The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Captain in Canucks History

thejazz97

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its very very close between Smyl and Trev. I know a lot of you never saw Smyl play,but there was a reason his nickname was the steamer. In an era when dirty play and intimidation tactics were not only tolerated, but vigorously encouraged, Stan held his own against plenty of guys bigger than him.He was pretty fearless, big hits, answered the bell. That is the only reason i pick him over Trev. Trev dished out plenty of big hits and scored some huge goals as well (game 7 rangers :( )but as an overall best captain... its gotta be the steamer.

Its very very close between Smyl and Trev. I know a lot of you never saw Smyl play,but there was a reason his nickname was the steamer. In an era when dirty play and intimidation tactics were not only tolerated, but vigorously encouraged, Stan held his own against plenty of guys bigger than him.He was pretty fearless, big hits, answered the bell. That is the only reason i pick him over Trev. Trev dished out plenty of big hits and scored some huge goals as well (game 7 rangers :( )but as an overall best captain... its gotta be the steamer.

Agreed

Tough one (I have a clear favourite), but can't help thinking "well, what about _____" in consideration of others.

Linden, hands down. From start to finish, he was my guy.

I can't tell you what a huge impact it had on my young son when, at a signing where an announcement was made that there were far more people than anticipated and fans would be limited to 5 seconds and a quick autograph of one item, Trevor cast that aside when it was our turn.

He noticed that I had a video recorder and got up from the table, walked around to where we were to sit my young son on his knee and have a quick "chat". He then said "I think your Mom will want this".

While it may have been unfair to others, it just meant he had to stay that much longer to get through the line up. And it was huge.

That picture says it all...team could hear him screaming in pain from broken ribs but he didn't let on or give up.

With that, loved Nazzy and Hank and both of them have been great captains. But, for personal reasons, Trevor's my guy. He embraced this city, so much so that he stayed on here. And he always gave us his best.

Steamer falls under that category but I really started taking notice when Trevor came on board. That was what solidified me as a true fan of the team.

For me it's Smyl, Linden, Sedin. All quite close for various reasons. These 3 exemplified all the intangibles you look for in a captain and in the end I give Steamer a slight edge over Linden. A case can easily be made for all 3, there is no wrong answer.

Henrik for the current years,

Naslund for the WCE years

Linden for the 90s

Honestly you can't put one over another because there were numerous great captains that Canucks had over the years and to me these 3 are the strongest candidates that I've put out since my time of watching hockey.

Grew up watching them back in the 80's, Smyl, Tiger Williams and Patrick Sundstrom and eventually Craig Coxe were notable players for the team at the time.

Linden for me. Despite Apollo attempting to compare Linden to Henrik with stats, Linden didn't play his whole career here so I don't think that's entirely fair. As many have pointed out there's much more to being a captain and leader and Linden continues to lead this club even today.

Also, take a good long hard look at CDC. Linden got respect on this forum up until he retired for the most part. Naslund was criticized constantly for not being worth 6M a season and declining as are the Sedins now. Many on CDC (definitely not me!) would love to see the Sedins traded/gone rather than continue paying them 7M until they retire even though that's precisely what's going to happen. It's about time we had players drafted and play their whole careers here before retiring in Canucks uniforms!

I'm not saying a single picture can make someone the best captain, but this picture does help illustrate why it's Linden:

A great teammate; respected by everyone around the league (but especially his teammates); playing hurt (with blood on his jersey); carrying the team to wins; almost winning the cup as the 7th seed; elevating his game to new heights when it mattered.

LindenMclean.jpg

Not to mention his work off the ice.

The other captains were good, but not as good as Linden.

You don't think Henrik ever play hurt? You don't think hank was hurt during the 2011 playoffs? The guy had the longest iron man history as a Canuck... He's clearly the better captain.

MVP. Scoring CHAMP. Captained us to back to back presidents...

Smh. If hank was Canadian and trev was Swedish, no one would say this lol.

You have 0 hockey iq. That's one thing I can bet my life on.

Henrik has led more on the ice and off the ice

Henrik 903 points in 1080 games = 0.836/ppg

+210

4 OT goals

34 gwg

Linden 733 points in 1140 games = 0.643/ppg

0 OT goals

33 gwg

Hmmm how about off the ice? Henrik has donated millions and spent hundreds of hours of community service with the team...

I know when Trevor was with the team, the franchise didn't mandate as much as they do now, but it is what it is.

Hanks the best captain in franchise history.

They're more to being a Captain then stats Apollo. You really know for a fact that Hank did more for the community then Linden? Because I remember for a team that didn't mandate as much as you call it, Linden was sure active with the local community throughout his playing career Apollo.

Maybe you should look up NHL King Clancy Memorial award. The award Linden won in 1997. A good four years before Hank joined the league. He was involved with several charitable causes. He started the Trevor Linden foundation which raises money for local charaties and hospitals. He found the "Captain's Crew "which gave Underprivileged Children to attend games in a private suite as his guest . So before you open your mouth about Hank did more then Linden please considered the fact if the league recognized Linden for his charitable work say alot.

They're more to being a Captain then stats Apollo. You really know for a fact that Hank did more for the community then Linden? Because I remember for a team that didn't mandate as much as you call it, Linden was sure active with the local community throughout his playing career Apollo.

Maybe you should look up NHL King Clancy Memorial award. The award Linden won in 1997. A good four years before Hank joined the league. He was involved with several charitable causes. He started the Trevor Linden foundation which raises money for local charaties and hospitals. He found the "Captain's Crew "which gave Underprivileged Children to attend games in a private suite as his guest . So before you open your mouth about Hank did more then Linden please considered the fact if the league recognized Linden for his charitable work say alot.

Honestly I think what I said came out wrong... I'm not disrespecting Trevor. He's a legend and was an amazing captain.

Hank overall has done more though if you ask me. On the ice clearly and also off the ice.

Archived