The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Question about RFA contracts for 2015

2inthecup

Specifically for a guy like Sbisa who is worth keeping but maybe not at his qualifying offer i was wondering what the restrictions were for RFA contracts.

The qualifying offer would be for one year at $2,900,000 or possibly as low as 85% of that if I'm not mistaken, which is $2,465,000.

My question is if there are any restrictions to signing an RFA at a longer term contract for less than this figure ei. 4 years at $2mil per. Im assuming it would just mean signing before the qualifying offer deadline.

Can someone please confirm

If I remember correctly the minimum qualifying offer has to be the salary from the most recent year plus 10%. But as goalie13 said, there's nothing stopping Sbisa from signing a deal that's less than that number, either before or after the qualifying offer is tendered,

Specifically for a guy like Sbisa who is worth keeping but maybe not at his qualifying offer i was wondering what the restrictions were for RFA contracts.

The qualifying offer would be for one year at $2,900,000 or possibly as low as 85% of that if I'm not mistaken, which is $2,465,000.

My question is if there are any restrictions to signing an RFA at a longer term contract for less than this figure ei. 4 years at $2mil per. Im assuming it would just mean signing before the qualifying offer deadline.

Can someone please confirm

There is nothing stopping the player from signing such a deal, except maybe his agent.

If I remember correctly the minimum qualifying offer has to be the salary from the most recent year plus 10%. But as goalie13 said, there's nothing stopping Sbisa from signing a deal that's less than that number, either before or after the qualifying offer is tendered,

For contracts at this level the minimum qualifying offer is equal to the current contract, which is $2.9 million in this case. That is for one year. Of course once the parties start negotiating they could agree to a longer term and lower value per year if they want to.

But my prediction is that Sbisa gets his qualifying offer and takes it. And it would not shock me to see the Canucks trade Sbisa as the Tanev cap hit on his new deal is high enough to cause some significant cap issues next year.

For contracts at this level the minimum qualifying offer is equal to the current contract, which is $2.9 million in this case. That is for one year. Of course once the parties start negotiating they could agree to a longer term and lower value per year if they want to.

But my prediction is that Sbisa gets his qualifying offer and takes it. And it would not shock me to see the Canucks trade Sbisa as the Tanev cap hit on his new deal is high enough to cause some significant cap issues next year.

Canucks could always elect to take sbisa to salary reduction arbitration. It can be reduced up to 2.465 mill by the arbitrator. I think that is the option they will take.

Convincing Sbisa to sign for less than his QO would be nice, but probably won't happen, meaning arbitration is the only route for cap relief.

Maybe going to arbitration would serve as a motivator to up his game consistently, though he's been pretty damn solid over the last couple of months, his start was pretty shakey.

He seems to be our only Dman willing and able to deliver huge hits, KB is pretty mean, but Sbisa could really turn into a monster. JB did make the trade that brought him here afterall.

I'd really like to see Sbisa play here for a few more years and develop, IMO, $2.9m isn't too much of an overpayment. And yes OP, Sbisa can sign whatever contract he wants to, for less than his QO, absolutely. You just can't qualify him at less than (as Elvis stated) 10% over his last seasons contract.

Canucks could always elect to take sbisa to salary reduction arbitration. It can be reduced up to 2.465 mill by the arbitrator. I think that is the option they will take.

Good point, but I doubt if the Canucks will do this. First, there is a good chance the Canucks would lose the arbitration. With Ds it is hard to make a case for a salary reduction and the expectation for scoring is fairly low in any case. There aren't a lot of objective numbers to look at. I believe that time on ice gets a lot of weight and Sbisa looks pretty good on that dimension.

Also, the Canucks care a lot about morale and I don't think they want to look like they are trying to nickel and dime the players. And a lot of negative things get said in these arbitration cases. Big cost for a small gain.

Archived