The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Captain in Canucks History

thejazz97

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You don't think Henrik ever play hurt? You don't think hank was hurt during the 2011 playoffs? The guy had the longest iron man history as a Canuck... He's clearly the better captain.

MVP. Scoring CHAMP. Captained us to back to back presidents...

Smh. If hank was Canadian and trev was Swedish, no one would say this lol.

This is why people like you don't have an open mind. To be honest the THREE of them did a great job as CAPTAIN in they're ERA. Put things into perspective Apollo. Could you say that Hank would had the same success had he played on a crap team throughout the 80's like Smyl. Because imo I don't think Harry Neale could have pulled as big as a trade like Burke did and be able to draft his brother too. Could you say that Hank would have the same success had he played with some of the equipment they had back in the 80's to keep his Iron man streak going?OR Dealing with playing with a wooden stick or dealing with the clutch and grab era in Smyl's and early on in Linden's career? . Would you be saying that Hank would have won a scoring title had he been playing in an era of Gretzky and Super Mario? And do you really think that Hank would have led his team to back to back President's Trophy had he played in a Dynasty era of the Islanders, Oilers, and Penguins like Linden and Smyl did? Are you really going to tell us that .

Hank was fortunate to play on some good Canuck teams and not deal with the clutch and grab era. He was also fortunate enough not to be playing against Dynasty teams. Not once in Hank's Career had he ever played on a team that finished below .500

Smyl never played on a team that finished above .500 once in his 13 year career. And yet was able to produce a point per game in his second season And helped his team to the Stanley Cup final in his fourth season .

Linden was named part time Captain in his second season. And become the youngest Captain in Canuck history. And like Smyl played on some bad teams before he had some great players to play with ,while Hank had a brother to play with his whole career.

I don't look at just stats to justify who was a better Captain Apollo. They were all great Captains in they're TIME.

You don't think Henrik ever play hurt? You don't think hank was hurt during the 2011 playoffs? The guy had the longest iron man history as a Canuck... He's clearly the better captain.

No, I completely agree that Henrik plays hurt - constantly. He takes merciless beatings on a nightly basis, yet is a consistent ironman. I certainly would never question Hank's toughness or willingness to play through pain.

All I'm saying is that Trevor had that trait too, and more.

I agree that Hank is a more skilled player, but being a skilled player does not make a person a great captain, in my opinion.

The difference between the two, for me, is that Trevor was a better leader in big moments. You can argue with me all you want (and I'm sure you will), but to me, Henrik seems to me to be a much better player in the regular season (and against lesser teams like Edmonton and Calgary) than he is in big games in the playoffs.

With Trevor, it was the opposite. And that is something I value in a leader - taking things to the next level when it matters most.

Honestly I think what I said came out wrong... I'm not disrespecting Trevor. He's a legend and was an amazing captain.

Hank overall has done more though if you ask me. On the ice clearly and also off the ice.

I know your not disrespecting Linden. I Knew that from the start.

No offence Apollo. My point is you make it sound like you know for a fact that Hank has done more OFF the ice then Linden. And that's the point.

Both players has done wonders for the community .But please don't tell us that one player has done more then the other when you know for a fact you don't.

Hank MacSedin, our current Canadian captain, IMO, is way better than our popular Swedish captain from the 90s, Trevors Lindensson

I once heard Bieksa interviewed on radio at a dice n ice event.

Henrik came by and they suggested Henrik interview juice.

Hank asked "who's your favorite captain?"

Bieksa replied "Luongo"

They both laughed uncontrollably.

Great stuff

No, I completely agree that Henrik plays hurt - constantly. He takes merciless beatings on a nightly basis, yet is a consistent ironman. I certainly would never question Hank's toughness or willingness to play through pain.

All I'm saying is that Trevor had that trait too, and more.

I agree that Hank is a more skilled player, but being a skilled player does not make a person a great captain, in my opinion.

The difference between the two, for me, is that Trevor was a better leader in big moments. You can argue with me all you want (and I'm sure you will), but to me, Henrik seems to me to be a much better player in the regular season (and against lesser teams like Edmonton and Calgary) than he is in big games in the playoffs.

With Trevor, it was the opposite. And that is something I value in a leader - taking things to the next level when it matters most.

Hank played in a much tougher era then Linden did. Just because Linden scored clutch goals, or had that "warm fuzzy feeling " whenever he spoke or did anything doesn't make him better.

At the end of the day Linden was playing in a cap free world, and had the luxury of having a coach that was also the GM of the team.

I remember Paul Coffey admitting on radio that had the stars of the 80s and 90's been born 10 or 15 years later they would never be stars because the goaltending has gotten much better,the goaltending equipment is much better and the defensive systems are much more advanced than they were in 94.

Despite all of that, Hank not only had the equal amount of success Linden had but he had most successful era in Canucks History.

Apollo normally throws around jokes with all of his posts so no one takes him seriously but for once he is not joking and is actually speaking the truth.

If Sedin was Canadian and Trevor was Swedish there would be no debate that Hank is the better captain. But because that isn't the case we are having this silly debate trying to prove Linden was a better captain just cause he scored clutch goals in a easier era and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling everytime he speaks.

If you throw your emotions out the door and look at it objectively there is no case you can make for Linden being better than hank. But the majority of people think with their emotions not their head so Linden is leading this poll.

Hank played in a much tougher era then Linden did. Just because Linden scored clutch goals, or had that "warm fuzzy feeling " whenever he spoke or did anything doesn't make him better.

At the end of the day Linden was playing in a cap free world, and had the luxury of having a coach that was also the GM of the team.

I remember Paul Coffey admitting on radio that had the stars of the 80s and 90's been born 10 or 15 years later they would never be stars because the goaltending has gotten much better,the goaltending equipment is much better and the defensive systems are much more advanced than they were in 94.

Despite all of that, Hank not only had the equal amount of success Linden had but he had most successful era in Canucks History.

"Tougher era"? No.

More difficult to score goals? Yes. But scoring goals is not a huge part of being a good captain IMO.

More difficult physically? No.

More difficult to score clutch goals? No. There can be only one or two tying or winning goals per game, whether the final score is 6-5 or 2-1.

I also fail to see how the cap era, or having a coach that is also a GM is relevant.

The bottom line is: I like two things in my captain:

1) Toughness (mental and physical)

2) "Clutchness" (ability to be better when it mattered most).

I think Trevor had a slight edge in #1 (though Hank is certainly a very tough dude), and a major edge in #2.

It has nothing to do with whether they are Canadian or Swedish (although I do admit Naslund wasn't my favourite captain either).

I love Henrik (I'm always wearing his jersey that I bought back in 2008), but I've always had a problem with his ability to "get up" for the most important moments. I never felt that way with Trevor.

By the way Ronalds, how old would you have been in 1994?

I'm not saying a single picture can make someone the best captain, but this picture does help illustrate why it's Linden:

A great teammate; respected by everyone around the league (but especially his teammates); playing hurt (with blood on his jersey); carrying the team to wins; almost winning the cup as the 7th seed; elevating his game to new heights when it mattered.

LindenMclean.jpg

Not to mention his work off the ice.

The other captains were good, but not as good as Linden.

^^^ This.

Years later, Linden is still a fan favorite. I was very young when he was the captain, but he was always the heart and soul of the team, and I remember that.

"Tougher era"? No.

More difficult to score goals? Yes. But scoring goals is not a huge part of being a good captain IMO.

More difficult physically? No.

More difficult to score clutch goals? No. There can be only one or two tying or winning goals per game, whether the final score is 6-5 or 2-1.

I also fail to see how the cap era, or having a coach that is also a GM is relevant.

The bottom line is: I like two things in my captain:

1) Toughness (mental and physical)

2) "Clutchness" (ability to be better when it mattered most).

I think Trevor had a slight edge in #1 (though Hank is certainly a very tough dude), and a major edge in #2.

It has nothing to do with whether they are Canadian or Swedish (although I do admit Naslund wasn't my favourite captain either).

I love Henrik (I'm always wearing his jersey that I bought back in 2008), but I've always had a problem with his ability to "get up" for the most important moments. I never felt that way with Trevor.

By the way Ronalds, how old would you have been in 1994?

You conviently left off the most important part of my post and just prove the point I'm trying to get across with your post.

Henrik is the obvious answer.

- More points

- Same team whole career

- Also let to finals

- More community effort (he and his brother put in 1.5M to Children's Hosp, Linden has nothing on that)

1.5 was the only one they announced... They initially didn't want to even announce it but the foundation said they want to publicize it to encourage more donations.

I'm still baffled by how many people aren't saying Hank. The guy is the only canucks captain that is even Hall of fame material.

Wouldn't mind if in 18 years we can say Horvat is the best captain in Nucks history with Henrik being president and Daniel coaching the team ;)

Archived