The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TEAM TOUGHNESS

hockeygod77

The canucks showed what i was looking for against the kings today...they had team toughness..to win the cup you need that ingredient...Eddy lack has great mental skills..he also said he would have gone with quick anytime..now thats what i like...keep the game simple and hard work will get their bounces.....to win in the nhl is not easy and if the canucks have an overall plan to know its time turn things up I'm thinking they got a team to go deep...smart hockey and team toughness is what i liked in the team today...simple game but stuck to the plan..

What I'm coming to learn in my love of rock 'em sock 'em hockey is that you have to pick your battles and time them right. If you have momentum and the other team's trying to pull you off that - no. Let them be the aggressors and, hopefully, end up short handed as a result so you can keep things rolling.

But when another team is taking liberties and they're gaining some steam as a result, you have to push back at them.

And yes, I am an NHL coach in my mind.

Balance. Hockey smarts AND toughness...need both.

I agree they showed some grit today. I also don't think they can handle that LA King size in a playoff series. A good effort never the less but I am not forgetting the two (very lucky) empty netters

People forget we are a fairly big team as well. The guys that aren't physically big play big.

Great win! And yes there was some battle in our boys. But as far as toughness Canucks are still on the receiving end far too often.

Benning needs to keep retooling this team to get younger, faster, BIGGER, TOUGHER. Today was great but a 7 game playoff series against the Kings when the refs put away their whistles would not be pretty.

Grit is essential and if we push back or take the odd liberty I think this team can kill a penalty or two.

That must drive opposing teams crazy to get punched in the head and then they can't score on the 5 on 4.

Oddly enough the Kings only goal was on the power play after a Canuck (Hamhuis?) took a retaliation penalty.

The Kings get a lot of credit for being a great team and justifiably so with their recent SCF successes. But, they are not a high scoring team, and their power play has been a key factor for them. This time, they went over the line and it bit them.

You live by the sword and you die by the sword.

What I'm coming to learn in my love of rock 'em sock 'em hockey is that you have to pick your battles and time them right. If you have momentum and the other team's trying to pull you off that - no. Let them be the aggressors and, hopefully, end up short handed as a result so you can keep things rolling.

But when another team is taking liberties and they're gaining some steam as a result, you have to push back at them.

And yes, I am an NHL coach in my mind.

Balance. Hockey smarts AND toughness...need both.

That's really the challenge, though, picking the spots. If you just goon it up, it often backfires. If you don't do enough, you're pushed around. Players and coaches that know the right timing and degree can be very successful using their role players effectively (yes, it still has a role in today's NHL, just not the old-school dedicated enforcers).

Loved watching Lack stick up for himself at the end after getting drilled, and his skate towards Quick ready to rock after Quick decided to go after Hank. How can you not defend this guy when he's willing to put his own ass on the line for the team?

Me too, totally agree.

We need a tough d-man like Pedan ( comets d-man ) Bieksa can't do it all by himself back there, specially when he is coming off a broken hand

edler did alot of the dirty work in front of the net and was very physical. Played 25 minutes against a big team

edler did alot of the dirty work in front of the net and was very physical. Played 25 minutes against a big team

Agreed I thought Edler was physical today.

Canucks still need more size and toughness. Every King defenseman has more than 100 hits and their forwards are huge..scoring centers -Carter and Kopitar and their bottom 6 grinders are huge and hit

It's all about playing for each other, and that's what I see in the Canucks this season. When things get heated and testy, every guy will jump in. Besides, it wasn't like Henrik was skating full speed into Quick. Quick had his usual temper tantrum and assumed Hank intended to do it.

Archived