The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

From Draft to September [Proposal]

This is a proposal I thought of and if it is decently received, I will add the numbers to it. Please only constructive criticism. Thank you.

Currently we have a wealth of Defensemen and Left Wingers in the system but we are lacking natural Right Wingers and a standout Offensive Defenseman.

With sticking to Benning`s concept of win now but build with the future in mind, I propose the following Draft Day moves.

To Vancouver- 1st, 5th

To San Jose- Miller

Reasoning: With Niemi as a UFA and SJ going through a probable tear down, Miller can give them the strong goaltending that he supplied us this season as well as giving a veteran leadership presence in goal. Vancouver gets another 1st rounder and a 5th.

To Vancouver- Yakupov

To Edmonton- Sbisa, Mullen, Petitt, 2015 Van 5th, 2016 3rd

Reasoning: Vancouver acquires a young RWer with a wealth of potential and a goal scoring touch that can be mentored by Vrbata among others in a much more complete system than Edmonton. Edmonton gets a good young defenseman that can step in and help right away as well as a defensive prospect, center prospect and our 5th round pick in this year's draft as well as a 3rd for next year.

At the draft, with current projected rankings of both players eligible and teams, our picks would look like the following:

14th Overall--Jansen Harkins-C--Prince George (WHL)

17th Overall--Oliver Kylington-D--Farjestads BK (SEL)

108th Overall--Rihards Bukarts-LW--Brandon (WHL)

135th Overall--Wyatt Kalynuk-D--Lincoln (USHL)

168th Overall--Karch Bachman-LW--Culver Academy (HS-IN)

Come the summer, we look to bolster our blueline to standout since we have the youth the step up in our forward ranks and our solidified in goal.

To Vancouver- OEL

To Arizona- Corrado, Gaunce, Blomstrand, 2016 2nd round pick.

Reasoning: OEL provides Vancouver with a young standout offensive defenseman that can QB the offense and can match the speed of the forward group. Arizona gets a young defenseman that can step in right away in Corrado and gives them a great prospect for the future, a strong young forward prospect in Gaunce who could push for NHL minutes in the desert, a young LW prospect in Blomstrand and a 2nd round pick. Arizona in rebuild mode gets 3 developed prospects and a pick in a deep draft.

To Vancouver- 2016 2nd round pick

To Toronto- Vey

Reasoning: This trade could be completed with any team really but with Toronto going into rapid demolition with their eyes on the future, Vey provides them with a young center with NHL experience coming from 2 strong teams with winning cultures and can bring energy and a hard working grit that was so desperately lacking for them. Vancouver clears a spot and gets a solid pick in a deep draft.

Vancouver also signs Adam McQuaid in the offseason. He adds a veteran presence and cup ring along with his grit and hard nosed play. Connection with Benning.

Vancouver also signs Matt O'Connor from Boston (NCAA) to add to a deep goaltending pool and can tandem in Utica with Demko.

Re-sign Dorsett and Matthias along with the RFAs seen in projected line up.

Projected line up

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Yakupov

Higgins Bonino Burrows

Dorsett Matthias Kassian

Bieksa Hamhuis

OEL McQuaid

Edler Tanev

Clendening/Weber

Lack

Markstrom

Players that can push for spots in September:

Shinkaruk McCann Jensen

Virtanen Cassels

Baertschi

Conacher

Subban Pedan

Tryamkin McEneny

McNally

This leaves Vancouver with a rock solid defense, a good tandem in net and plenty of youth and experience with speed and grit in the forward group. Builds them for now and the future.

I hate to say it, but we will be trading Lack this summer.

He's been lights out since Miller's injury, and has been a top tender for 2 seasons now. With Miller out for the playoffs, a strong performance from Eddie should get us a 1st. I agree with the SJ move.

The OEL trade will not work. Arizona will want at the very least a 1st rounder and a high end prospect for OEL, like Horvat, Virtanen, etc. In this case, we're the ones initiating this trade. Arizona is NOT desperate to trade OEL.

The Yakupov deal would also likely not work for similar reasons, although he probably would be cheaper than OEL.

We can't just give up our scraps to get good players. Trading 4 to 5 mediocre pieces for one good piece does not work.

yakupov is a first overall you think sbisa will get him lol try tanev cassels stanton and a second and that might not even get you him

oel is the best young dman in nhl hed cost tanev kassian a first and mccann good luck there. these guys cost a arm and a leg

OEL is a great young d man but Doughty is better IMO and only slightly older.

Yak trade is Bad to many pieces for Edmonton to want to accept it. If Beartschi is not in the line up chances are he will get claimed off waivers. If Arizona will accept i would do the OEL trade, give up future prospects for a young stud but i could see them wanting to do the trade at the draft and switch the 2nd round pick for the first we get from San Jose.

I also think its time for Vancouver to part ways with Burrows and Bieksa could gain some more draft picks and prospects

Thank you for your comments. I think the pieces would have to be bigger, I agree. I think itd be easier to grab Yakupov than many think becuse of how things have gone in Edmonton, whereas OEL would be expensive. I agree that its time to start looking at what we can get for some of the veterans that we have such as Bieksa and Burrows since it would give us at the very least some draft picks and free up roster spots for the youth movement that is taking place. Right now there just isnt enough roster spots for everyone. Higgins would be another name and I would even take calls for Bonino. I would prefer trading Miller over Lack but I think we all see that it is unlikely even though it would be ideal to have him and not trade yet another goalie that we have developed into a stud.

What would you find to be a realistic offer for Yakupov?

When a young NHL established player is involved the GM would want a comparable young asset coming back with additions to make up the differences.

For our team that would likely be players like Horvat, Tanev, Kenins, Kassian

That said, Horvat isn't going anywhere and Tanev just signed a contract.

My sights would be on OEL as well but I doubt Arizona will be trading him away.

I also doubt Vey would get a 2nd round pick, specifically from toronto where that 2nd is more of a late first..

edit**

just an added thought Kassian may develop well in Arizona with a great PWF mentor in Doan.

To Vancouver- 1st, 5th

To San Jose- Miller

Reasoning: With Niemi as a UFA and SJ going through a probable tear down, Miller can give them the strong goaltending that he supplied us this season as well as giving a veteran leadership presence in goal. Vancouver gets another 1st rounder and a 5th.

No way we are a playoff team without Miller. Lack and Markstrom wouldn't work long term.

To Vancouver- Yakupov

To Edmonton- Sbisa, Mullen, Petitt, 2015 Van 5th, 2016 3rd

Reasoning: Vancouver acquires a young RWer with a wealth of potential and a goal scoring touch that can be mentored by Vrbata among others in a much more complete system than Edmonton. Edmonton gets a good young defenseman that can step in and help right away as well as a defensive prospect, center prospect and our 5th round pick in this year's draft as well as a 3rd for next year.

Edmonton declines. We don't even have Pat Mullen on our roster anymore. Sbisa and spare parts aren't enough.

Come the summer, we look to bolster our blueline to standout since we have the youth the step up in our forward ranks and our solidified in goal.

To Vancouver- OEL

To Arizona- Corrado, Gaunce, Blomstrand, 2016 2nd round pick.

Reasoning: OEL provides Vancouver with a young standout offensive defenseman that can QB the offense and can match the speed of the forward group. Arizona gets a young defenseman that can step in right away in Corrado and gives them a great prospect for the future, a strong young forward prospect in Gaunce who could push for NHL minutes in the desert, a young LW prospect in Blomstrand and a 2nd round pick. Arizona in rebuild mode gets 3 developed prospects and a pick in a deep draft.

Arizona laughs and hangs up.

To Vancouver- 2016 2nd round pick

To Toronto- Vey

Reasoning: This trade could be completed with any team really but with Toronto going into rapid demolition with their eyes on the future, Vey provides them with a young center with NHL experience coming from 2 strong teams with winning cultures and can bring energy and a hard working grit that was so desperately lacking for them. Vancouver clears a spot and gets a solid pick in a deep draft.

So basically we traded a '15 2nd rounder for a '16 2nd rounder. Sounds kind if stupid to me. Also sounds stupid to think JB would give up on him so soon.

Vancouver also signs Adam McQuaid in the offseason. He adds a veteran presence and cup ring along with his grit and hard nosed play. Connection with Benning.

Guess that makes sense. But isn't he kind of like Sbisa anyways?

Vancouver also signs Matt O'Connor from Boston (NCAA) to add to a deep goaltending pool and can tandem in Utica with Demko.

Really hope Benning gets this done

Re-sign Dorsett and Matthias along with the RFAs seen in projected line up.

Projected line up

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Yakupov

Higgins Bonino Burrows

Dorsett Matthias Kassian

Bieksa Hamhuis

OEL McQuaid

Edler Tanev

Clendening/Weber

Lack

Markstrom

Kenins and Horvat aren't 2nd line worthy yet. Matthias and Kassian won't be on the 4th line. Also you seem to have your D messed up. I'm not going to correct you though cause I think it's funny you think we can get OEL for so cheap and then slot him in the second pairing. I guess you don't follow them enough to know OEL is their franchise player?

Seems what you know what your talking about in some areas. but others are quite questinosable. to get yak and oel other teams would offer alot more. and teams usually want few really good players or prospects, not 5 ok players for 1 superstar. U have 30 other teams wanting OEL and probably 15 in a better position to offer up a better package. Also lines seemed pretty wack.

Just want to add to this a little. Being that late 1st rounders don't succeed as much as high first rounders, I am going to pose this to you instead.

First let's assume that the Canucks are going to stay in the top 10 to 15 for the next 4 years

Trade #1

Columbus Johansen for Bonino, 2015th 1st rounder, 2017th 1st rounder, and Shinkaruk

Trade #2

Arizona OEL for Hamhuis, 2016 1st rounder, McCann and Subban

2015-2016 Line up

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baer Johansen Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Burrows

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Edler Tanev

OEL Corrado

Sbisa Clendening

Weber Stanton

On the Block Vey

Or we can just wait! Trade some veterans, and collect our picks!

Not giving up enough quality for Yak and OEL. Also, I highly doubt Miller could get us a 1st, esp this year. If SJ is going to tear things down, why would they want an older goalie whose best days are behind him? However, I could see Anaheim have some interest in Miller should the Ducks get bounced early on in the playoffs. They are in 'win now' mode and anything short of making the finals would be a disappointment

Just want to add to this a little. Being that late 1st rounders don't succeed as much as high first rounders, I am going to pose this to you instead.

First let's assume that the Canucks are going to stay in the top 10 to 15 for the next 4 years

Trade #1

Columbus Johansen for Bonino, 2015th 1st rounder, 2017th 1st rounder, and Shinkaruk

Trade #2

Arizona OEL for Hamhuis, 2016 1st rounder, McCann and Subban

2015-2016 Line up

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baer Johansen Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Burrows

Higgins Richardson Hansen

Edler Tanev

OEL Corrado

Sbisa Clendening

Weber Stanton

On the Block Vey

Or we can just wait! Trade some veterans, and collect our picks!

CBJ aren't gonna give up Johansen, esp not for that package. He's the cornerstone of the franchise. Horvat or

Virtanen would have to be part of the package for them to even consider it

Archived