The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Vey, The Next Kyle Wellwood?

hockeydude474

Hockry players are real people, so unless ou can do a better job, ZIP IT.

That's a real simplistic way to look at things. Youre basically saying to never say anything bad, don't criticize or comment anything but sunshine and flowers because they are NHL players and we aren't.

Are you worried about them reading this and getting hurt feelings? I just don't get it - fans have the right to cheer or criticize however they feel, look at Toronto for example. Or edmonton. You think those fans have no right to be negative about their team because "hockey players are people too"?

This isn't figure skating, and you couldn't handle playing organized sports with such a my little pony outlook... Hell I doubt you could handle a job that doesn't have HR departments and team building excersizes

And he responded with zeroes, but 3 no-chance shots. Shots, shots, shots, shot-shot-shots!

I don't think you understand the value of a zero in a game like that.

Or the 75% that he was in the faceoff circle. Even better than the average Wellwood night in the dot.

And he responded with zeroes, but 3 no-chance shots. Shots, shots, shots, shot-shot-shots!

His corsie was great, he was on the ice for 2 la king shot ATTEMPTS. He also had a good defensive play stopping a breakaway. Nuff said.

So we gave up a 2nd round pick for him, not a first. He has 22 points as a rookie, not great, but not terrible by any stretch. Say he finishes with 25 this year, 35 next year, and 45 the following. 45 points is decent 2nd round production.

How many 2nd rounders finish with more than 22 points in their full rookie season? (40+ games).

2002 - Three

Hudler - 25

Fleischmann - 30

Stajan - 27

(Stoll had 21, Keith 21)

2003 - Four

Backes - 23

Weber - 40

Carle - 42

Bergeron -39

2004 - four (five if you include Soderberg, but he was a 27 year old rookie)

Kreijci - 27

Dubinsky - 40

Bickell - 37

Bolland - 47

2005 - four

Raymond - 23

Latendresse - 29

Statsny - 78

Neal - 37

2006 - four

McBain - 30

Anisimov - 28

Lucic - 27

Kulemin - 31

2007 - three

Simmonds - 23

Galiardi - 39

Subban - 38

2008 - three

Hamonic - 26

Stepan - 45

Schultz - 27

2009 - four

Tatar - 39

Gelinas - 29

Chiasson - 35

O'Reilly - 26

While I wish we got more production out of Vey, to say he was a waste of a 2nd round pick is insane.

There is maybe a 6% chance of hitting it out of the park, a 13% chance of drafting a player that is more productive as a rookie, and just a 30% chance of drafting a player who will play 200 career NHL games.

The way I look at it, if we drafted Vey with our 2nd round pick he would be considered a pretty good selection and most would have been happy. That said, Florida gave up similar compensation (3rd + 5th) for Pirri and he has been much more productive, same age too (24 goals in 59 games).

I would say the best comparable is Thomas Fleischmann.

SCOUTING REPORT

Assets: Has excellent offensive instincts, setup ability and an understanding of what to do with the puck on his stick. Is silky smooth, crafty and has a sneaky-good, accurate wrister. Can play both wing and center.

Flaws: Lacks strength, so he tends to lose several puck battles in the corners. Must continue to improve his intensity. His play without the puck, as well as his face-off skills (if he plays center) are generally lacking.

Career Potential: Solid scoring forward.

Less than 50% of our 1st and 2nd round picks between 2000-2008 became NHL players.

Based on these stats it would seem we have a winner in Vey. Actually I like him.

My only "complaint" with him is he always looks so damn sad. I wish he would look like he is enjoying himself more. He comes over as a guy who has had nothing but bad things happen to him and doesn't like to look happy in case he gets hit with another one.

I hope that is not the case.

By the way I agree that he does lose puck battles but he also wins a lot. He seems to be part of more puck battles than anyone on the team. He's a battler with loads of compete.

I believe Vey is ranked 14th in rookie scoring (Horvat 13th). He had one of his strongest games against LA. To me this season for Vey is all about NHL TOI and his realizing what he has to do to improve. Hopefully his adjustments will bear fruit next year. There are never any guarantees and Vey might end up losing out. His ability to handle the puck is enough to wait and watch. He could mature into a

2C or 3C. He is having a great rookie year.

Yeah I think you need to make a video. These bold claims require substantial empirical evidence. The idea that "Vey has shown the ability to make disgusting skillful plays, sedin worth plays" is, from my point of view, a strawman. I have seen nothing at all resembling the Sedin's ability. All i've seen from Vey is the tentative, idiotic, and uninspired hockey. This guy is basically a man child. If you want to argue that he's a rookie, fine. But he's not a rookie to the sport. I expect better. I'm actually shocked that some of you guys can be so complacent with under performing players. Simply writing of criticisms because "he's a rookie"is a simple and naive argument; he needs to be better and if he can't improve he shoulden't be trying to make a career out of this sport.

Well it seems ban tsn did it for me,

But the best plays I've seen vey make weren't ones that resulted in goals, most were actually slick moves that resulted in the puck being moved up ice at times when it seemed we were sure to loose posestion,

My biggest concern going into this year was just that, with Kessler gone, who was going to move the puck? Early on, vey showed me he had the skills to do just that, and you know what? Back then, everyone around here agreed with me.

Has he slowed down? Sure, I'll give you that,

But the collective amnesia around here about what vey has shown he's capable of is just jaw dropping.

Unless, this an entirely different group of posters from earlier in the year, I know some of you vey haters were right there with me, praising his skill,

Personally, I choose to believe that if he did it before he can find a way to make it happen in the future

The vey will rise again

Archived