The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks scouting story

BBQ Sauce99

Yes and we offloaded Forsling right away and sold high for someone who can play now. Anton Rodin was great in the World Jrs too. So was Jordan Schroeder. The ONLY one of them you can say actually worked out was Alex Edler and that was around 10 years ago.

Why even mention Shirokov, Ericsson, and Blomstrand. Neither are ever going to play in the NHL. And people gush over Tryamikin like he's the second coming of Chara or Tyler Myers. He's not. May have gotten lucky with him, but time will tell if he will ever play here.

I absolutely stand by what I said. Pull ALL our Euro scouts and place them in the Dub. If they don't want to scout the Dub and stay in Europe, it's time to find some new scouts.

There's a reason why the CHL manufactures more NHLers than Europe. Unless the players from Europe are HIGH END Talent, they rarely work out. Sorry to burst your bubble...but I'm not.

Noseforthenet: maybe. Eyefortalent: definitely not.

I thought JB went to quiet a few Prince George Cougars games? He has actually scouted the dub. I highly doubt Benning " I love scouting " would not cover/ scout every league out there. Its just not like him.

I can confirm that he was at a kamloops/PG game in PG within the last two weeks ;)

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ewen+Barzal+ready+break+into/10851993/story.html

http://mynorthwest.com/745/2264860/Thunderbirds-get-longawaited-commitment-from-superprospect-Mathew-Barzal

Two interesting reads on Barzal and the Canucks for those that haven't seen them already. This quote here has me wondering:

"His coach during his Bantam years, who also coached former first overall WHL and NHL draft choice Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, has said that Barzal is a better player and further along in his development than Nugent-Hopkins was at the same age." - Paragraph 9 I believe of the second link. Just wondering, is this the sorta typical tire-pumping we should expect from the coach of a draft-eligible player or is there some validity here?

I haven't seen Barzal play this year but last year as a pre-draft player he looked outstanding in the game I saw him.

i saw him live 2 weeks back, he made no impact in my mind OR on the score sheet. the only time he did anything of value that made me notice was his shootout move. I was less than impressed... i was disappointed.

i saw him live 2 weeks back, he made no impact in my mind OR on the score sheet. the only time he did anything of value that made me notice was his shootout move. I was less than impressed... i was disappointed.

Hmm that's not the first time I've heard that this year. Still seems like a very tantalizing teenage talent (alliteration for effect).

Lol .. to the ppl saying I'm a troll/Barzal family member, No.

I honestly would LOVE to be related to someone who will be drafted in to the NHL, but no. No need to shoot the messenger it's just a story I thought I'd tell you guys :).

When he said "lucky" it was NOT in a mocking type of way; I think he is just impressed that Horvat came into the league and held his own for this whole year after being drafted 9th OV 2 years prior.

Honestly I wouldn't get to worked up over it; for all I know he (the scout) could be pulling my chain; but I do NOT work with this scout I met him through work over the weekend and we just started talking about hockey. He did seem genuine and didn't seem like the type to make up stuff. Anyway it's fine if most think I'm a troll, just wanted to share that conversation I had this weekend.

Go nucks vs the avs :P

I've seen Gradin at the Giants games in the past, problem is we still didn't draft any of those kids. By the way I believe Gradin married a local Vcr lady a couple of years ago, so I suspect he spends a lot of time scouting in NA

If Benning needs a better presence in the WHL, he'll hire some scouts. I doubt he'd reduce scouting in other leagues. Scouts do a lot of networking and focus on parts of the world that they know well. Scouting is Benning's passion and the Canucks can afford a larger staff if it is needed.

I remember reading that Gillis focused on the OHL because he considered it to be the best junior league in the world. That was his bias. This may be why the Canucks had fewer scouts in the W than other teams. Benning will rectify this if it is a problem. Gillis still kept his European scouts: Gradin and Lindgren because of their obvious connection with the club.

Archived