The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] VAN signs Tanev

Strombone1

Breaking_Header.jpg

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

Canucks announce Chris Tanev five year extension. AAV $4.45M.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=759538

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed defenceman Chris Tanev to a five-year contract extension that will run through the end of the 2020.21 NHL season.

“Chris has developed into an excellent NHL defenceman and is an extremely important part of our team,” said Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning. “He’s a player you want on the ice in the most critical points of a game and we’re excited about having him with our group as we continue to play to win today, with an eye to the future.”

Tanev, 25, has recorded 16 points (2-14-16) and 10 penalty minutes in his sixth season with the Canucks. He currently ranks second on the team with a +10 rating, first on the team in shorthanded time on ice per game (2:46) and second in even-strength time on ice per game (17:55). Tanev also leads the team and ranks 13th in the League in blocked shots this season with 153.

In 216 career NHL games, all with the Canucks, Tanev has scored 10 goals, 33 assists (10-33-43) and logged 30 penalty minutes. He has also appeared in 10 playoff games, including three in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final.

Prior to joining the Canucks, Tanev led the R.I.T. Tigers of the Atlantic Hockey Association to their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament and Frozen Four Semi-Final.

The 6’2” 194-pound native of Toronto, Ontario was signed as a free agent by Vancouver on May 31, 2010.

Guest Dasein

Solid deal as long as no NTC

That's definitely a movable contract if some of our younger guys with better offense develop (Corrado)

Don't like the term length, or the amount, but at least no NTC (that I've heard so far). Definitely a moveable contract if Tanev starts to decline, or never improves on his offensive game. I guess it's in line with some other dependable D men with little upside. Tanev could still develop in to a 8G, 30-40A kind of D man.

I cannot see JB carrying 5 Dman next season making 3 mil +

With the emergence of Sbisa playing very well down the stretch and Juice and Hammer struggling mightly, Clendening, Corrado need waivers next season, I'd expect some moves to be made on the blue come summer this year.

Archived