The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any clear Stanley Cup favourites this year?

HC20.0

I would pick the Rangers to come out of the East..and the Ducks out of the West..with the SC going to the Ducks...Although,this year there are so many variables,and no clear cut favourite (especially if LA misses the playoffs)...This year,more than the last few,has the makings of a 'dark horse' team, getting on a roll,and rolling right into the finals.

How long do you consider "a while"?

LA did it less than 3 years ago.

I only said a while because that Kings team was so much better than an 8th seed. They just had a terrible regular season and once they got to the playoffs they dominated.

I think some of your assessments are off in the op, but I agree that there aren't really 2 of clear cut favorites. If I had to choose I'd say the Ducks/Rangers. With St. Louis, Chicago, and Nashville also in the west and Tampa, Islanders, and Montreal in the east. It should be one of these 8 teams. Outside of that it will be a surprise.

Bolts, Rangers, Hawks, Ducks, for the final 4 is my guess.

Tampa has had Montreal's number, and I don't think anyone else could win that division.

Isles and Pens aren't good enough defensively, Caps have a chance but Rangers are just too good.

Blues will find a way to lose, Preds and Wild have been good but I don't see either beating the Hawks.

Doubt anyone's able to take out Anaheim early, they were already better than last season then just got better at the deadline.

I wouldn't say completely wide open playoffs. the east - really tough to pick from MTL, TBL and NYR but I expect all 3 to cruise through the first round, and MTL to win the east.

The west is tough - ANA, STL, and NSH are scary, but I don't think any of them will breeze thru CHI, LAK, or Calgary. ANA or NSH out of the west though.

I never pick an East team to win the Cup, because it's generally the inferior conference, but this year I could easily see the Rangers or Lightning winning it all. I'll never be convinced by Montreal, Price is all they have. You can't just ride a good goalie anymore, teams need depth.

From the East: Ottawa, NYR, MTL. Ottawa has that late season spark and streak going for them. Wouldn't be surprised to see MTL or NYR bounced in the first round.

From the West: Nashville, Chicago (if Kane returns soon enough), and perhaps WPG. I would not be surprised if WPG bumps ANA or STL in the first round. Chicago has that playoff leadership and will find a way to go deep.

That being said, I can't remember a year in recent memory where it could literally be a wide open race for the cup. All teams seem to have clear weaknesses.

Archived