The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Parents Insisting I Find a Girlfriend: Don't Know How to React

lacrotix

To each, their own. That pretty much sums it all up

Don't ever compare yourself to others as everyone has different views as to what is important in life. You have to set out and create your own happiness. As others have already mentioned, you probably just haven't met the right person yet. Things will happen when you least expect it. Don't ever settle for someone if you don't actually want to love and care for them, you're only wasting your time and their time.

I'd suggest dating sites, if you're looking for a casual relationship full of fun and irresponsibility. However, if you're genuinely looking for a partner who you plan to marry or just have a long relationship with, dating sites would probably be a no-no. Don't take my word for it though, I've never gone on a dating site.

What avelanch says is true though, that your prospects begin dwindle bit by bit. So many times I've met a coworker or someone at school who fits the bill of being intelligent, attractive, and independent, only to find that they're already in a happy relationship with some other lucky guy.

Oh well, thems the breaks

Meh. With these types of question, you're always going to get the camp that says that this is the best time of your life to get laid, and the camp that says to wait it out because it's never too late.

To be honest, just do what you think is right. Your parents don't control your love-life and if they force you to do something that you'll end up hating or regretting, you'll forever be bitter towards them.

I personally couldn't care less about relationships, but that's my own personal camp.

Do what you want to do man. Don't listen to guys who found their life partners at 18, or single guys in their 50's. I think you already know what you want, so I don't need to say anything further.

Unless you're something special, the older you get - the less attractive you become to younger girls. And by young I mean early to mid 20's, which in my opinion is the prime of the female species. Most people would tend to agree with that.

You're in your prime as well most likely. It really is, in my opinion, the timeframe of your life where you should be out there making these types of connections. You don't have to necessarily lock down a mate immediately, but you should keep those options open and explore them proactively.

I guess what I'm saying is... it gets harder as you get older. Especially if you're not a tall, dark and handsome extrovert with a robust social circle. Which judging by the topic you started, that's probably something you're not. But not many of us are, so whatever.

Meh, I'll disagree here a bit. Physically, men reach their prime a bit later than women do. You look more rugged and manly. Look at David Beckham, a lot of men get better looking as they reach their late mid-late 20's. I've heard from a lot guys that are in that range and say they get laid more than they ever did before.

Status wise, the advantage is even bigger. By you're mid-late 20's (provided you have your crap to gether), you're more mature, rising in your career, making more money.

Most women prefer a man that's a few years older anyways. As long as you take care of yourself, don't go Getzlaf, and don't enter creepy old man territory, you're fine.

I definitely agree with the second part though. As I brought up earlier, getting in the game is never a bad thing, even if you don't have time for anything serious. College is a great time, opportunity wise. It's a different time than the 1950's, you can keep things casual when you're young.

...you may not have the most robust social life. I would start with that, building up a social circle...Eventually you'll make friends. Then you can meet their friends, go out, do social things that normal people do. Then you can move on to dating/hanging out one-on-one/flirting etc.

Your dating life should be an extension of your social life for the most part.

At best, I would say that I have a simple and muted social life. I have several trusted friends I can count on, but most of them are only friends with guys. I am friendly with everyone and do talk to my neighbours, but it also fair to say I am a quiet introvert.

What this really sounds like is that I should just meet even more people to have fun, and act only if I find that special someone. Otherwise, just continue having fun.

At best, I would say that I have a simple and muted social life. I have several trusted friends I can count on, but most of them are only friends with guys. I am friendly with everyone and do talk to my neighbours, but it also fair to say I am a quiet introvert.

What this really sounds like is that I should just meet even more people to have fun, and act only if I find that special someone. Otherwise, just continue having fun.

You've got the right idea.

1) Ignore your parents.

2) Meet more people.

If you're an introvert, try to find groups with shared interests. Meetup.com is pretty easy for that, or just getting out more with your friends, sports etc. You can always try part time classes, volunteering.

Just do things. You'll click with someone eventually.

Meh, I'll disagree here a bit. Physically, men reach their prime a bit later than women do. You look more rugged and manly. Look at David Beckham, a lot of men get better looking as they reach their late mid-late 20's. I've heard from a lot guys that are in that range and say they get laid more than they ever did before.

Status wise, the advantage is even bigger. By you're mid-late 20's (provided you have your crap to gether), you're more mature, rising in your career, making more money.

Most women prefer a man that's a few years older anyways. As long as you take care of yourself, don't go Getzlaf, and don't enter creepy old man territory, you're fine.

I definitely agree with the second part though. As I brought up earlier, getting in the game is never a bad thing, even if you don't have time for anything serious. College is a great time, opportunity wise. It's a different time than the 1950's, you can keep things casual when you're young.

You do have some good points. The David Beckham example is kinda what I meant by "something special" though. Some guys get better with age, some don't. My group of friends had examples from both sides. OP won't find that out until it's possibly too late though.

It all boils down to it getting more difficult with age though. If you get better looking and more mature with age... but you're still attracted to that 20 something university girl who has 0 life experience and little substance to offer... what do you do? You either search for someone that age that you're attracted to and hope you find the rare mature gem... or you go with someone you may not be as attracted to but have more in common with.. or you keep waiting until you find the perfect package.

Anything is possible, don't get me wrong. People fall in love at any age all the time. But, as avalanche originally said, your prospects inevitably dwindle and chances decrease exponentially the longer you wait. You become more likely to settle for something for the sake of settling for something.

My parents are insisting that I find a girlfriend. I’m not too interested, since I want to develop my career first.

I’m currently 22 and Male. I’ll be graduating university soon. I spent most of my early undergraduate years in fixing up my broken self. Three years later, the worst is now behind me.

I also notice that I am less interested in girls now. I guess there are less hormones in my body now.

My parents say “it will be too late” if I do not find a girlfriend soon.

What should I do? Are they right?

See where life takes you. Focus on your career and building yourself first, but be open to the possibility of finding someone. My parents pulled the same move on me and, out of defiance, I subconsciously pushed away two potential partners and now I regret it more than ever.

My parents are insisting that I find a girlfriend. I’m not too interested, since I want to develop my career first.

I’m currently 22 and Male. I’ll be graduating university soon. I spent most of my early undergraduate years in fixing up my broken self. Three years later, the worst is now behind me.

I also notice that I am less interested in girls now. I guess there are less hormones in my body now.

Ask them if they would rather you be in an unhappy relationship (male or female) than have a happy life. One of my son's split with his go after a long term relationship and I for one hopes he doesn't settle with just "any girl" - he is 30. I think him being single is the happiest I have seen him in awhile. I want happiness for him not a random partner that doesn't bring happiness. At 22 you are still quite young and have a lifetime of experiences ahead of you that you may miss out on if you have a partner.

Correct me if i'm wrong OP but aren't your parents just telling you to get a GF...not get married asap?

Sounds like everyone in this thread has gone off the deep end assuming they want you shacked up with the most available broad sooner than later.

Just start dating already. It's not like every person you meet has to project as a long term partner. Dating is fun anyways.

kk if you live at home they just want you to move out..... if your interested in guys then so be it... go and explore... you will know the moment you kiss a guy... or just get close to kissing him...again it could be just fears... but you will at least know....

good luck to you! just remember 100% happiness is a rare occasion... you get moments and pieces, the rest is just compromising and coming close as you can to happiness... cheers!

kk if you live at home they just want you to move out..... if your interested in guys then so be it... go and explore... you will know the moment you kiss a guy... or just get close to kissing him...again it could be just fears... but you will at least know....

good luck to you! just remember 100% happiness is a rare occasion... you get moments and pieces, the rest is just compromising and coming close as you can to happiness... cheers!

better yet bring a guy home and attempt to kiss him in front of your parents... you will know by the reaction...

Honestly it's hard finding girls worthy of having a relationship with. I'm 21 and it's all one night stands and random timed hookups. Yeah it sounds great and it's fun (hella fun) but eventually you want to settle down.

Thing is though, once your in a relationship, all you want to do is not have one. So pretty much bang everything.

Archived