The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] [Value of] Expendable Canucks

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

- Chris Higgins

2nd + maybe a 5th

- Alex Burrows

Won't be moved, likes it here and is a good veteran presence

- Ryan Stanton

4th+7th

- Eddie Lack

Unlikely to be moved with the way he is playing

- Linden Vey

Also probably will not be moved but could probably go for a 2nd (what he fetched last year)

- Dan Hamhuis

Unlikely to be moved but probably a 1st and a B prospect (would be happy w/ this but Hammer probably doesn't want to go anywhere)

- Yannik Weber

Worth keeping as a depth guy. Cheap and can put up decent points. Wouldn't get a good enough return for him

Burrows, Lack, Hamhuis are not expendable :picard:

Higgins for 2nd, Hansen for 2nd, Vey for 3rd, Markstrom for 3rd Weber for 5th, Miller for future considerations. Then re-sign Richardson, Matthias, Dorsett (unless he wants too much), Biega, Sanguinetti. Let Sbisa go unless you can take him to arbitration for under 1.2m. Sign Neuvirth.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata

Matthias-Horvat-Kenins

Archibald-Richardson-Dorsett

Jensen

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Corrado

Stanton-Bieksa

Biega/Sanguinetti/Clendenning

Lack

Neuvirth

You think we get 2 seconds for vey after acquiring him for only one a year ago?

The poll never mentioned when this assumed move would happen. I mean, Brett Connolly got two 2nd's from Boston at this year's deadline, and Linden's probably the better player at this time, so if a team is desperate for a young guy with 2nd line potential then why wouldn't that be likely to happen? Don't forget, teams sell high and buy low based on what the buyer and seller are willing to agree on as a suitable price. L.A. was dumping him but we probably won't be, so if a team wants to get him I doubt J.B. lets him go for cheap, but he'd try to get good value for him.

With Vbrata being 35 and a UFA at the end of next year canucks are really going to need to find a replacement for his goal production. We could very well go out and sign someone as a UFA but it’s not a guarantee that we can land that type of player. I would love the canucks to go out and pick up a young talented RW that could potentially become this teams 1st line RW.

Lots of risk but with his value having dropped dramatically over the last two seasons. I would like the canucks to take a run as Yakupov. This kid is only 21 and Canucks potentially have the assets to acquire him. That being said what is a the value for the former 1st overall pick? In terms of draft pick value, he’s still probably valued as a mid to late first rounder. If Baertschi can land a 2nd round pick, Yak would have to be worth more but another comparable of a struggling high talent player would be Nino Niederreiter who was a former 5th overall pick and he got dealt for Cal Clutterbuck and 3rd round pick. What are some offers you think GM’s will throw at the oilers for a player like Yakupov this year?

If I’m the oilers I would have to consider a package revolving around Lack +. Perhaps Lack & Jensen would be enough. Oilers get a 27 year old goalie who’s proven he can be a number one goalie in this league, plus a B prospect, (lots of risk with Jensen, but there’s potential). Does this trade solve Edmonton’s problems? Not at all, but it does fill one hole that they currently have. EDM was rumoured to be extremely interested in pursuing Talbot this offseason until NYR locked him up.

One reason for EDM to turn down an offer like this, is if they possibly believe they will be able to sign a UFA goalie like NIemi in the off season and our comfortable with that. Therefor, the need to give up an asset to fill a hole is not needed.

A reason that Vancouver could be hesitant about this is. Yakupov is still a risk. Canucks next season will already have two young offensive risks in line up next season with Vey and Baertschi. It could go really well or really bad. Yak could very well be worth the risk.

With Vbrata being 35 and a UFA at the end of next year canucks are really going to need to find a replacement for his goal production. We could very well go out and sign someone as a UFA but it’s not a guarantee that we can land that type of player. I would love the canucks to go out and pick up a young talented RW that could potentially become this teams 1st line RW.

Lots of risk but with his value having dropped dramatically over the last two seasons. I would like the canucks to take a run as Yakupov. This kid is only 21 and Canucks potentially have the assets to acquire him. That being said what is a the value for the former 1st overall pick? In terms of draft pick value, he’s still probably valued as a mid to late first rounder. If Baertschi can land a 2nd round pick, Yak would have to be worth more but another comparable of a struggling high talent player would be Nino Niederreiter who was a former 5th overall pick and he got dealt for Cal Clutterbuck and 3rd round pick. What are some offers you think GM’s will throw at the oilers for a player like Yakupov this year?

If I’m the oilers I would have to consider a package revolving around Lack +. Perhaps Lack & Jensen would be enough. Oilers get a 27 year old goalie who’s proven he can be a number one goalie in this league, plus a B prospect, (lots of risk with Jensen, but there’s potential). Does this trade solve Edmonton’s problems? Not at all, but it does fill one hole that they currently have. EDM was rumoured to be extremely interested in pursuing Talbot this offseason until NYR locked him up.

One reason for EDM to turn down an offer like this, is if they possibly believe they will be able to sign a UFA goalie like NIemi in the off season and our comfortable with that. Therefor, the need to give up an asset to fill a hole is not needed.

A reason that Vancouver could be hesitant about this is. Yakupov is still a risk. Canucks next season will already have two young offensive risks in line up next season with Vey and Baertschi. It could go really well or really bad. Yak could very well be worth the risk.

I like the idea of going after Yakupov, but not at the expense of Lack. Jensen we might want to keep as we have bad RW depth, but considering Yak is an RW too, it might not matter.

Maybe if we did something like Labate + Markstrom for Yak and a low, low, pick, if I were Benning, I'd consider it.

Why Yak? 28 points and -33.

Honestly fans fascination with one dimensional players is staggering. The fact that some folks want Kessel or Yak. Both are not team guys. Neither of the two back check. I'll give Yak points for at least being in shape, and getting better as the season goes on, while Kessel has hit a wall.

Hall I'd gamble on, but someone needs to coach him on avoiding hits, and playing smarter.

I like the idea of going after Yakupov, but not at the expense of Lack. Jensen we might want to keep as we have bad RW depth, but considering Yak is an RW too, it might not matter.

Maybe if we did something like Labate + Markstrom for Yak and a low, low, pick, if I were Benning, I'd consider it.

The reason I say Lack, is because there is too much Goalie depth on this team. I see zero chance that JB moves Miller before his contract is up. I personally want Lack to at least be giving an opportunity as a number 1, in the NHL. He’s done everything asked of him and has shown he can be a number one goalie. Since I don’t see his opportunity happening with the canucks, I’d like the canucks to move him to a team that will give him that chance. Plus he should have decent value after this season.

Why Yak? 28 points and -33.

Honestly fans fascination with one dimensional players is staggering. The fact that some folks want Kessel or Yak. Both are not team guys. Neither of the two back check. I'll give Yak points for at least being in shape, and getting better as the season goes on, while Kessel has hit a wall.

Hall I'd gamble on, but someone needs to coach him on avoiding hits, and playing smarter.

Why Yak?

• Canucks need an offensive RW to replace the offense Vbrata gives us.
  • Canucks don’t have many RW in the system. We are stacked on the Left side but outside Kassian and Jensen there isn’t much.
  • He’s only 21, People preach penitents with Vey and Kassian yet have given up on a 21 year old that has been thrown to the dogs by the oilers.
  • His value is low, the cost to acquire a proven 1st line RW is more than we can afford to give up. Imagine the cost of trying to get Tarasenko out of STL…Not happening.
  • I’m not too concerned with his plus minus, the entire oilers teams is a minus, Yak is young and needs a coach, look what WD did with Edler, Look what trots did with OV.
  • Finally, there’s no denying his skill, sure he only has 28 points this year, but that puts him tied with Burrows and 7th on our team. Once again he’s only 21 and plenty room for improvement, some good coaching, some confidence canucks have a future top 6 RW.

Also Hall isn't really a gamble and he was cost a ton for us to pick up. If Yak was producing at the level he was expected to, he would:

a )Not be available

b ) Cost way to much for us to pick up.

Archived