier, another Orca Bay blunder, signed with the club, took Trevor's 'C and took former late Canuck Wayne Maki's #11 without even consulting with Maki's family. Furthermore, Quinn was unjustly fired and replaced by the tyrannical Mike Keenan, at the request of Messier.

Now, with Quinn's legacy engraved on the franchise permanently and Trevor in charge, it's time to ditch the Orca and have the true Canucks brand - Johnny Canuck and the Stick 'n Rink.

Minus the West Coast Express years, the Orca Bay era was a very dark time for the club. The Seattle-based ownership originally wanted to change the name of the club to "Orcas" because they felt "Canucks" was not marketable to American sports fans, Bettman's target audience and they wanted to put their corporate brand on the team's identity.

Team president and GM Pat Quinn(RIP) would have nothing to do with changing Vancouver's iconic hockey identity. Therefore, as a compromise, Orca Bay hired Brett Lynch, a local graphic artist, who designed the Orca C. The first year the Canucks wore the Orca, Mark Messier, another Orca Bay blunder, signed with the club, took Trevor's 'C and took former late Canuck Wayne Maki's #11 without even consulting with Maki's family. Furthermore, Quinn was unjustly fired and replaced by the tyrannical Mike Keenan, at the request of Messier.

Now, with Quinn's legacy engraved on the franchise permanently and Trevor in charge, it's time to ditch the Orca and have the true Canucks brand - Johnny Canuck and the Stick 'n Rink.

Messier and Keenan aren't the jersey's fault. Johnny Canuck was never part of the NHL club, so to me isn't really relevant other than an interesting historical footnote.

I like the orca with modern colors, and the vancouver. I actually especially like the vancouver font.

I don't really see a point in changing. The current set of jerseys we have are all great.

Exactly.

I don't really care what the Orca represents to some people. People who had to live through the Messier and Orca Bay era seem to be basing their opinions solely on those bad memories, blind to the fact that it's actual a great and classy logo.

IMHO, the best logo/jersey the Canucks have ever had.

And a big fat NO to Johnny Canuck. As somebody who is under 50, Johnny Canuck means nothing to me. Time to appeal to the younger demo, not appease the older one.

The Orca is irrelevant to the Canucks' name and history. Johnny Canuck and the Stick 'n Rink represent the club's heritage.

Enough with the politically correct First Nations nonsense. I grew up with the Streaking Skate and still love it to this day. However, I still admit that JC and the Stick 'n Rink are the way to go.

The blue and green should always remain. The Canucks should also switch back to the traditional block-style font with an added green border. Let's show these beautiful colours with class.

Johnny Canuck is my first choice but I'd be more than happy with any logo except Orca Bay's leftover.

The font should also be changed back to the traditional block-style with an added green border.

Totally agree.

Current colours are perfect, but the whale logo is not.

Time to retire the whale logo & get rid of the Vancouver wordmark.

Any non-animalized logo will do for me!

Why? Also other cities like new York and Dallas have their city typed on parts of their logo.

When you represent the best city in the world, you should have it written on your jersey.

Those teams do not have their city names on their jerseys.

Rangers have a diagonal wordmark on their jerseys.

And Dallas has a very good D Star logo.

I'm for the blue and green spaghetti skate. The Johnny Canuck logo, I like, but I figure it would turn out like the logo the Islanders had with the Mariner on it. No thank you. And the millionaires jersey? No thanks to watching puke coloured jerseys every other night as well.

if you want to buy a canucks jersey.. this jersey would be the best.. i think they will wear this even if they change to a new jersey..

pSPCK1-6952201dt.jpg

these are easily my favourite. the colours represent our ocean and trees and look great. the stick and rink represents classic hockey. sometimes less is more. i always feel so proud wearing this jersey. i'm tired of the constant changes and hope we adopt these permanently. use the third jersey as a cash grab imo.

Trevor was on 1040 in like July saying they were exploring Johnny canuck as the centerpiece of a new logo

O god why does everyone want to go to an uglier jersey. Last year we had this same argument and everyone came up with uglier proposals.

Everyone just wants the flying skate logo cause it reminds them of 94 but it is ugly as hell. Our current jersey is the best we have ever had in our history and it took 40 years of tinkering to finally get it right.

If we end up changing it, we will be taking a huge step in the wrong direction. Don't fix something if it ain't broke. Also the amount of fans we had in 2011 was the most we ever had in our history and those fans all recognized our current logo.

Changing the logo would be a bad move business wise as well.

Exactly.

I don't really care what the Orca represents to some people. People who had to live through the Messier and Orca Bay era seem to be basing their opinions solely on those bad memories, blind to the fact that it's actual a great and classy logo.

IMHO, the best logo/jersey the Canucks have ever had.

And a big fat NO to Johnny Canuck. As somebody who is under 50, Johnny Canuck means nothing to me. Time to appeal to the younger demo, not appease the older one.

This. People need to stop remembering their memories with the logo and instead need to look at the logo itself. If you do, its very evident our current jerseys are the best we've ever had.

They should go back to the skate jerseys! Best jersey in franchise history. People might have thought they were ugly back in the day but nostalgia changes opinions. Like the millionaires third jersey they wear is damn ugly, yet it gets rave reviews for nostalgia. The same will happen if we return to the skate jersey.

Archived