The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biggest Surprises This Year (Positive and Negative)

JamesB

Positives:

Horvat- plays against superstars, excellent in faceoffs, scores big goals, doesn't look like a rookie, has been improving every game

Dorsett- damn didn't know he's this good

Vrbata- two-way, intelligent game. One of the few guys on the team that can shoot the puck

Kenins- didn't even expect him to be in the NHL

Negatives:

Miller- he hasn't broken down often, but for 6 million, he needs to steal us some games. 6 million should buy is something better than just average.

Jensen- disappointment all around

Vey- when he was signed, I didn't know where he would fit into the team, short term, and long term. With the season almost over, I'm still not sure. I get it, he's a rookie, but he doesn't fit into the mold of the team.

Dorsett has been outstanding. Most physical player on the team by far, leads the team in hits by a huge margin, surprsingly durable, is having a career year for points, great defensively, great speed, great forechecker, huge energy boost, a surprisingly good play maker, 2 short handed goals and 3 game winners...what more could you possibly ask from a guy who plays 12 mins a night?

Outside of Hansen, Dorsett would be my pick for unsung hero award.

Possession blackhole.

I'm not surprised at how bad Miller, Sbisa, Vey, Dorsett have sucked. I am surprised of how much Desjardins loves them though.

Umm, what?

While I'll agree Vey has been disappointing (Although he's picked it up in his last couple of games), completely disagree with you on the other three.

Miller is certainly no Vezina candidate, but he's solidified our goaltending situation and has given us a chance to win every night.

It seems as though you had already come to your final conclusion on Sbisa 20 games into the season. Anybody with half a brain will tell you that, had Sbisa not picked his game way up during all of our injuries on the blueline, we probably wouldn't be sitting in nearly as good of a spot right now.

And Dorsett has been one of our very best bottom six players all season. He provides energy that our core has been sorely lacking for some time now. Also, I'll take 23 points in 69 games with a +5 rating from a fourth liner ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Your logic is flawed.

Anyways, best surprise is (obviously) Horvat.

Worst surprise is either Bieksa or Vey.

Umm, what?

While I'll agree Vey has been disappointing (Although he's picked it up in his last couple of games), completely disagree with you on the other three.

Miller is certainly no Vezina candidate, but he's solidified our goaltending situation and has given us a chance to win every night.

It seems as though you had already come to your final conclusion on Sbisa 20 games into the season. Anybody with half a brain will tell you that, had Sbisa not picked his game way up during all of our injuries on the blueline, we probably wouldn't be sitting in nearly as good of a spot right now.

And Dorsett has been one of our very best bottom six players all season. He provides energy that our core has been sorely lacking for some time now. Also, I'll take 23 points in 69 games with a +5 rating from a fourth liner ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Your logic is flawed.

Anyways, best surprise is (obviously) Horvat.

Worst surprise is either Bieksa or Vey.

Miller is garbage. Dorsett is a possession black hole that is being used too much by the coach in critical situations which is costing us. Sbisa is garbage and has been garbage the entire season except for 2 5-10 game stretches.

Positives

Miller/Lack - Miller is the biggest reason why were in the playoffs prior to his injury, well worth his contract. Lack is the reason why we are still in the playoffs ever since. We have always had success with 2 solid goalies since 2011 besides the Torts year and I am confident that we will continue to have success this way.

Rookies - Our rookies were a big part of our success during that stretch of injuries. I mean we were winning games with 3-4 young defenseman in the lineup back then. Horvat has been unreal and a key contributor during the 2nd half of the season. Vey is kind of the opposite in the fact he had a hot start and has been cold statistically, though he has had a couple of real good games recently. Kenins has been a real a nice surprise also.

Edler's and the Sedin's(to an extent) resurgance - Another key part of our success is the bounce back season Edler has had. He and Tanev have been a real solid pairing. Sedins are back to their old ways. Daniel surprisingly isn't the sniper he is anymore but that has not stopped him from becoming a great playmaking scorer like Hank.

Vrbata - Guys been solid all year and has produced on different lines. One of our most consistent forwards in both ends of the ice.

Depth - We always seem to have a different line that plays great in different games. Makes you think what damage we can do if we can all get 4 lines rolling. Dorsett, Hansen, Bonino, Matthias, Higgins, Burrows have been good this year, only real problem is consistently.

Coaching - It has been pretty good despite rookie mistakes like favoritism, overplaying the starter, etc. Giving guys like Horvat and Kenins a chance, they way we run 4 lines, the way we handled our lineup when we were winning with injuries. WD and co. have done a "real good" job

Cons

Kassian - This isn't much of a negative. I expected a much better start to the season that's mostly it.

Injuries - Mostly to key veterans. I think injuries have effected some of our veterans seasons after coming back from injury but not by an extreme amount.

Not many negatives this season. We are in a "real good" spot right now and that's because of the many positives we have had!

Miller is garbage. Dorsett is a possession black hole that is being used too much by the coach in critical situations which is costing us. Sbisa is garbage and has been garbage the entire season except for 2 5-10 game stretches.

I'd have to say comments that are THIS harsh on our own players are garbage (unless of course you are a troll then all I can say is "well-played sir"). The Oilers are garbage. Other players on other teams are garbage. Our own players are not garbage...they need work, improvment, deployment re-assignments etc...but they are NOT garbage! Got it? Now go take your A.D.D. meds.

Im sorry but Miller was not playing well when he went down with injury. His last 10 games prior to getting hurt he was down right abysmal, and agree that if Miller had continued to play we would be on the outside looking in. Elder, Tanev, and Bieksa missed a nearly all of their time after Lack took over as the starter in Feb.

If Millers save % had continued to trend as it had since January 1 (.910 and a 8-8 record) we would have been overtaken and by sitting in a spot waiting for a lottery pick.

This could be the most ridiculous thing I've read on here. Predicting that miller "treading numbers" because goalies don't get hot and cold predicting lacks number would be better and failing to mention he was awful at the start of the season when he couldn't win. The back up love in Vancouver alive and well aways "predicting" the grass is greener...... Alex auld weeks mike fountain Cory hursh bob Esensa scheider ect.....people all thought they were better than the

BONIFIED starter but so far none have come close to matching the careers of what fans here wanted them to replace. Lacks been good lately it he's on his second full season lets bet the farm on him. Oh wait isn't that Toronto and Edmonton's model seems to be working outwell.

Dorsett has been outstanding. Most physical player on the team by far, leads the team in hits by a huge margin, surprsingly durable, is having a career year for points, great defensively, great speed, great forechecker, huge energy boost, a surprisingly good play maker, 2 short handed goals and 3 game winners...what more could you possibly ask from a guy who plays 12 mins a night?

Outside of Hansen, Dorsett would be my pick for unsung hero award.

I agree that Dorsett has had a good year, probably a bit better than we could have reasonably expected and good value for his cap hit. I agree he was worth giving up a 3rd round pick for.

But he is not great defensively. He has by far the worst possession (Corsi) numbers on the team and generally does not play much against the other team's top line. When he was moved off Horvat's line, the Horvat line became the de facto 3rd line and played a lot more shutdown. Whatever line Dorsett is on is the 4th line.

He has decent speed but not great speed and is a best a decent forechecker, not a great forechecker.

Dorsett has been a tough, hard-nosed, high intensity 4th liner for his entire career and that is what he is now. Decent value but not what can honestly be called "great".

Bonino has had a strange year. Does he have a nagging wrist injury?

Benning said in an interview last Friday, Mar 18 that since he broke his foot, he hasn't been the same. I decided to look a little closer because I couldn't remember the dates. He was injured from Feb 9 - 24 which is right in the middle of his goal drought.

His season really breaks down between the first 14 games (Oct 8 - Nov 6) and the rest of the season. Over these 14 games he was 7-5-12, scoring at a rate of 0.86 points per game. Oddly, Nov 6 coincides with the Canucks first road trip to California (Nov 6 SJ, Nov 8 LA, Nov 9 ANA). On Nov 6, Bonino scored the game winning goal against the Sharks, then things changed. The next 51 games he played, he has scored at a rate of 6-13-19 or 0.37 ppg.

You have to wonder if these differences are due to normal statistical variation or if there is some other explanation. Digging a little further, I found that on Jan 30, 2014, Bonino suffered a right wrist injury (LA Times, Jan 31, 2014) playing against Philly. His point production went from 16-24-40 in 56 games, a 0.71 ppg pace before the injury to 6-3-9 in 21 games following the injury, a 0.43 ppg pace. This is similar to his production since Nov 6 this season.

So, can we conclude that Bonino has re-aggravated this right wrist injury?

Was an Anaheim player who knew about this injury responsible?

That's a very interesting observation. It would make a lot of sense if true. Kudos on your research skills.

I agree, Nice detective work. I was also wondering if Benning's comment about the foot injury made sense. A recurring wrist injury still seems like a bit of a long shot though. But it is possible.

I kind of favor statistical variation as the most important explanation. He had more than his share of "puck luck" early in the season and has had less than his share since then. Overall, his numbers are probably a reasonable reflection of his underlying ability -- maybe a bit on the low side.

But I think the conclusion that his numbers and style of play make him the equivalent of a good 3C and not a legitimate 2C is the key point. We were hoping for and expecting a solid 2C who could play effectively on the PP. Bonino did not quite reach that level of play, but he is still good value for his cap hit and I still like the Kesler trade a lot.

And I am continuing to predict that the most important player in that trade long term will be McCann, who I think will be better in his prime than Kesler will be in the remaining years of his career.

Positive Top 3:

1) Horvat - Boy is this kid something special. Not the fanciest of players (does show some slick moves though) but does all the right things and chips in offensively. Exactly what I wanted in a rookie 200 foot game style player.

2) Edler/Tanev pairing - I thought this would work at the beginning of the year to rejuvenate Edler's offence. I was wrong about the offence but this pairing has been rock solid at both ends of the ice. Edler has come back in a big way as a defenceman and Tanev is as good a shutdown guy as we could hope for.

3) Miller/Lack tandem - No controversy, just solid goaltending. Playoff bound (hopefully) thanks to the contributions of these two. Miller has straight up stolen games (he's struggled as well) and Lack has improved greatly in a starter role compared to last season.

Negative Top 3:

1) Bonino - Started off so promising then just flat out dissappeared. He has the tools but just seems distant the second half of the season. I hope he finds his fire again for the playoffs.

2) Hamhuis - Just seems to get worse as the season drags on. He has had some good games but when he makes mistakes they always seem to lead to high quality scoring chances against. I think he will be crucial come playoffs so I hope he finds his stride.

3) Rogers Arena Crowd - Seriously people....Come on! Make the boys want to play hard at home. New president, new coach, new GM, newish roster, same atmosphere.

Positives:

1 Bo Horvat, a 19 year old rookie who plays like a 25 year old.

2 Radim Vrbata, could not have picked a better free agent signing.

3 Ronnie Kennins, Came out of nowhere to earn a spot on the roster.

4 The Sedins and Edler, all 3 have had a bounce back year.

5 Lack and Miller, both have given this team a chance to win on most nights.

Negatives;

1 Nick Bonino, has been inconsistent both offensively and defensively.

2 Linden Vey, on many nights looks very average.

Negative and Positive:

1 Zack Kassian, Looked horrible at times earlier in the season, Yet after 9 healthy scratches, came on like gang busters and started living up to his potential as dominate power forward.

Only thing I will say about Bonino is that I think he maybe hurt, and at least last time I checked he was tied for the lead in game winning goals for the Canucks. That is a pretty important stat in my opinion.

As for surprises, how about our coach? Considering the mess the team was in, and all the negative predictions made about our team, Willie has done a wonderful job, especially considering it is his first year in the NHL.

Hes a 4th line player, and a +4 on the season. When a 4th liner brings as much as Dorsett does, and while the coach puts trust in him to put him up against tough match ups and in late game situations while protecting a lead, you tend to look away on possession stats.

He plays really easy minutes and when the coach does put him in tough match ups he gets destroyed.

I don't see any negatives this year at all after a year with just pure negativity. Last year was a disaster with Torts. Edler, the Sedins, burrows have all bounced back. Horvat is overachieving our expectations, or at least achieving them much quicker then we thought he would. All this plus a gem of a free agent signing in Vrbata have us giving the Ducks competition for the pacific. We aren't winning the cup but maybe we can steal a round or two and get the promising young guys some experience.

There are many positives this year.

1/ Kenins has exceeded expectations and is a solid player...what more can you ask of a rookie?

2/ Horvat is playing like a veteran and has been our savior in the faceoffs. He is now starting to pot goals and gain confidence. He goes to the net with determination. Horvat is going to be a star in the NHL.

3/ Hansen has impressed and is Mr. Consistency. He plays hard every night.

5 Dorset ....without him, the 4th line is running on 3 wheels. Please get him signed.

6/ Virbata....pure all round skill....plays hard and gets rewarded on the scoresheet.

7/ The Sedins....they have lost a step but they still put up points and work hard....without them, we would be watching the team play golf in April.

8/ Eddie Lack....a keeper. He has proven a lot this year and deserves praise for being steady in goal plus making his team believers as well.

9/ Edlers bounce back season.

10/ The coach and coaching staff have done a masterful job of turning last years disaster into a competitive team. Love the fact that WD is splitting the icetime over the 4 lines...happy players and a fresher team for the playoffs.

Negatives.

1/ Too many come from behind situations.

2/ Too many nights taken off when playing weaker teams.

3/ Linden Vey seems to have lost his creative play and looks lost as a result. I wouldn't give up on him though, he is still young but he has to play a bit harder on the puck as well as without it. He really needs to turn it up a notch like Hansen did.

4/ The PP is still a work in progress.

Archived