The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

JB AND TYLER MYERS

granpappy

Don't think we had/ have the assets the Sabres would have asked for to get it done since the Sabres wanted to retool on the fly and land young regulars who would fit into their growing core.

We don't have a Bogosian-type young minute-muncher to swap, and it would have cost at least one more young asset/ prospect on top of that. That price is pretty high for a potential #1 when 3 of our top 4 D-men (now 4) make $4 million plus. On top of that, some of the vets we'd have to dump don't want to leave, so we'd have to spend nearly $18 mil on them all, and then Tanev and the young RFA's would've needed new contracts and more playing time too.

In short, no assets to give, no cap space to fit them all and no high-priced vet we could afford to move for (cap and roster) space.

Unless you watch Winnipeg on a regular basis, which I'm not saying you do or don't, but I absolutely have to disagree.

People can say whether or not Winnipeg "squandered" Kane. That's purely up for debate. The guy was given 1st, 2nd, and finally 3rd line minutes. And even with 3rd line minutes, he was still among tops for TOI for forwards. He was a very good two-way player, but was very limited (creatively) offensively. If other, believed to lesser players on the Jets were able to do more offensively (i.e. Perreault, Scheifele, Frolik) and currently Drew Stafford, I wouldn't say they squandered him at all. They gave him as much opportunity to succeed as everyone else on their roster. I think the "problem" (if there is one) with Kane is that people expect him to be a 60-70 point player. Based on his offensive skill set, I'd say it's safe to assume he's between a 50-60 point guy. Not bad at all. People just have to lower their expectations about him.

Now, as for overpaying for Myers, I can't disagree more. Now, I have to admit, I'm not incredibly familiar with Myers, up until his current 16 games with the Jets, but Bogosian I am very familiar with. And while Bogo brings physicality to his game, he is very, very limited offensively, is becoming injury prone, and has a low hockey IQ. Not saying that Bogo is a terrible player by any means, but I do think we've seen the best that he can bring. In 16 games with the Jets, Myers has been more vital to the Jets this season (both offensively and defensively) than Bogo was in 41 games for them this season.

On top of this, the Jets also received Armia, Lemieux, and a 1st round pick in 2015. And with rumors floating around that the Jets are already in talks to re-sign 29 year old Stafford, who has 14 points in 17 games for them, I wouldn't say they overpaid at all.

I didn't expect everyone to agree, this is just my humble opinion. If the Jets keep the Kings out of the playoffs, everyone is happy. :)

Myers is good but will always be overrated because everyone will always be wowed by a 6'8 defensemen that can skate.

What I said about him previously has turned out to be wrong to an extent, but I don't think he'll ever be an elite defensemen, which is what his value will likely be.

Myers is good but will always be overrated because everyone will always be wowed by a 6'8 defensemen that can skate.

What I said about him previously has turned out to be wrong to an extent, but I don't think he'll ever be an elite defensemen, which is what his value will likely be.

Lets not forget that Chara wasn't elite until he was 27-30ish. Anything could still happen with Myers. But at least at 24 he's undeniably an NHL player which is quite unlike most of our 23-24 year old busts :(

Does this really matter? Benning has made it clear he isn't moving prospects or picks to make things happen. I'm sure he did his job and assessed whether the deal made sense for the team and clearly decided it was not what he wanted to do. Move on.

NO he did not drop the ball.

What is our version of that package?

Horvat Virtanen and a 1st?

Ya....regardless of any percieved past history they had 1 player is not worth gutting this club over

if you are refering to any history between JB and TM...maybe Myers accidently kicked Bennings chair at the Boston table on the walk to the draft podium?

"Like...watch where you're walking"

Trader Jim is still the guru of rating players, he just was not going to part with a 1st or a good prospect, both of which you proposed to get Myers.

And you're right, we don't have anything like a 5'7" pylon on this team.

Did JB muck up? Not in my books.

Agreed 100%. It's not that Myers isn't good , it's that he wasn't worth the price

With where the nucks are right now , they can't afford to sell the farm

Guest Dasein

This is hilarious. All the nay-Sayers. At this point in his Career...TM has accomplished more production than Chara did at this point(he was 24-26 when he first started hitting his stride). Also I would like to point out that Myers production since joining the jets has him at a pace of 56 points/ full season. I think in 2-4 years once Myers is in his prime, we'll be able to tell how good of a trade this was.

At this point, Chara was about to go on a SCF run as the #1 defenseman on his team.. so there's that too

Yes Myers racked up more points, but Chara was meaner and tougher to play against in his own zone

I like Myers a lot but Chara was more established by this point. Myers had a really good start, but struggled a bit until now, whereas Chara struggled at the start, but figured it out really quickly once it clicked

Could definitely be a home run for WPG, but BUF was able to do this because they have Ristolainen

Buffalo got a package including E. Kane and Bogosian in the trade that included Myers going to Winnipeg.

Vancouver had neither 24 year old 6'3-215 defenceman of similar ability to Bogosian nor a 23 year old power forward who is a former 30 goal scorer in the league to give up. To try to guess what value Benning placed on Myers from what was given up in trade requires more speculation than I'd be willing to consider.

so . . . did jb drop the ball?

Whatever the package was Buffalo wanted, it was too rich for JB. Buffalo intended to tank, so they probably wanted his first as a starting point as opposed to taking roster players. Rumours throughout this season had Detroit and Anaheim after Myers as well, and similarly reported as saying Murray was asking a very high price.

Credit to JB for being (reportedly) one of the first to really go after him. He was also probably after one of New Jersey's young D-men, so I'm expecting to see more movement to upgrade the back end this summer.

no crying. jb is the reported guru of rating players. did he not value myers accurately and . . . what does this mean for our future drafting prowess if our gm is not what he was advertised as. i'm sure a 1st and something less that bo/virt would have got it done based on what the sabres got from the jets. myers fits exactly what we have been told the team plan is. re-jigging on the fly, getting players that are a little bit farther along in their development. myers looks to heavily tick a lot of boxes i would have thought we would have been looking for. we have nothing like him playing for this team at the moment.

so, the question is, did jb muck up?

I'm sure JB did not err in his valuation of Myers. From what he said after the trade he simply felt it wasn't worth the price. He even said they were asking for one of our big 3 prospects (bo/virt/mccann) but was unwilling to part with them so no, something less than a first and that would very likely not have got it done. If we put together a better package than Buffalo it likely would've gutted our team and prospect cupboard. Myers of course is a gifted and rare d man but I'm still glad we didn't make that move given the reported asking prices.

And you mention Kane likely to leave as soon as he hits UFA? From what I've read Kane is over the moon to be in Buffalo. He's going to get to play with Reinhart and either McDavid or Eichel. What's not to like on his part?

Edit: that unnecessary question mark

Archived