The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Captain in Canucks History

thejazz97

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lol if I see you try and call someone out for not knowing anything about hockey again after this statement i'm going to laugh even harder than I already do at you.

You have 0 hockey iq. That's one thing I can bet my life on.

Henrik has led more on the ice and off the ice

Henrik 903 points in 1080 games = 0.836/ppg

+210

4 OT goals

34 gwg

Linden 733 points in 1140 games = 0.643/ppg

0 OT goals

33 gwg

Hmmm how about off the ice? Henrik has donated millions and spent hundreds of hours of community service with the team...

I know when Trevor was with the team, the franchise didn't mandate as much as they do now, but it is what it is.

Hanks the best captain in franchise history.

+210

4 OT goals

34 gwg

0 OT goals

33 gwg

Hmmm how about off the ice? Henrik has donated millions and spent hundreds of hours of community service with the team...

I know when Trevor was with the team, the franchise didn't mandate as much as they do now, but it is what it is.

Points don't matter a lick as far as what makes a good captain as far as I'm concerned. By that reasoning, Bure scored 1.12 PPG; would you say he would've been a better captain than Trevor? Come on.

Secondly, TL has his own charity called the Trevor Linden Foundation. I's for growth and development of kids. Not taking anything away from H Sedin because him and his brother definitely do tonnes themselves and I think that's terrific. Just pointing that out.

TL wasn't as skilled as H Sedin but he had a quality that seems to disappear with Hank and that's heart. He led by example every shift, and didn't disappear out there on the ice occasionally.

In all due respect to Trevor because I absolutely love what he had done for the club on the ice and for the Vancouver community, my vote goes to the 'Steamer', Stan Smyl.

Steamer has bleed for the franchise in more ways than one. He wore the Flying V and Streaking Skate with endless pride. When the Canucks suffered that ridiculous 15-year losing streak, Stan, unfortunately, played 13 seasons with those losing Canuck teams. He never whined and complained about wanting to play for a winner. Even refused a trade to his home province of Alberta to play for the Oilers. The only winner he wanted to play for was here in Vancouver. Unfortunately, the Canucks didn't achieve their next winning season until after Stan's last season - such lousy timing.

I will always remember cheering loudly when Steamer tied Game 4 of the '82 final at 1-1 late in the first period as he got crosschecked to the ice. First and only Canucks goal at home during that final. Stan also never ever backed down from anyone. I wanted to cry after Calgary's Joel Otto's "soccer goal" was allowed after Stan's missed breakaway attempt on Mike Vernon. Here was his chance to score what would've been the biggest goal in franchise history(Bure cured that the same way 5 years later) and due to having his leg hooked by Al MacInnis, Steamer was unable to deke Vernon lowside.

Throughout all the drama that endured the Canucks during the 80s, Steamer was always there. On the ice with his tireless effort and in the dressing room after the game to honestly answer the same questions night after night after night from the Tony Gallaghers and Archie McDonalds in the media.

If you want to know what a complete all-around hockey player is, look back at the kind of player Smyl was. He's still the last NHL player to lead his team in goals, assists, points and penalty minutes('79-'80). He must have had countless Gordie Howe hat-tricks from that season. I am so glad that he's been kept in the organization to this day and now that he's the club's director of player development. Excellent hockey player and a great quality guy.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone who doesn't vote for Linden or Smyl was born after 1985.

Not that I blame them - it would be hard to vote for people you haven't seen them play.

However, take note that most of the older posters on here who actually have seen them play would not vote for anyone but Linden or Smyl (I would personally say Linden, but it's close).

The Canucks have been blessed with some very good Captains !

All great in their own eras -

I cant see how you can say one is better over the others, if you has witnessed then all.

If Trevor was the best Canucks captain ever, why would the owner, fans, players and management have let the fiasco that happened regarding his captaincy? He had the respect of the players and fans, the heart and soul of the team and the leadership and demeanour of a great captain

Having said that I put Trevor at the top along with Kurtenbach, Smyl, Naslund and Henrik not above the others, but not below them either

+210

4 OT goals

34 gwg

0 OT goals

33 gwg

Well said, great point.

+210

4 OT goals

34 gwg

0 OT goals

33 gwg

lol @ thinking stats are what make a great captain, u just proved how little you know

yes hank has donated millions, so has Linden, and he also has his own charity in addition to how much he has donated. And Linden has probably spent thousands of hours doing community service around Vancouver both with the team and outside the team.

you know jack s*** about hockey pre-2010 so just stop please

Good leaders don't let anyone poke them in the face with out standing up for themselves it reflects on the entire team. While in think henrick to be one of the best to play for Vancouver I think he's been a disappointment a far as on ice leader ship. His inability to standup for himself or his teammates has been well documented has helped form this "Vancouver is a soft team" mentality around the league.

Linden, followed by Hank. If you'd asked me 3 or 4 years ago, I would have put Hank probably 3rd or 4th behind Nazzy and/or Smyl. He's really become a leader to be proud of. That said, he hasn't quite reached the Linden level yet in my mind.

surprised McCarthy doesn't have at least a few votes since he's one of only 3 captains to get this team to the cup finals

I know we got destroyed by the Islanders, but nobody was beating that team back then.

McCarthy was injured before the '82 run. Steamer took over and lead them to the finals.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone who doesn't vote for Linden or Smyl was born after 1985.

Not that I blame them - it would be hard to vote for people you haven't seen them play.

However, take note that most of the older posters on here who actually have seen them play would not vote for anyone but Linden or Smyl (I would personally say Linden, but it's close).

Well said. I think that many older folks complain about younger folks not voting for the older guys like Smyl and Linden because they weren't around when they lead the team. But as you said, older folks will often only vote for older players because that's who was in charge when hockey was new, fresh, and exciting to them. People always remember the good 'ol days more fondly than modern days. I'm a bit tempted to vote for Naslund because he was the first Canuck captain I ever experienced as a fan, but I try to look past that bias and vote for who I think was the actual best leader, regardless of when I was around.

Henrik. A few years from now this will be obvious. Linden was a good captain. Henrik is better. His personal stats are way better. The team's record during his tenure is way better. He hasn't finished writing his story.

I've seen all of the Captains on the list play for the Canucks live. It is a two horse race between Linden and Hank. But Hank has now passed Linden and will continue to produce a track record which will one day be viewed as unassailable.

Other than Linden, no one else is even close.

I gave my vote to hank. A lot of successful seasons under his helm, not to mention even as an I individual player, he's nothing but one of the best players in the world.

Personally if you ask, henrik also has surpassed Trevor linden as greatest canucks of all time.

Right now is

1 Pavel bure

2 Henrik sedin

3 daniel sedin

4 Trevor linden.

Archived