The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No Hearing for Toffoli

Mackcanuck

I think Moore is a POS, but buddy, Bertuzzi fricken' broke his neck for crying out loud. Jesus Christ, if the roles were reversed and Moore broke Bertuzzi's neck, you guys wouldn't be making jokes about it at all, like EVER. You never wish an injury on other players, that's just being classless.. What are we, Bruins fans? Jesus.

All i'm saying is, joking or not, hoping for someone to break someone else's neck and ruin their career/livelyhood/LIFE is going a little bit over the top.

Burr's neck could have been broken there? That's how quickly it happens...so let's look at the big picture, not just snippets with something someone said.

I didn't "hope for" someone's neck to be broken or to be injured...actually, I'm hoping for the opposite which is the point of my comment.. So that's your spin. I hinted that, in overlooking this incident the league is setting themselves up for more of the same. That it sends a message that "some" hits into the boards are ok. They're not. So don't put words that aren't there into this. That entire incident played out under the watchful eye of the league (who sat in the stands for that fateful game). And so they have an obligation to be more proactive and not do what they're doing, in allowing some things to slide through based on an explanation. Because it then leaves them unresolved.

Actually, my comment is more directed at the fact that I'd like the league to help PREVENT necks from being broken (including Burr's AND Tiffoleaguesbaby). But they're still missing the mark.

Unreal how biased the NHL is against Burrows and the Canucks. If that were Burrows hitting Toffoli in the same fashion he would've gotten 4 games. Look at both of Edlers suspensions ( Smith and Hertl) both were no where near as dirty as what Toffoli did. look at Aaron Romes hit on Horton and tell me this wasnt worse? Disgusting how inconsistent the NHL is..... actually I correct my last statement, they are incredibly consistent when it comes to screwing the Canucks and their players.

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma 24m24 minutes ago
Anxious for @NHLPlayerSafety explanation on Toffoli not being fined or suspended for Burrows hit. Maybe we get a power-point presentation.

And the response from Sportsnet Spector

Mark Spector@SportsnetSpec 24m24 minutes ago
@benkuzma 5 and a game was sufficient. Was a shove, not a heavy hit. VAN got game-winner on PP. Justice served.

Should be at least something. Fine? 1 game?

The moment CBC said the league will wait til the morning before deciding whether there is going to be a hearing in the morning because last night was 'too busy' I knew something was up. They just wanted the emotions to pass overnight before telling us there would be no discipline.

They should've let Burrows sit and just announce to the world that he has a concussion. Then it would've been harder for them not to suspend F-face.

Unreal! Mike Murphy remember him? ?? VP NHL hockey operations was on the record stating he wanted the Kings to go far in the playoffs back in 2010. Former LA Kings captain for 7 years! !

Murphy is the senior vice-president of the N.H.L., hockey operations.

Controversies:

As NHL vice-president of hockey operations, Murphy was forced to make a tough call during game three of the first round of the 2010 Stanley Cup. Murphy disallowed what was first ruled as a 3-4 goal on the ice for the Vancouver Canucks against Murphy's former team, the Los Angeles Kings. The incident is one of many that has called for greater NHL transparency from the public.[1] The official ruling stated that, "Video Review was used to determine whether the puck was kicked into the net by Vancouver's Daniel Sedin with a kicking motion. Upon review, it was determined that the puck was propelled into the net by a kicking motion. This was not a deflection. The direction the puck was moving and the force of the skate were the determining factors in concluding 'no goal'".[2] According to rule 49.2 of the NHL, "A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking players skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident."[3] Later, in an interview with CBC Hockey Night in Canada, Murphy admitted that the puck was not kicked in a "distinct kicking motion", as the official NHL rules require, yet Murphy maintained his position on the judgement.[2]

Unreal! Mike Murphy remember him? ?? VP NHL hockey operations was on the record stating he wanted the Kings to go far in the playoffs back in 2010. Former LA Kings captain for 7 years! !

Controversies:

As NHL vice-president of hockey operations, Murphy was forced to make a tough call during game three of the first round of the 2010 Stanley Cup. Murphy disallowed what was first ruled as a 3-4 goal on the ice for the Vancouver Canucks against Murphy's former team, the Los Angeles Kings. The incident is one of many that has called for greater NHL transparency from the public.[1] The official ruling stated that, "Video Review was used to determine whether the puck was kicked into the net by Vancouver's Daniel Sedin with a kicking motion. Upon review, it was determined that the puck was propelled into the net by a kicking motion. This was not a deflection. The direction the puck was moving and the force of the skate were the determining factors in concluding 'no goal'".[2] According to rule 49.2 of the NHL, "A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking players skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident."[3] Later, in an interview with CBC Hockey Night in Canada, Murphy admitted that the puck was not kicked in a "distinct kicking motion", as the official NHL rules require, yet Murphy maintained his position on the judgement.[2]

Yeah I remember that. What a &^@#ing joke!

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma 24m24 minutes ago

Anxious for @NHLPlayerSafety explanation on Toffoli not being fined or suspended for Burrows hit. Maybe we get a power-point presentation.

And the response from Sportsnet Spector

Mark Spector@SportsnetSpec 24m24 minutes ago

@benkuzma 5 and a game was sufficient. Was a shove, not a heavy hit. VAN got game-winner on PP. Justice served.

Spector is a joke. So if the Canucks didnt score on the PP, justice wouldnt be served and Toffoli would be suspended?

I always thought that the outcome of the game and the condition of the player weighed very little in decisions like this.

i love hockey but the NHL is a &^@#ing joke of a league. It's sad that you know that Alien looking Toffli wouldnt get anything cause the LA Queens are the NHLs darling and they want everyone available for them to make the playoffs.

Im more surprised they didn't fine Burrows for not getting injured in that hit. :rolleyes: And how about a fine for Brown after his Olympic dive in front of the ref? ah nvm..... :picard:

Controversies:

He should have been fired 5 years ago after that. Got screwed then and now nothing for Toffoli or Brown.

why are people so mad?

oh because it's the mean old NHL against Burrows and the Canucks right this only happens to this team right

Burrows came back which helped Toffoli because the NHL has stayed consistent on one thing and that is they punish the injury not the act

5 minute major and kicked out of the game ultimately losing the game and a crucial 2 points is fair enough at most they could of given him a fine or 1 game but they didn't move on and stop with the conspiracy bs

Maybe the Canucks management is weak on these issues. Maybe the league is more afraid of owners like Boston and LA.

In any case the penalty the refs dished out should have made the play reviewable at least, and by doing nothing they are sending a bad message to all minor league players and parents that you could have your kids neck broken and it is OK.

Archived