The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Any clear Stanley Cup favourites this year?

HC20.0

Overrated:

Montreal - Same problems as last year, really. Depends on too much from Subban, and watch Patches be shut down. Galchenyuk is improved, but there are a lot of teams with better secondary threats. If they play Boston in round one, don't automatically assume Montreal will win the series. Krejci is coming back soon, they're pretty much healthy, making them a threat to win a round or two. A lot of their success depends on just how much gas is left in Chara's tank.

Tampa Bay - Seems to be more of a regular season team than a playoff team. Not that I would count them out entirely because they are very deep, but watch some of those high-scoring kids get rattled in big, physical games. They should be able to beat Detroit, on paper, but considering the two teams play identical styles, with all that playoff experience still there, do you really count out the Red Wings? A lot depends on whether Datsyuk and Zetterberg can still stay healthy for a run.

NYI - They made strides this season, for sure, but I see them as being very beatable in the post-season. It's easy to send them to the penalty box, for starters, and that's where a team like Pittsburgh should destroy them.

Pittsburgh - They have problems of their own. Still needs perhaps too much from Crosby and Malkin, and they both have trouble staying 100% these days. A team such as the Islanders will be banging them all series long so it's a matter of whether or not they can sustain that. That series will be close and hard-fought. You'd think Pittsburgh's experience would win out, but at the same time they've been underwhelming in the post-season for awhile now.

St. Louis - Just not sold on them. Not enough top-end skill, with all due respect to Tarasenko. Just not enough killer instinct still and guys like Backes can be out-skilled at the drop of a hat. The AP-JBo pairing has been good, but not great this year. And is anyone sold on that goaltending?

Nashville - Fading late here. Don't like the additions that they made. Two Leafs? Yikes. The offense has to come from a lot of playoff-unproven elements and a fading, distracted force in Ribeiro. They do have a tremendous defense and a great goaltender, but we've seen this lose in the playoffs before.

Anaheim - Their prospects did not rise as quickly as their team needed to this season to make a decent run imho. This led to them making some additions for speed and skill, and I don't really like the additions that they made. Getzlaf and Perry can only get them so far. If they get LA, that spells trouble for them, as even if they beat LA, it will take perhaps too much out of them to progress any further. Winnipeg is a bit easier, but again that series will be physical.

Calgary - What a fluke team this season, like Colorado last season. Totally not sold on Johnny Hockey, who's been given the green light all season to skate around all over the ice and make plays, but if they gave Baertschi the same green light instead, they would be parading around him instead. Monahan is good, but still just a kid. The lack of experience as a whole should see them lose. If they get Giordano gets healthy, it will be closer, but he won't make much of a difference. Calgary is easily the weakest team in the playoffs. Just seems totally fake.

Winnipeg - While I like them better than Calgary, as they have more power and playoff experience, there's just too many weaknesses with the team to ignore. Their goaltender is easily beatable on a good day, and their top scoring isn't quite there. They can throw their weight around, sure, but if the finish around the net is lacking, that will be meaningless. Just seems to have a few players who are in over their heads.

Vancouver - Their success in the playoffs really depends on who they face. The Sedins evaporate against Cali teams, so their offense in that case will have to come from the few other elements they have. Horvat is great, but he is just a kid. The defense is declining a bit, especially Hamhuis, and Tanev can be broken via hard checking. They do have some depth though and WD is good at making adjustments. If they face a team like Calgary, their experience should put them through. Beyond that it's anyone's guess. To win a cup it would take some divine intervention. If LA misses the playoffs altogether and if Chicago chokes early, that would be nice.

Montreal - they will thrive in the playoffs, I assure you, Pacman is having a great season and should continue his performance post-season, Dale Weise might pull some unsuspecting tricks again, Price is one of the hardest goalkeepers to go against post-season, and the team is loaded with post-season experience.

NYI - I'm actually very surprised at how that team suddenly got better this year after sucking for 4-5 years, now's the time for Tavares, Nielsen, Okposo and Halak to shine.

Calgary - I don't think they're such a fluke team, they have players that are working together much like the 2008 Penguins, but IMO they don't have that post-season pressure stamina but we'll have to wait and see.

Winnipeg - finally they're back in business, I'm eager to see how they do.

Vancouver - ugh I hate to predict what this team will do this year, but they'll probably be out in the first round.

Ottawa - Hammond, where did he come from? If he keeps up, maybe they'll go far, but first they need to bump Boston out before the end of the season.

I just want 5 Canadian teams in the playoffs this year, I haven't been this thrilled about the NHL playoffs in quite some time.

Depends who they play. I could see Ottawa or Washington upsetting them, but not Boston or Florida.

Why Ottawa? They're on a run right now that's more overrated than what Montreal has done this season, certainly. However it would be fun to see the Sens win that matchup. Bring it on.

Agreed with Washington. I wouldn't be a sleeper on them if they have OV finally playing some responsible hockey. They're still a bit reliant on the power play though.

I'd say Chicago is the main threat to win it all. They're facing a massive cap crunch in the offseason so there may be a bunch of big changes then. So final run with this core of theirs intact? I hope they lose. What a spoiled, entitled franchise.

As for the Canucks, it's cup or bust.

Teams that are likely to win the cup:

NY Rangers

Tampa Bay

St. Louis

Chicago

Teams that wouldn't surprise me if they win the cup:

Montreal

Pittsburgh

NY Islanders

Nashville

Teams that have a better shot at winning the cup than you probably give them credit for:

Washington

Minnesota

Calgary

Ottawa

Teams that would need a ton of luck to win, but you already probably knew that:

Detroit

Winnipeg

Vancouver

Teams that you thought were good, but aren't likely to win:

Anaheim

Los Angeles

Boston

Teams that are likely to win the cup:

NY Rangers

Tampa Bay

St. Louis

Chicago

Teams that wouldn't surprise me if they win the cup:

Montreal

Pittsburgh

NY Islanders

Nashville

St. Louis

Anaheim

NY Rangers

Tampa Bay

Chicago

Teams that have a better shot at winning the cup than you probably give them credit for:

Washington

Minnesota

Calgary

Ottawa

Vancouver

NY Islanders

Teams that would need a ton of luck to win, but you already probably knew that:

Detroit

Winnipeg

Vancouver

Ottawa

Teams that you thought were good, but aren't likely to win:

Anaheim

Los Angeles

Boston

Detroit

Montreal

My picks.

West:

1. Ducks

2. Blues

3. Canucks(Canucks would beat Blues if met in playoffs)

4. Preds

East:

1. Rangers

2. Lightning

3. Canadiens

4. Penguins

Could surprise:

1. Senators

2. Jets

3. Capitals

4. Kings (to make playoffs, if in you can add them to favourite to win west over Ducks)

I think favorites will be determined once we know match ups. Once we can bracket out predicted results we could see who matches up favourably and roadmap to the cup.

My prediction is:

NYR vs WSH- NYR

PIT vs NYI- NYI

TBL vs OTT- TBL

MTL vs DET- MTL

2ND ROUND

NYR vs NYI- NYR

TBL vs MTL- TBL

3RD ROUND

NYR VS TBL- NYR

STL vs WPG- STL

NSH vs CHI- CHI

ANA vs MIN- ANA

VAN vs CAL- VAN

2ND ROUND

STL vs CHI- STL

ANA vs VAN- VAN (winner of this series wins west-canuck bias on prediction of this round only)

3RD ROUND

STL vs VAN- VAN

SCF= NYR vs VAN

AV is 0-2 in SCF

Canucks are 0-3 in SCF

AV former canucks coach

What a SCF itd be

All we need is for some crazy reason ANA gets knocked out in the first round and we beat Calgary then we play whoever. Upsets have happened b4. Then we have Nash and win then we are in the finals . Like I can honestly say I have this feeling we are going to surprise ALOT of people.

BO HORVAT is gonna go ham in the playoffs Just Saying

teams in the west I'm weary of are Nashville and Anaheim, all others are very beatable. STL isn't near as good as everyone puts them up to be they may bow out in the 1st round if not 1st then 2nd for sure. Calgary and Van to meet in the first and we take em out in 5 or 6 then it's smooth sailing to the conference finals

Archived