The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buying "open box tablet" off CL advice?

Sly_Paragon

Hey guys, I'm looking at a tablet right now. In-store with tax it costs $335.

First time CL buyer

Guy off CL is selling for $300

Going to offer him $250 (low ball? Or go lower?)

What should I do to make this a smooth transaction?

Should I ask for a receipt? How many times he's used it? how long he's owned it?

Ask how long he or she has had it for and if there's proof of purchase to go along with it. When you meet up to buy it off of the seller, ask to test it out prior to buying it. Make sure the WiFi, camera, speaker(s) and buttons all work. If everything works well, then you hit them with the 250$ offering price. It's harder for someone to say no when it's face to face.

Buy it from the store, wait an extra month if you have to if you dont have the money for it right now. Skip eating out or your coffee a couple times and you'll be able to get it no problem.

That way you'll get 1 year warranty as well, and a few weeks or a month to return it or what not for any defects or whatever.

Check Target to see if they have the tablet you want still in stock, could be 10-15% off perhaps if its still in stock.

Hey guys, I'm looking at a tablet right now. In-store with tax it costs $335.

First time CL buyer

Guy off CL is selling for $300

Going to offer him $250 (low ball? Or go lower?)

What should I do to make this a smooth transaction?

Should I ask for a receipt? How many times he's used it? how long he's owned it?

What kind of tablet is it ?

Buy it from the store, wait an extra month if you have to if you dont have the money for it right now. Skip eating out or your coffee a couple times and you'll be able to get it no problem.

That way you'll get 1 year warranty as well, and a few weeks or a month to return it or what not for any defects or whatever.

Check Target to see if they have the tablet you want still in stock, could be 10-15% off perhaps if its still in stock.

Not to mention there's usually better deals to be had on electronics online, depending on what model you're looking at.

I've been a frequent CL buyer/sometimes seller.

I've had zero problems with my transactions - maybe I've been lucky, but it helps to have a good practice.

Go to a public place - like a coffee shop (ideally) to meet. There's tables and cameras. NEVER meet privately, even if you have a friend (other person may or may not necessarily appreciate it either). It's mostly for safety, sure, but there's also no point in going to a private area. There's zero advantage in it and too much risk.

For bigger purchases like electronics and earphones, having a receipt (read it carefully) may be a lifesaver. If not, which is entirely possible, make sure the thing WORKS entirely. Don't just skimp it for the sake of making the sale quicker. Of course, there's no way of knowing the integrity of the product itself (it might be dead after 1 week or something), but that's a risk you're taking.

Next, you'll have to consider the overall reliability of the person. A black person doesn't necessarily mean they are bad, but an Asian girl may not necessarily be that innocent (pun intended). What I mean by this is, if they are in a 'hurry', that could be a warning sign. Take your time but don't be a umbrella if you don't need more time than you do. If possible, introduce each other/show IDs. Phone numbers.

For cash cards/gift cards - i wouldn't recommend buying it. Admittedly, I have zero experience in it but i feel there's just too much risk involved, even if the transaction is done in-store AND it is proven valid. Some gift cards are stolen and tracked. They could also be cancelled if not used right away. By using the card, they may go after YOU, rather than the seller because they can find someone to pin it on. Perhaps you could cooperate by giving sellers' details, but in which case, the details might be falsified or invalid. Don't be greedy.

That's an important thing - don't be greedy. It's sweet to get a deal on it but don't lowball if you can afford it (lowball before meeting is 'okay'). Also, if something is too cheap, be wary. Furthermore, there are possible fakes around that are being sold to idiot buyers. Do your research.

In summary:

Do your research. The more the better.

Meet at public places; NEVER private.

Avoid buying certain items. If you must buy an electronics item, TEST IT OUT. If you're not able/allowed to do it, don't buy it.

Don't lowball unnecessarily.

Don't be an idiot and waste someone's time, but spend time to examine it.

LOL @ CDC filtering a T word and replacing it with 'umbrella'.

So that's what Rihanna was singing about...

If it's not an apple tablet, it should be 25% off. Keep in mind if you choose this route, all sales are final due to liquidation so you wouldn't be able to return it (although the warranty is obviously still valid).

Anything over $250 without the receipt isn't worth it. You'd have no recourse if the thing craps out on you and be out your entire purchase.

Even if you have a receipt you still probably have very little recourse. You buy things off people and it's generally you get what you see. They aren't going to guarantee it.

Manufacturer's warranty.

Apple is the brand where you don't need a receipt to take advantage of the manufacturers warranty..

I have bought many Apple items from CL and Used over the years mostly iPads and iPhones and as long as the product still has warranty you can claim to get a refurbished or almost new product as a replacement for free..

I just bought a brand new open box iPad Air 2 for $480 on CL which is essentially more than $100+ in savings..

Apple is the brand where you don't need a receipt to take advantage of the manufacturers warranty..

I have bought many Apple items from CL and Used over the years mostly iPads and iPhones and as long as the product still has warranty you can claim to get a refurbished or almost new product as a replacement for free..

I just bought a brand new open box iPad Air 2 for $480 on CL which is essentially more than $100+ in savings..

But it's still like $180+ dollars more than you would have spent on an equivalent brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. So essentially you never saved anything.

I figured since the OP said "tablet" instead of specifying Ipad, it was most likely NOT an Apple product he was buying.

But it's still like $180+ dollars more than you would have spent on an equivalent brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. So essentially you never saved anything.

pfft..

You're honestly comparing that piece of dog poo Tab 4 to an iPad Air 2.. really?

I only like Android on mobile devices like the Nexus 5 other than that its not visually appealing on much larger screens like tablets etc..

iOS on the other hand looks better on larger screens i.e. iPad.

pfft..

You're honestly comparing that piece of dog poo Tab 4 to an iPad Air 2.. really?

I only like Android on mobile devices like the Nexus 5 other than that its not visually appealing on much larger screens like tablets etc..

iOS on the other hand looks better on larger screens i.e. iPad.

Depends on your needs. Personally as I consider iTunes to be a virus I would always take an Android device over any Apple product.

Depends on your needs. Personally as I consider iTunes to be a virus I would always take an Android device over any Apple product.

Is that really why you don't like Apple Products?

This isnt 2006 anymore.. you can use an iPhone and iPad without iTunes as there are plenty of alternatives available, and most of time you don't even need to sync or use iTunes anymore as downloading apps, software upgrades, etc.. can all be done right from the device.

But I do agree iTunes is pretty redundant software as it only purpose now is to sync music from your computer to the apple device..

I just use cloud music players so I can save hard drives space for other things...

Is that really why you don't like Apple Products?

This isnt 2006 anymore.. you can use an iPhone and iPad without iTunes as there are plenty of alternatives available, and most of time you don't even need to sync or use iTunes anymore as downloading apps, software upgrades, etc.. can all be done right from the device.

But I do agree iTunes is pretty redundant software as it only purpose now is to sync music from your computer to the apple device..

I just use cloud music players so I can save hard drives space for other things...

No SD card reader, no Windows Explorer transfer, no buy.

Archived