The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we trade Miller in the summer? [Discussion]

If you were GM of the Canucks, would you trade Miller and just go with Lack and Markstrom  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It really depends on what the goalie market looks like and what each goalies value is.

If a team that wants to be playoff competitive and needs a solid veteran goalie than Miller is worth more. I don’t really see that many teams out there that fall in this situation. SJ? Possibly but they have a lot of issues to figure out this summer, it wouldn’t surprise me if Thornton and some other Vets are dealt and the team moves younger and a goes through a quick retooling, in that case Miller doesn’t really have value there.

If a team is looking for a young goalie to be with that team long term than Lack is worth more. Simple as that. I think a lot more teams are in this phase.

I left out Markstrom as he is a high end project goalie. Every team in the league has one of these guys in there system. No matter what his value won’t be that high this summer. He’s best to keep in our system and be next years back up.

Overall Lack probably has the most value, therefor, he is the one I think we should be trading. Lack as part of a package definitely holds value to teams. Either way we know at least one of these three goalies will be moved but next season. I have a good feeling Miller and Markstrom are the canucks netminders next season.

John Gibson is 21 and Fredrik Andersen is 25. The Ducks aren't in the goalie market.

All he see is a 25 year old goalie and thinks they need an upgrade :rolleyes: . Andersen was one of the fastest goalies in history to recore 50 career wins

Any way you look at it...1 or 2 of

Miller 6 Million

Bieksa 4.6 million

Hamhuis 4.5 million

Burrows 4.5 million

will need to be dealt in the off season to allow this team to continue a succesful "rebuild", and continue to get younger (and hopefully bigger/faster)

My vote would be for Miller, and one of the Dmen.

Guest Dasein

There's no question that Anaheim's only question mark is in goaltending

Of course, teams have won with unproven young netminders in recent years - Antti Niemi, Jonathan Quick and Corey Crawford. Can Andersen become one of those three? Or will he be the reason Anaheim does not win the Cup?

Anaheim has one more year of Ryan Kesler before free agency, and a whole lot of young RFAs looking to get paid this summer and the next. If Andersen can't get it done, Anaheim will look to add a veteran goaltender in the off-season. Anaheim's window is now - not when Andersen or Gibson is finally ready

There's no question that Anaheim's only question mark is in goaltending

Of course, teams have won with unproven young netminders in recent years - Antti Niemi, Jonathan Quick and Corey Crawford. Can Andersen become one of those three? Or will he be the reason Anaheim does not win the Cup?

Anaheim has one more year of Ryan Kesler before free agency, and a whole lot of young RFAs looking to get paid this summer and the next. If Andersen can't get it done, Anaheim will look to add a veteran goaltender in the off-season. Anaheim's window is now - not when Andersen or Gibson is finally ready

The only way that happens is if Anderson completely craps the bed and is the sole reason the ducks get knocked out of playoffs. I don't see the ducks giving up assets for a player that takes up a significant amount of cap hit and may of may not be an improvement on what they already have.

I think teams around the league took notice of what happened with the blues last season. They gave up a ton of assets to bring in a goalie and it accomplished nothing.

As much as it pains me to say it, Lack seems like the most likely to go. Regarding this thread though, yeah I'd like to see Mller go too. I understand the signing as well as we really had no idea if Lack was ready for the gig but in hindsight that 6mil looks better spent elsewhere now. If somebody wants Miller and he'll waive to go there then sure let's take it but I don't see many situations arising where A) We get a reasonable return and B) He'll waive to go there. I just think it's unlikely SJ or Anaheim wanna take a real swing.

I'm conflicted on trading Miller. On one hand, Lack has been fantastic, and could even be considered a starter for next depending on playoffs. On the other hand, we just signed Miller, and if we trade him, how will that look for future free agents?

Guest Dasein

Miller finishes the playoffs = he stays and Markstrom is traded

Lack finishes the playoffs = Lack stays and Miller is traded

Does that sound about right? Or do we keep Miller regardless for one more year just for stability/insurance?

I had maintained throughout the season that Markstrom has the higher upside than Lack, and that may still hold true in the long run, but I just don't see how we can keep Marky Mark over Lack in this market

Lack has the personality that just might be the only antidote to the poison that the Canadian market is for his position, and not only that, the way the fans chant "Eddie" has been quite a sight to behold

I say trade Miller, and possibly Markstrom, too.

Miller because of his cap hit. If we really need an experienced goalie, we can sign Niemi to a 2 year, $3 or $4 million contract to be a #1A to Lack's #1. Markstrom, we could get a decent prospect from a team that desperately needs a young goalie, possible a pick.

Did you have a team in mind? Only team i can think of being in the goalie market is SJ.

I would trade Miller in the off Season if something could be worked out with San Jose they are the only team on the west coast i see Miller waiving for

As a Canucks fan one thing i have not liked is the fact we are usually always close to toting the Cap Line, for once i would like to see us sitting a 5 million under the cap at the deadline. Miller along with Burrows and Hamhuis could be traded all for decent returns to the right teams. Our offence would not be crippled with the loss of Burrows and out D with all the injuries this year have proven they can step up when needed.

We finally as an Organization have the young pieces to inject in the line up and its time to let some aging players go to make room

Trade Miller to San Jose or Anaheim. Anaheim's goaltending wont get them through the playoffs. Gibson needs at least another year to develope and Andersen needs to not play as much. San Jose lost faith in Niemi because he cant win for them in the playoffs. Miller could and still give Stalock time to prove himself as a starter.

Either go for B prospects (Tennyson, Karlson) or go for picks

I think Miller should stay next year, but give Lack more games next year. Maybe then at the deadline or the draft of that year he might be traded. I think all of Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Burrows should come back and their contracts end after next year so we'll see how that goes. Depending on Horvat and any other rookies progression, plus vet performance we could be a dark horse team to go far next year. Chicago will go in decline with the big contracts coming in, LA is already in decline, and every other team in the West is unproven in the playoffs and have certain holes.

The best indicator will be how well Lack does in the playoffs. So far he looks cool calm and quirky enough to be a #1 goalie.

I'm rooting for Lack mainly because I think San Jose could use a goalie like Miller and he would rather live there.

Archived