The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biggest Surprises This Year (Positive and Negative)

JamesB

Winning percentage in hockey is as meaningful as pitcher wins in baseball. If you give up 5 goals and your team scores 6, you get the win, yet it was a win in spite of your performance, not because of it.

The best way to compare goalies is the simplest. Save %, and GAA. Miller's stats in those two salient categories don't remotely befit a goalie eating up 6 mil a year in cap space. Lack has played better, and at a fraction of the cost.

Yeah but when was the last time Miller allowed 5 goals in and we scored 6.

I can bring up one case from lack in that regard that is less than a couple weeks old.

Sometimes its not how many saves you make but when you make them that counts. Miller is the perfect example of this. When our defence was bending for the injuries miller never broke and allowed a ton of goals.

Also do you honestly think lack would have had the amount of success that Miller had in terms of winning?

When Calgary had Kipper he was also a great example of this.

(1)gimme a break.. save % and GAA isn't the only goalie stats out there.. if that's the case a lot of goalies we play against is the reincarnation of George Vezina..(2) Look at all the shots we had against Quick last night and Smith tonight? they were playing decent but weren't great.. but stats tells you otherwise they were standing on their head and their team sucked for not coming out with 2 points.. (3)Lack is great this year.. but he still needs to work on consistency and not decides to play your best against the best out there and then come back with mediocre performance vs crap teams like buffalo NJ Columbus etc. He's still young and i'm sure he'll eventually have those games in lock down mode. (4)Goalies objective is to keep your team in the game and win in any means necessary.. i can really care less if he wins the game 10-9 or 1-0 at the end of the day you just need to keep the puck out of the net 1 more than the guy across the rink from you

(1) Could you then point me to other objective goalie stats that we can survey and use in a meaningful context?

(2) You're partially right here. Quality of shots,obviously, is meaningful. But, unless I've missed something the glacial and non-innovative NHL has recently implemented, there aren't currently ways of collecting and analyzing that info. It shouldn't be a problem, though. The much-more progressive NBA now has shot % based on quadrants of the floor -- the NHL could easily follow suit, but that means $$, and they'd rather keep what they can for owners.

(3) Miller has been the poster boy for inconsistency this year, and if you want to talk about quality of competition, Miller saw an awful lot of Edmonton early, while Lack, the one-and-dones he was in, got the top teams to play against. Consistency, obviously, is big in the playoffs. As Lack gets more work, he's ironing out his consistency issues. I'm not confident that that'll be the case with Miller in the playoffs, but I understand that Miller will get all the starts, unless he totally poops the bed in the first few games.

(4) This comment is insane. You don't care if he lets in 9 goals if the team scores 10? What happens when (not if) the team scores less than 10 the rest of the season? Miller then decides to buckle up, and they win 3-2? Does that mean Miller only tries hard when the offense is pouring it on? Hockey is a team game, probably more so even than football. But to wave away individual performance is foolish.

Yeah but when was the last time Miller allowed 5 goals in and we scored 6.

I can bring up one case from lack in that regard that is less than a couple weeks old.

Sometimes its not how many saves you make but when you make them that counts. Miller is the perfect example of this. When our defence was bending for the injuries miller never broke and allowed a ton of goals.

Also do you honestly think lack would have had the amount of success that Miller had in terms of winning?

When Calgary had Kipper he was also a great example of this.

People tend to overrate Kiprusoff based on his first two years right after he came to Calgary. In those two years, he was unbelievable, and then, somewhat like Miller, (though Miller was rarely that elite), his reputation was solidified, and people just bowed before him whenever great goalies were mentioned. He (Kiprusoff) also got a lot of support because he made the sensational save, which electrifies fans, but I'd rather have a technically expert goalie like Cory Schneider who just looks efficient out there (because he just needs to let the puck hit him most of the time) than a goalie who is overly reliant on his instincts.

I don't know if Lack would have had the same amount of success as Miller this year if he had played as many games. None of us do. And I didn't even hate Benning's move to get him (though I didn't like the cap hit). I was neutral on the move, since I thought Miller, having the long track record, was a pretty safe choice for his term, who then could be replaced by Lack (or another of our promising young goalies) when his contract expired.

But, like Schneider before him, I think Lack's as ready as he'll ever be to a #1. Will he make it as one? I don't know, but I'm more confident that Eddie will outperform Miller for the rest of Miller's contract.

Surprise Horvat and the way all the call ups performed when needed . This could have been a disaster if it wasn't for the depth in the farm

Honourable mentions

Miller after what happened in stl and the pressure in this market he played great its unfortunate he got hurt

Lack again the importance of this position for confidence of the team in front of him he has been great since millers injury

Disappointments

Hamhuis aka the give away machine.

And the at times lazy and disinterested way a lot of the vets played against bottom feeders.

And as always the refs and media coverage and treatment of this club.

Hahahahaha. Why don't you try reading the post before spouting off.

I'm well aware of his goal totals and defensive play, I'm saying he disappointed me as someone who was SUPPOSED to be the the talented, hard working guy who the Sedins have always needed. Vrbata is talented and hardworking, but he does not compliment the Sedins style of play whatsoever.

Thus, he disappointed me.

I don't see how Vrbata was supposed to be the "talented" guy we've always needed. I look at it as we lost Kesler and Bonino likely was only going to help out so much, so we acquired Vrbata to help fill a need. If you're thinking Vrbata was supposed to specifically be for the Sedins, then you're like a lot of other people in pulling off a Gallagher and having unrealistic expectations from the start.

If you think like that, then it's no wonder why you're disappointed. It wouldn't surprised me if you'll always be disappointed in something on this team as a result.

Miller put this team in a playoff position before Lack took over when he got injured you can look at sv and gaa all you want but take a quick peek at the defense Miller had to deal with for most of the season

yes Lack stole us some points but so did Miller the point is Miller had this team in a playoff spot and was playing well

Im sorry but Miller was not playing well when he went down with injury. His last 10 games prior to getting hurt he was down right abysmal, and agree that if Miller had continued to play we would be on the outside looking in. Elder, Tanev, and Bieksa missed a nearly all of their time after Lack took over as the starter in Feb.

If Millers save % had continued to trend as it had since January 1 (.910 and a 8-8 record) we would have been overtaken and by sitting in a spot waiting for a lottery pick.

Positives

Horvat - kid is unreal

Kenins - plays with so much heart ( but he is trying to do to much with the puck as of late , stick handling instead of what he is good at. Which is dump and chase, crash and bang )

Hansen - honey badger doing what he does best

Sbisa ( lately totally see what Benning was saying in June when he acquired Sbisa )

Vrbata ( didn't know much about him but man he is a great player

Edler ( +12 nuff said )

Miller ( wins = me happy )

Burrows - eats crap game in game out yet still battles

Dorsett - beauty

Negatives

Hamhuis ( Horrible last half of season )

Bieksa ( older, injury prone, only like him b/c of personally and leaves everything out on ice,tough only d-man that plays with emotion)

Vey ( at times )

Matthais ( i wouldn't say negative but VERY INCONSISTENT, looks great for 10 games puts up a lot of points and then goes missing for 20 games , also he is the biggest forward we have at 6'4 220 and he doesn't lay the fracking body which drives me nuts ( if i was that big i would hit everything that moves ) overall he works hard and stuff and i like what he brings he just needs to hit more and be more physically involved )

Vey has been terrible and outside of the points he put up on the PP early in the season, he has been a trainwreck. I dont care if he is a rookie. He should never even sniff the C spot on this team again. Probably the worst possession player on the team, and horrible mistaken prone. Willies man crush with this could has effected his judgement in deploying him over the likes of Kassian and Kenins.

Im not sure what you know about Matthias, but he is already 3 goals over his career best and will likely beat his best assists total as well. I think a career best season would be considered a win by any stretch no?

The guy is going to beat 20 goals. While having a revolving door of linemates and playing 2 positions. What more can you ask from a 3rd line C?

But, if Miller hadn't been signed and Lack was the starter from the get-go, would he have played as well as he is now? He would have had more pressure on him, especially after a bad team season.

Miller is using up 5 mil in cap space. Not 6 mil. Luongo was also using up 5 mil. Yet, people complained about Luongo in the same way that you are complaining now. It for this reason why I take any criticism of Miller's performance with a grain of salt. Besides, if you take out the handful of really poor games where we lost 5-1 etc, Miller actually has pretty decent stats. We've had some pretty poor team performances every now and then which have resulting in shaping Miller's stats for the worse.

I think Lack has had even more pressure than if he had started this season. He took a team that is in a solid playoff position and has not only held it but built on it. He played 14 straight games prior to last nights game and is holding .924 sv % and a gaa of 2.15. Thats while being without the Canucks 3 of the Canucks top 6 dmen, and some pretty important fowards in Higgins, Burrows, Bonino and Richardson all missing time.

Positives:

Horvat

Sedins/Vrbata

Dorsett

Edler's bounce back (a bounce back we've all been waiting, for years)

bottom 6 depth - we have it!

PK

Goaltending

Negatives:

Higgins - He just hasn't been able to buy a goal this year

Bonino - Maybe not a negative but more of a disappointment - after a good november, he slowed down a bit.

2nd line - we have much better depth, but overall the 2nd line hasn't been good enough imo

PP

overall the positives outweigh the negatives!

I'm not surprised at how bad Miller, Sbisa, Vey, Dorsett have sucked. I am surprised of how much Desjardins loves them though.

Dorsett has been outstanding. Most physical player on the team by far, leads the team in hits by a huge margin, surprsingly durable, is having a career year for points, great defensively, great speed, great forechecker, huge energy boost, a surprisingly good play maker, 2 short handed goals and 3 game winners...what more could you possibly ask from a guy who plays 12 mins a night?

Outside of Hansen, Dorsett would be my pick for unsung hero award.

I don't even need to go into detail.

Positives-

It's been REAL GOOD! I'm really impressed with how well the Canucks have played so far this season.

The fact that we are looking playoff bound, after last year.... blown away!

Negs-

Maybe it's the mics, but rogers seems quiet.... I haven't been to a game in too many years, but it seems like....well. TURN UP THE (REAL)GOOD!

Bonino has had a strange year. Does he have a nagging wrist injury?

Benning said in an interview last Friday, Mar 18 that since he broke his foot, he hasn't been the same. I decided to look a little closer because I couldn't remember the dates. He was injured from Feb 9 - 24 which is right in the middle of his goal drought.

His season really breaks down between the first 14 games (Oct 8 - Nov 6) and the rest of the season. Over these 14 games he was 7-5-12, scoring at a rate of 0.86 points per game. Oddly, Nov 6 coincides with the Canucks first road trip to California (Nov 6 SJ, Nov 8 LA, Nov 9 ANA). On Nov 6, Bonino scored the game winning goal against the Sharks, then things changed. The next 51 games he played, he has scored at a rate of 6-13-19 or 0.37 ppg.

You have to wonder if these differences are due to normal statistical variation or if there is some other explanation. Digging a little further, I found that on Jan 30, 2014, Bonino suffered a right wrist injury (LA Times, Jan 31, 2014) playing against Philly. His point production went from 16-24-40 in 56 games, a 0.71 ppg pace before the injury to 6-3-9 in 21 games following the injury, a 0.43 ppg pace. This is similar to his production since Nov 6 this season.

So, can we conclude that Bonino has re-aggravated this right wrist injury?

Was an Anaheim player who knew about this injury responsible?

Vrbata has been a huge pleasant surprise and like many said the free agent signing of the year candidate. The surprise comes not for the goal-scoring as he's been known to put up 20~30 goals consistently. It's surprising how well his positioning and defensive game is. He does the little things right and is very sound defensively and along the boards. I don't even remember him making many d-zone turnovers or going to the middle of the ice with an errand pass. He's smarter than being given credit for.

And for those that complain about his PP contribution. He has 11PPG, tied for 7th with Stamkos, Seguin and company despite being known as the ONLY triggerman on our abysmal PP. Also he's got 6 game winning goals, tied for 10th in the league.

TL/JB/WD deserves praises as pleasant surprise. Can't have this complete turnaround without the right crew at the helm.

Dorsett has been outstanding. Most physical player on the team by far, leads the team in hits by a huge margin, surprsingly durable, is having a career year for points, great defensively, great speed, great forechecker, huge energy boost, a surprisingly good play maker, 2 short handed goals and 3 game winners...what more could you possibly ask from a guy who plays 12 mins a night?

Outside of Hansen, Dorsett would be my pick for unsung hero award.

I agree 100%

Bonino has had a strange year. Does he have a nagging wrist injury?

Benning said in an interview last Friday, Mar 18 that since he broke his foot, he hasn't been the same. I decided to look a little closer because I couldn't remember the dates. He was injured from Feb 9 - 24 which is right in the middle of his goal drought.

His season really breaks down between the first 14 games (Oct 8 - Nov 6) and the rest of the season. Over these 14 games he was 7-5-12, scoring at a rate of 0.86 points per game. Oddly, Nov 6 coincides with the Canucks first road trip to California (Nov 6 SJ, Nov 8 LA, Nov 9 ANA). On Nov 6, Bonino scored the game winning goal against the Sharks, then things changed. The next 51 games he played, he has scored at a rate of 6-13-19 or 0.37 ppg.

You have to wonder if these differences are due to normal statistical variation or if there is some other explanation. Digging a little further, I found that on Jan 30, 2014, Bonino suffered a right wrist injury (LA Times, Jan 31, 2014) playing against Philly. His point production went from 16-24-40 in 56 games, a 0.71 ppg pace before the injury to 6-3-9 in 21 games following the injury, a 0.43 ppg pace. This is similar to his production since Nov 6 this season.

So, can we conclude that Bonino has re-aggravated this right wrist injury?

Was an Anaheim player who knew about this injury responsible?

That's a very interesting observation. It would make a lot of sense if true. Kudos on your research skills.

Archived