The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TEAM TOUGHNESS

hockeygod77

I felt the Kings totally dominated physical play and it took a major penalty and two-man advantage to get the lead against them. For that major penalty they took, we could very well have lost Burr for the season. The win was important, but OUCH.

edler did alot of the dirty work in front of the net and was very physical. Played 25 minutes against a big team

Agree, he really stepped up big defensively against LA'a big strong forward group all game long. He really has been playing some of his best hockey lately.

Sbisa also rose to the occasion with a solid effort and big hits.

Great win but lets not get ahead of ourselves. 1 win against LA does not mean a deep Cup run.

Typical CDC. 1 loss and the Canucks are the worse team ever. 1 win and we are in the Cup final.

No one's saying (aside from Apollo) they're gonna win the cup because they beat the Kings but can't we just be happy our playoff spot is a bit more secure? Talk about Buzz Killington.

We pulled that win out of our ass, and it was definitely against the run of play but boy did we need that. Twisting the dagger a little more in LA's playoff hopes. Calgary is looking preeetttyyyy good as a first round matchup. Going to be like the Wild-Avs matchup of last year, two bottom of the rung teams playing exciting hockey.

Agreed I thought Edler was physical today.

Canucks still need more size and toughness. Every King defenseman has more than 100 hits and their forwards are huge..scoring centers -Carter and Kopitar and their bottom 6 grinders are huge and hit

this is why we kinda need Kassian back soon, and get him ready for the playoffs. He might not be Todd Bertuzzi at any point but if he becomes Segio Momesso oh my gawd, other team better look out.

Agreed I thought Edler was physical today.

Canucks still need more size and toughness. Every King defenseman has more than 100 hits and their forwards are huge..scoring centers -Carter and Kopitar and their bottom 6 grinders are huge and hit

Any efforts to add size and toughness should not come at the expense of hockey playing ability. Adding big tough guys who can't play will only water down our roster. If you want a tough, skilled team, you get players that are tough and skilled at the same time (this is what the Kings have done, as you mentioned) not some players that are very tough and some that are very skilled. You have to max out both traits. You don't try to balance the two against each other - that's what Gillis did after 2011 and it caused us to partially lose what made us such a good team in the first place.

I'm of the opinion that the style you choose to play doesn't matter as much as how well you can execute that style. It's not how you play the game, it's how well you play the game.

we tried hard against kings but next yr we need some hitters on team only guys that hit are horvat kenins bieska sbisa and edler rest of the team is so soft or take lazy penalties. ( hammer hansen) looking forward to kassian back bigger meaner faster wins hockey

virtanen will help so will gaunce. As big as mattias is he plays so soft. That dirty play on burrows coukd have been so much worse i hooe guy is suspended at least 5 games.

draft rasmus anderson in first

hamhuis looks old and horrible trade him at draft before his value is gone

higgins hansen richardson mattias markstrom jensen, vey, bonino shoukd be traded for a second line c that can score and another lefthand dman

next yrs team

sedin sedin burrows

baerchi 2nd c vrbata

kenins horvat dorsett bottom two lines both beasted up

kass gaunce virtanen this line would destroy teams westcoast doom line

edler tanev

new ld clendening

stanton bieska

sbisa rasmus anderson (assist machine could ppqb our first unit)

corrado

Loved watching Lack stick up for himself at the end after getting drilled, and his skate towards Quick ready to rock after Quick decided to go after Hank. How can you not defend this guy when he's willing to put his own ass on the line for the team?

I for one love goalie fights and totally agree with what you're saying about lack sticking up for the team. But the thought of lack fighting with the potential of getting injured in a fight makes me hope he stays away from that stuff at this point in the season. With Miller already out, an injury to Lack would almost certainly mean the Canucks missing the playoffs. Not trying to bash Markstrom by any means but I just don't see him being ready to take over the number one spot in a pressured moment in the season.

we tried hard against kings but next yr we need some hitters on team only guys that hit are horvat kenins bieska sbisa and edler rest of the team is so soft or take lazy penalties. ( hammer hansen) looking forward to kassian back bigger meaner faster wins hockey

virtanen will help so will gaunce. As big as mattias is he plays so soft. That dirty play on burrows coukd have been so much worse i hooe guy is suspended at least 5 games.

draft rasmus anderson in first

hamhuis looks old and horrible trade him at draft before his value is gone

higgins hansen richardson mattias markstrom jensen, vey, bonino shoukd be traded for a second line c that can score and another lefthand dman

next yrs team

sedin sedin burrows

baerchi 2nd c vrbata

kenins horvat dorsett bottom two lines both beasted up

kass gaunce virtanen this line would destroy teams westcoast doom line

edler tanev

new ld clendening

stanton bieska

sbisa rasmus anderson (assist machine could ppqb our first unit)

corrado

even if we got a grade a 2c that roster gets shredded oilers style.

What I'm coming to learn in my love of rock 'em sock 'em hockey is that you have to pick your battles and time them right. If you have momentum and the other team's trying to pull you off that - no. Let them be the aggressors and, hopefully, end up short handed as a result so you can keep things rolling.

But when another team is taking liberties and they're gaining some steam as a result, you have to push back at them.

And yes, I am an NHL coach in my mind.

Balance. Hockey smarts AND toughness...need both.

I agree. Hits should be made when the its necessary. For example, to separate the puck carrier from the puck. Don't just be hitting to hit, like after the puck has left. If you have the opponent lined up and the puck is there, go and hit them hard. This will cause them to rush the pass and make a mistake. If the puck has already left, then even if you have them lined up, hitting would possibly result in a penalty, so don't.

Be clean, respect the opponents, play hard. However, it's probably reaaly hard to respect an opponent like LA made up of a diver (Brown), whiner and a coward hiding behind his teammates (Quick), and dirty player giving cheap whacks at your goalies (Williams).

I agree they showed some grit today. I also don't think they can handle that LA King size in a playoff series. A good effort never the less but I am not forgetting the two (very lucky) empty netters

People forget we are a fairly big team as well. The guys that aren't physically big play big.

As support for EKCANUCKFAN's position, I would point out that while the Canucks are a tall team, they are not a heavy team.

Look at the number of guys who are 200 pounds or over on the Canucks and compare that to the Kings. There are only 8 players with the Canucks who are 200 pounds or more. The Kings have only 6 guys who are under 200 pounds (as do the Ducks). And they have comparable size in the height department.

Guys like Dorsett will have to play very big should the Canucks meet the Kings in the playoffs.

regards,

G.

this is why we kinda need Kassian back soon, and get him ready for the playoffs. He might not be Todd Bertuzzi at any point but if he becomes Segio Momesso oh my gawd, other team better look out.

That's a great comparison; same size, same flashes of brilliance, same frustrating inconsistency. Hasn't seemed quite as mean this season though.

I agree. Hits should be made when the its necessary. For example, to separate the puck carrier from the puck. Don't just be hitting to hit, like after the puck has left. If you have the opponent lined up and the puck is there, go and hit them hard. This will cause them to rush the pass and make a mistake. If the puck has already left, then even if you have them lined up, hitting would possibly result in a penalty, so don't.

Be clean, respect the opponents, play hard. However, it's probably reaaly hard to respect an opponent like LA made up of a diver (Brown), whiner and a coward hiding behind his teammates (Quick), and dirty player giving cheap whacks at your goalies (Williams).

I disagree with your first statement. Finishing your check is one thing that should always be done - of course not late enough to be penalized but you shoudl always finish your check. It could be the difference between winning a cup and not - If you finish your checks you eventually wear them down - leading to mistakes as well.. especially against defense man .. you need to wear down the webers and charas until they're hurting..

I agree with your second statement. It is definitely about being clean and being respectful to other players because you wouldn't want it done to yourself.

Archived