The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] - Chris Tanev, 5 more years

500k here, 300k there, 1m there... adds up to a difference maker. gillis was a boss at contracts, minus the nt.'s. still, was boss.

But it's easy to be a boss at contracts when you hand out NTCs like candy. Most players will gladly take a paycut if it means there's no threat of getting shipped off to Edmonton or Winnipeg.

Tans Tanny Tanner Tan Man in Van looking good tonight with some points. Maybe he has some untapped potential to put up 25 plus points a year consistently.

Never mind the points (which WERE nice to see), that was one of the better games I've seen him play! If he can play like that more often than not, he'll be worth his new contact.

Well, as the people who argued with me in the "Tanev negotiation" thread will tell you, I was pretty close in my assessment. (I said CT will re-sign for Hamhuis/Bieksa money) I just knew all along that those thinking along the lines or $3.5 million were being overly optimistic.

Now there was one guy in the Johnny Boychuck thread who called me an "idiot" for suggesting that people expecting Tanev to come in so far below JB, we're dreaming in technicolor. I promised said poster that I would be here to remind him who was and was not an "idiot" when the contract was finally completed.

I have to confess that I was a bit angry. (It always angers me to have my hockey knowledge called into question, but calling me an idiot on top of that? Well....)

I was quite looking forward to rubbing it in this person's face, but time has passed and the anger has largely diminished....

I'm sure he knows who he is.

Well, as the people who argued with me in the "Tanev negotiation" thread will tell you, I was pretty close in my assessment. (I said CT will re-sign for Hamhuis/Bieksa money) I just knew all along that those thinking along the lines or $3.5 million were being overly optimistic.

Now there was one guy in the Johnny Boychuck thread who called me an "idiot" for suggesting that people expecting Tanev to come in so far below JB, we're dreaming in technicolor. I promised said poster that I would be here to remind him who was and was not an "idiot" when the contract was finally completed.

I have to confess that I was a bit angry. (It always angers me to have my hockey knowledge called into question, but calling me an idiot on top of that? Well....)

I was quite looking forward to rubbing it in this person's face, but time has passed and the anger has largely diminished....

I'm sure he knows who he is.

Haha I know. A lot of people on here are still in high school. I wouldn't take their comments too seriously.

And don't think that isn't a concern, especially with his new contract.

I think the point is, even if Tanev has a couple of ~25 point/82 game season (similar to Mitchel in his prime), the difference between their offensive contributions is likely to be negligible. Tanev's not likely to wake up one day and be a 40 point guy. He'll likely have a career average somewhere between 15-20/season...just like Mitchel.

They're roughly equally offensive contributors and when you factor in Willie's physical play and similar shut down abilities, it serves to illustrate who the superior player is (or in the case of a near retirement Willie, was).

That is complete, 100% bull$&!#.

Tanev has already produced at a 22 point pace for the last 2 years with zero powerplay time. He's not going to produce at a 15-20 unless he somehow gets worse. That is not going to happen. He's only going to get better offensively.

People need to also consider the cap. Next year it may not rise much, but after that, it probably will. 2-3 years down the road with will be a steal of a contract. I'm so long Tanev will be around here for years to come. He will be a great replacement for Bieksa when he has to step down. I know their styles are completely different, but Bieksa can really pass a lot along to Tanev. If Chris Tanev could get to 190-195 pounds, increase his offensive production to 25-30+ points a year, and on top gains solid leadership skills, people will come around to this signing. Chris Tanev will be anchoring our defensive end for a long time. Bieksa, and it's starting to look like Hamhuis is starting too, just don't have the juice (ya dam right I made that pun) they once did. Edler and Tanev are suitable replacements

Tanev is listed at 185 on NHL.com but that is likely from 2-3 years ago. He looks a lot bigger now and is probably somewhere around 195.

I don't think the sharks would trade Miller for Marleau but you never know.... I'd make that deal if Lack has a strong playoffs.

Sharks would not be stupid enough to make a trade like that.

If he was on the Islanders he would be traded

Travis Hamonic > Chris Tanev, and Hamonic gets only $3,857,000

Leddy - Boychuk

Reinhart - Hamonic

De Haan - Pulock

Umm if Tanev was on the Islanders he would be their best defensemen. Tanev>Hamonic.

Sbisa's likely a lot closer to a Bieksa replacement FWIW. If anything, Tanev's a younger, "poor-man's" Hamhuis.

If Tanev can increase his production to consistent 25-30+ points during this contract, I'll joyfully necro the hell out of this thread, admit how horribly wrong I was and gladly take any and all spanking and whipping CDC can dish out.

Tanev is not a poor man's Hamhuis, what a joke. He is a better player than Hamhuis. Better offensively and defensively.

Higher offensive production is only one of the possible factors. People are simply arguing that added dimensions pay more, not just scoring. People wanted to keep Mitchell around because he wasn't one dimensional. He played great D AND was a big, mean SOB who could clear a crease and punish opposition. His ~15 points were pretty secondary to his worth or pay scale. Same as Tanev.

People are are simply stating the fact that Tanev currently hasn't shown a whole lot of either additional dimension. He lacks multiple dimensions to his game that IMO (and others apparently) he will soon be getting paid for. Here's hoping he learns to get on the score sheet more because the chances of him becoming a physical deterrent of any sort are pretty f'n slim.

Tanev has an excellent breakout pass, by far the best on our team.

I think he may be one of the better shot blockers in the league. I don't know the stats though but he gets to everything ... except a couple in the last week where he screened the goalie. :)

Tanev is one of the best PKers in the entire league, period.

I will admit I was a bit shocked at 4.5 whatever. I thought 3.5 for 5 would have been more appropriate but Im sure JB knows better then us. After all he fixed this screwed up team in 1 month. So I am confident that as Tanev matures and the cap goes up in 5 years time this will be an OK if not attractive contract.

Tanev is easily worth his 4.5m, not even debatable.

Also if Tanev stays as a top 4 Dman then the money is bang on.

Lmao Tanev has been a top pairing defensemen for the last 2 years, he is not going to magically start sucking.

Tanev deserves every penny, he is pretty much our best defense man and he has made those he played with better. Look at how awesome edler is this season and how hammer has struggled.

Your opinion is fairly biased ;)

Tanev is easily worth his 4.5m, not even debatable.

Lmao Tanev has been a top pairing defensemen for the last 2 years, he is not going to magically start sucking.

Are you just trying to start a fight ??? LOL

Retarded ley enough you just successfully said the same thing I said.

Are you just trying to steal my words ???

LOL your funny LOL

That is complete, 100% bull.

Tanev has already produced at a 22 point pace for the last 2 years with zero powerplay time. He's not going to produce at a 15-20 unless he somehow gets worse. That is not going to happen. He's only going to get better offensively.

Tanev is listed at 185 on NHL.com but that is likely from 2-3 years ago. He looks a lot bigger now and is probably somewhere around 195.

Sharks would not be stupid enough to make a trade like that.

Umm if Tanev was on the Islanders he would be their best defensemen. Tanev>Hamonic.

Tanev is not a poor man's Hamhuis, what a joke. He is a better player than Hamhuis. Better offensively and defensively.

Tanev has an excellent breakout pass, by far the best on our team.

Tanev is one of the best PKers in the entire league, period.

Are you Chris Tanev's Girl friend or something ? What's your real name ?

i'll break it down real simple for you.

1 - 217 GP is Tanev's entire NHL career until this point. I compared it to the first 217 games Mitchell played. Hardly arbitrary.

2 - It doesn't matter whether Tanev played a full season... I added up career points and points/82 games.

3 - I took the first 217 GP of Mitchell's career, just like Tanev.

4 - It's the same first 217 GP, has nothing to do with the rest of his career. In fact Mitchell put up more p/g his first 217GP than the rest of his career. you'd know that if you read

5 - The year after his 217GP, Mitchell made 1m.

6 - I'm not betting anything, I'm just showing Mitchell put up more points per game, and 50-100 percent less than 50-100 percent more than Tanev.

7 - Mitchell isn't 6 years older, he's 11 years older. Comparing Mitchell's long term value now to Tanev now is dumb, that's why I compared their production over the same GPs.

8 - no.

1. My apologies on that one.

2. The longer a player can play the more likely he can heat up and get in a groove. If he continuously stops and starts there's less of a chance to get going offensively for a defenceman.

3. The first games played contrary to popular opinion are not cut and dry indicators of a players peak potential. There's all sorts of variables that goes into it and though they may have the same numbers now, that doesn't mean in 5 years they'll continually have the same production. Every player develops differently then another.

4. I misread it, excuse me for making a mistake. I'm sure you've never made one before either. So you're arguing that Tanev will only regress from here, because Mitchell was obviously a better player even though his best production came in his first 217 games. There's no chance for Tanev to improve, he will only get worse right? Yeah I kind of doubt that.

5. No GM in their right mind would offer a huge amount for a guy who has only played well for one season, especially when the season before he was a minus 16. Yes he helped them in their cup run, but he was still fairly unproven. Also I'd like to point out this was 10 years ago, almost an era in hockey terms. Defenceman are much more sought after and valuable nowadays. Not to mention this was after the lockout.

6. At this moment Tanev has put up 17 points and had he played the full 82 would be on pace for 21. This is without any powerplay time, which Willie Mitchell got. Not only that, but Tanev is playing 2 less minutes of hockey then Mitchell per game. That adds up over a season.

7. Again, made a mistake. The games played between the two players in their first 217 games do not mean they both had the same opportunities. Tanev plays less time on the ice and has no PP time. That's a significant advantage that Willie had and even then he's putting up more points this season then Willie in his 2nd.

8. Yes it does, here's another stat for you to digest:

It took Mitchell until his 7th year to put up more points than Tanev is putting up currently in his 2nd full year. He also only had 2 seasons in his career with more then 20 points. Tanev is 25 years old and will only improve from here.

Quote me on this:

In 2-3 years time we will look back on this deal as an absolute steal for us.

It took Mitchell until his 7th year to put up more points than Tanev is putting up currently in his 2nd full year. He also only had 2 seasons in his career with more then 20 points. Tanev is 25 years old and will only improve from here.

*Lockout year Mitchell was on pace for more than 20 FYI ;)

Archived