The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Was Your First Canucks Game?

thejazz97

I'm interested in hearing in about everyone's first Canucks game (or other, if you haven't been to a Canucks game yet).

My first game was December 22, 2013. It was the Canucks vs. the Jets. It was a really cool atmosphere, better than the MJ Warriors games we've got out here in SK or that one Phoenix Coyotes game I went to once.

Luongo got the start, but that was the game where he was injured. While that started our downward spiral last year, I thought it was still cool because I got to see Eddie Lack play. We ended up winning 2-1, so that was icing on the cake! I've still got the program (with Dale Weise on the front) in my nightstand drawer.

How was your guys' first Canucks game?

That first game crosby came to Vancouver and Luongo stopped him on a OT breakaway but then Crosby got awarded a penalty shot, and Luongo stopped him, then Crosby had another shot to win it in a shoot out but LU stopped him again then a Canucks player scored in the SO to win it

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/199403280VAN.html

8 years old.

In Vancouver for eye surgery, I remember going down to the glass behind the Canucks bench during warmup and seeing Murray Craven stretching along the boards. Bure skated over to grab another stick and gave me a nod/smile before skating back out on the ice.

Pretty cool to look at the old box score!

Very recent. The first time the Canucks visited Winnipeg since the return of the Jets. It was a 4-3 loss where Setoguchi scored two, including the late GWG. There was no head coach (Torts was suspended) and no captain (Henrik was injured). Lack was in net and made tons of great saves because of our poor defending lol. It was a great game nonetheless.

January 5th, 2011 against Calgary, a 3-1 win.

Second game was unplanned because my wife and I happened to run into a friendly scalper and we got tickets to the January 7th game against Edmonton which we won 6-1. It was a great few days.

That first game crosby came to Vancouver and Luongo stopped him on a OT breakaway but then Crosby got awarded a penalty shot, and Luongo stopped him, then Crosby had another shot to win it in a shoot out but LU stopped him again then a Canucks player scored in the SO to win it

The Penguins actually wound up taking it in a shootout. I believe Kris Letang had the winner. The game took place in December 2007 and Danny Sabourin was the opposing goalie (he had just been with the Canucks in the previous season, his most significant stint coming in the opening minutes of the overtime in G5 of the WCSF versus the Ducks in May 2007).

That was a great game. It was a loss but Linden scored in the shootout, one of his seven on the year. I'm glad you got to check it out :)

I was around 12 I think. Went to a Red Wings @ Canucks game. 12th row. My little brother was a gigantic Federov fan, and he made a sign for him and we went down to the glass for the pre-game skate and had it up against the glass. Got smiles and nods from Yzerman, Lidstrom, Shanahan... Federov never even looked our way. Never seen a kid cry so much in my life.

Fantastic game though. Pretty sure we lost but it sure was cool seeing all those "celebrities" in the flesh. Great memory.

My first game was on November 1, 2000. I believe the Grizzlies had just played their home opener at the garage the night before. It was a 4-3 win versus the Avalanche. Felix Potvin started and Ed Jovonovski fought and knocked out Adam Deadmarsh. I was eleven years old.

We had some great matches with our division rival in those years. The game I went to was our first time playing the Avs that season. The Avs took the next three games but the Canucks won the last game 5-3 with Bob Essensa in goal. We wound up making the playoffs for the first time in 5 years that season and played Colorado. Though we were swept, there were nights we proved we could stand up with them. On October 13, 2001, for instance, Dan Cloutier recorded a 4-0 shutout over the defending champions (that was also the game where Bertuzzi left the bench to fight Scott Parker and was suspended).

Those were really fun times. Sorry I got a little off topic. Love my Nucks. Thanks for eliciting some great memories OP :)

I think it was in the late nineties or maybe a little earlier, a game against the Mighty Ducks. I was decked out in full Anaheim gear, because the Mighty Ducks is the coolest game. We won that game. And by we I mean the Mighty Ducks.

Now I wouldn't get caught dead cheering for the Ducks.

Archived