The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best Captain in Canucks History

thejazz97

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First of all I'm not a young punk and been watching hockey since 91. Second of all thinking with your emotions is why people are voting Linden instead of Hank.

If Hank was Canadian, and Trevor was Swedish this is no contest.

Nobody has ever accused me of voting with my emotions instead of my head - I'm not that kind of guy. However, it could be that Trevor was more of an "emotional leader", while Hank obviously has more of a "cerebral calmness". So it may be that people who prefer emotional leaders prefer Trevor.

I was around and aware during the cup runs and the missed playoffs during both Henrik and Trevor's tenures. Again, I'm not saying Henrik isn't a good captain, I would just pick Trevor if I had the choice.

And it has nothing to do with Canadian vs. Swedish, although I have noticed a difference in leadership styles between captains from the two countries. Swedish captains, like Lidstrom, Naslund and Sedin, are more reserved, calm and lead by example. Often, (but obviously not always) Canadian captains are more evidently emotional, outspoken, and violent.

Do I like Linden more because he is Canadian? No.

It just so happens that many more Canadians than Swedes exhibit the leadership style that I prefer - and that may or may not have anything to do with where they are from.

Hey guys, let's keep it respectful.

(Except that dirtbag Messier because he was never a Canuck and I'm sure that was just a bad nightmare for all of us).

That's funny.

I wasn't a fan of how things went down here when Messier came over and I don't really like him as a person but he is still one of the best to play the game.

You should take your own advice and show some respect.

That's funny.

I wasn't a fan of how things went down here when Messier came over and I don't really like him as a person but he is still one of the best to play the game.

You should take your own advice and show some respect.

Disrespect was given where disrespect was due.

Been watching NHL since 1978, still pick Linden #1, Henrik #2 and Smyl #3, all were great in their own way- where they come from makes no damn difference.

Having Messier come to Vancouver and the C ripped off Linden the minute Messier stepped into the dressing room was a jerkmove and instead of fixing stupid, they went and did more stupid stuff by trading Linden.

Ya that was brutal! Only a weasel like messier and keenan could pull off a move like that!. Losers!!!

I too have been around for all 3 cup runs and would rate them in the same order. Unless Hank brings us a cup maybe ill change my mind then.

It is somewhat unfair though that Hank has is Brother. I often wonder if we just had Hank and no Dank if Hank would be rated as high as he is ?

The other captains did it all by themselves.

Henrik Sedin without a doubt.

Only reason people are voting Trevor is because Henrik's isn't a good Canadian kid.

First of all I'm not a young punk and been watching hockey since 91. Second of all thinking with your emotions is why people are voting Linden instead of Hank.

If Hank was Canadian, and Trevor was Swedish this is no contest.

First of all, to the Canadian part of your argument. Highly unfounded accusations towards people. If you want to base it on points, go ahead, all though, remembering that Linden did get traded away part way through his prime by *cough* Mike Keenan, would have collected a few more of those along the way as a Canuck also.

But let's go to the argument of the donations, the community, etc. etc. As well as what it means to be a CAPTAIN -

Here are just a couple quick tidbits of information for you:

NHL Foundation Award - is awarded to the NHL player who applies the core values of hockey - commitment, perseverance and teamwork - to enrich the lives of the people in his community. Who is the only Canuck to win this award? "Captain Canuck" Trevor Linden.

The King Clancy Award - is awarded to the NHL player who best exemplifies leadership on and off the ice and who has made a significant humanitarian contribution in his community. - Who is the only Canuck to win this award? You betcha! "Captain Canuck" Trevor Linden.

Who do you think it was that the Sedin twins learned their leadership qualities from? Who taught them what it meant to be a leader, both on the ice and in the community? That suite that Henrik has? The same one that was Nazzy's suite? Guess where that came from? Trevor Linden. It all started as a suite for underprivileged kids to come watch games as Linden's guests in a private suite, known as "The Captain's Crew."

I take nothing away from Henrik Sedin, absolutely nothing. The guy has been a great leader, a great teammate, and damn fine contributor to the City of Vancouver, and the Province of B.C. He is a very, very close 2nd to Trevor Linden. I watched Smyl, I watched Linden, I watched Naslund and I have watched Henrik. But when Naslund and the Sedin's were young, they looked to one guy to find out what it meant to be a Canuck.. and his number hangs between Smyl and Naslund in the rafters. Oh, and it also now looks over Pat Quinn way.

Linded - 1A

Sedin - 1B

Smyl - 3

Naslund - 4

I voted for Trevor... here's some reasons why:

In game emotion and responding / sticking up for your teammates...

Heck sticking up for yourself...

Sacrifice, hard work in both ends of the ice...

Putting a guy through the glass outta the rink...

Invoking fear from pressure...

The keep your head up survival rule...

Inspiring your team with physical play...

Its Linden for me... and my idea of what a captain should also bring to the table.

I want some pushback and truculence with my captain...

For those moments in hockey when Mutual Assured Destruction is the deterrent.

I Honestly thought of Smyl before Henrik...

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/10/05/the-101-greatest-canucks-1-25/

Imagine if Trev or Pavel had a "Twin"...

Or if Hank /Daniel had more Forsberg like physical play...

Just my opinion :)

One thing wrong with this poll. Henrik Sedin ain't finished yet.

What if we catch lightening by the bottle before their time is done here. To me its a toss up between Trevor and Henrik, with Linden maybe edging out Sedin, depending what day it is. But imagine if Henrik leads us to a Cup. And, as an eternal optimist every year, he just may, and if that happened, Henrik would win no question, sorry Trev.

Only if somebody lights a fire under his ass!

Being tuff by virtue of being able to take a beating doesn't cut it in the playoffs. Especially when you end up on your ass after the beating. That's the knock on Hank is that he is too nice to do what needs to be done, and dish it out, instead of just taking it.

And Sorry but a little innocent fish for the puck is not dishin it out no matter what any brain dead commentary has to say about it.

The playoffs is WAR and good polite little hockey players never win the WAR. Its not a WAR of who has better morals, its a WAR of kickin but and scoring goals at what ever the cost. This is hockey. Other wise your just a day dreamer dreaming about..... what if I had.........if only I had.......I wish I had................... :(

Somebody really needs to light a fire under his ass!

Otherwise it will always be Captain Canuck who smashed other captains through the glass, played on crutches and left his heart on the ice.

Only if somebody lights a fire under his ass!

Being tuff by virtue of being able to take a beating doesn't cut it in the playoffs. Especially when you end up on your ass after the beating. That's the knock on Hank is that he is to nice to do what needs to be done and dish it out instead of just taking it.

And Sorry but a little innocent fish for the puck is not dishin it out no matter what any brain dead commentary has to say about it.

The playoffs is WAR and good polite little hockey players never win the WAR. Its not a WAR of who has better morals, its a WAR of kickin but and scoring goals at what ever the cost. This is hockey. Other wise your just a day dreamer dreaming about..... if only I had.....what if I had..... I wish I had.....

Somebody really needs to light a fire under his ass!

Otherwise it will always be Captain Canuck who smashed other captains through the glass, played on crutches and left his heart on the ice.

This needed more than just a +1. QFT.

Best person that was never named captain. Tiger Williams.

The effect he had coming to the team was huge. He always had hope, even when the fans, players and coaches didn't. Eventually it rubbed off on the team and led to the run of 82.

I think if we ever win a cup we will need at least someone like tiger. Hank has that but its just not visible so never rubs off on the team.

I've been watching the team from the beginning and voted Linden. But I get why people would vote for Smyl, Henrick, or even Naslund too. There are so many issues here: do we mean the best leader regardless of pure talent, best player who was also captain, the guy who was captain on the gutsiest team, or something else? I tend to go with the first definition, and voted Linden on that basis. Others who accept that criterion might have voted Smyl and I'm fine with that. Trevor might not have been everything he was without some mentorship from Smyl: I'm hoping for the same with Henrick and Bo. Other deeply underrated guys who aren't being discussed were Boudrias and Lever, who got us from being doormats into the playoffs for the first time and into the beginning of the Smyl era. That ability to elevate a team, to get it to turn the corner from being horrible to respectable or even good, is the biggest thing for me. By that standard, guys like Boudrias, Lever, Linden and Naslund stand out. In that group I go with Linden because he did it at the youngest age, took us on the best and most convincing cup run we've had, and gave absolutely everything in the process. When Linden joined the team, you could tell that things were going to get a whole lot better, and they did.

Maniwaki;

So last night the greatest Captain in Canuck history was sitting high above the ice continuing his role along with GM Jim Benning, another Canuck alumni. Smyl was likely somewhere around there as well. Sorry but I have never had the same confidence in Naslund or Henrik.

Archived