The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Captain in Canucks History

thejazz97

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(I really want to put Hank and Trevor in a tie...I just can't disregard what Hank has done here...the Sedins have taken us to a new level in this league and there's no denying his greatness. Plus, that other stuff he does out of generosity and in private, without wanting any hoopla or attention for it. Didn't sit right that he wasn't my #1, so it's a shared deal).

I'd probably have said Linden a few years ago and he'll always be one of my all time favourite Canucks... but Hank's the best all around player and captain this team has ever had and he's shown that in the last few years IMO.

Couldn't think of a better guy for Horvat to be mentored by. That Trev's also around running the team is a pretty darn nice cherry to have on top of that.

I'm quite confident there is only a disagreement about "who is the best captain" for two reasons that will likely never be resolved:

1) Some people are making a decision based on "who is the best player who also happened to be captain", while others are basing their decision on "who was the player that was the most effectively utilized their captaincy".

2) I think it's clear that (most) of the younger people on here assume it is Hank (or maybe Linden), while the older people assume it was Linden or Smyl. Again, I don't blame people for not voting for people they weren't around to see play, but just don't make the argument that it is "obviously" Hank, if you never saw Linden or Steamer play.

Was too young to see Linden as our captain and only saw Linden in his latter years when he donned the A. Grew up watching Naslund so I picked Naslund but without a doubt, Henrik's leadership will probably vault him to the top whenever he's retired from hockey.

If people are going to vote based on statistical numbers and past achievements, than Mark Messier should be the unanimous winner.

I mean, he does sit 2nd all-time in scoring, has a Conn Smythe, and six Cup rings.

LMAO !!! Made me spit my coffee out from laughing so hard. Haha + 1 for great humor!

Oh ya and Im sick to freaking death of you young punks, still wet behind the ears, putting words in other peoples mouths.

Just because Hank is the only captain you have ever seen for the Canucks on TV doesn't mean he's the greatest.

First of all I'm not a young punk and been watching hockey since 91. Second of all thinking with your emotions is why people are voting Linden instead of Hank.

If Hank was Canadian, and Trevor was Swedish this is no contest.

Hey guys, let's keep it respectful. These are, after all, simply opinions and to argue is pointless. To each his/her own applies.

It sort of undermines all of them to rip into one in favour of another. Let's show some respect to all of our captains, past and present, as they are mentioned, shall we? (Except that dirtbag Messier because he was never a Canuck and I'm sure that was just a bad nightmare for all of us).

Hey guys, let's keep it respectful. These are, after all, simply opinions and to argue is pointless. To each his/her own applies.

It sort of undermines all of them to rip into one in favour of another. Let's show some respect to all of our captains, past and present, as they are mentioned, shall we? (Except that dirtbag Messier because he was never a Canuck and I'm sure that was just a bad nightmare for all of us).

New York always gets our great products (Bure, Naslund, Av) and we always get garbage back (Messier, Keenan, Torts). I wonder when it evens out, if ever.

I've seen a lot of captains come a go in my long years as a Canucks fan and I would say The Steamer if it wasn't for Captain Canuck himself, Trevor Linden. This guy is an absolute class act, he was the heart and soul of this team and still is to a degree, and he was one hell of a captain. He left it all on the ice every night, hell, he played through broken ribs to try and bring the Cup home to Vancouver! I don't know what more needs to be said. He is someone all young players today should look up to.

Also, we share a birthday, so that's cool too! :P

Archived