The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Large Hadron Collider Could Detect Extra Dimensions

babych

I guess what I take umbrage with in your post is that you seem to suggest that scientists had no idea what would happen when they split the atom, when actually the reverse was true.

Quantum mechanics holds a special place in science in that theory led experimentation, which was a huge paradigm shift. Up to that point it was the reverse: scientists did experiments and then came up with a theory (mathematical model) to explain why it happened and provide predictive powers.

Quantum theory predicted that splitting the atom and releasing the "missing mass" as energy would provide roughly 1 million times the power that conventional reactions could muster.

The issue was that the technology wasn't up to snuff. Scientists didn't "stumble upon" atomic energy - they worked their way to it.

Like it or not, Hiroshima wasn't an accident - it was a deliberate effort to harness energies that scientists knew were out there.

So to suggest that the people working on the LHC are nothing more than dabbling amateurs (which is what you are saying, agree or not) is an insult to science and the people who have spent their lives do work deeper than you or I could ever understand.

Fear-mongering aside, there is only excitement (not terror) waiting for us when the LHC is turned back on.

Too funny... NO ONE knows whats going to happen tomorrow! I'd better not use a can opener to open up my tomato soup or it might cause a zombie apocalypse! It's all just theories!

Someone is babysitting again. I hope you are getting paid for it. Dral can take care of himself, he doesn't need your help. If you don't like what I post, ignore it and keep your mouth shut if it is not directed at you (like Dral's was at me). There are enough mini mods trying to become real mods here already. Nobody knows what is going to happen, NO ONE. It is hypothesis and just like when they SPLIT THE ATOM, there are very severe consequences (evidence: See Hiroshima, Russia or Japan). Otherwise, Stephen Hawking can keep blowing into his straw...

First off, you do realize you're posting on a public forum right? Would you like me to keep my mouth shut as well, or can only those who agree with you post?

I think there should be a 'ban poster from thread vote' option so these good threads stop getting hijacked.

Secdonly,tThe LHC isn't exactly 'making' black holes (that is impossible according to Einsteins' theory), it is merely detecting the presence of them. The theory from this article (from what I gather) is that the universe is full of minute black holes accounting for 'dark matter'. Since matter bends space creating gravity, and gravity is theorized to go through different dimensions, it would help to prove/disprove the existence of extra dimensions or parallel universes.

This brings me to a question maybe someone else can answer though, if they discover a minute black hole, how would that prove other dimensions exist? Wouldn't it just prove that all that extra gravity caused by dark matter would be from tiny black holes? I'm basing this question off of literally what is posted in the article which I most certainly think I'm reading wrong as it seems very complicated.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone is babysitting again. I hope you are getting paid for it. Dral can take care of himself, he doesn't need your help. If you don't like what I post, ignore it and keep your mouth shut if it is not directed at you (like Dral's was at me). There are enough mini mods trying to become real mods here already. Nobody knows what is going to happen, NO ONE. It is hypothesis and just like when they SPLIT THE ATOM, there are very severe consequences (evidence: See Hiroshima, Russia or Japan). Otherwise, Stephen Hawking can keep blowing into his straw...

Brick, I am picking up alot of frustration from some of your posts. Dont let CDC get you down. This place can rustle even the most starched jimmies. Here is a little humor to lighten your day.

Brick, I am picking up alot of frustration from some of your posts. Dont let CDC get you down. This place can rustle even the most starched jimmies. Here is a little humor to lighten your day.

When you believe the sky is green, your jimmies will be rustled every time you look at it. Has nothing to do with CDC.

Archived