The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we trade Miller in the summer? [Discussion]

If you were GM of the Canucks, would you trade Miller and just go with Lack and Markstrom  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well then sport; that's even sadder.

No, what's sad is a supposed adult acting like the child he's mockingly referring to, regarding a difference of opinion rather than having a merit based discussion/argument.

I won't hold my breath.

No, what's sad is a supposed adult acting like the child he's mockingly referring to, regarding a difference of opinion rather than having a merit based discussion/argument.

I won't hold my breath.

You would think that we "could" have a nice civil discussion, but never seems to work out that way!

VegasCanuck

I have seen no evidence that Benning thinks that Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, or Gaunce will be ready next year.

Remember, they need to make space for Baertchi and Clendening and I think they'll still reserve a spot for Vey. So, 2 skaters may be on their way out anyways. That alone in theory could free up enough cap space and the Miller trade isn't needed (to fit under the cap).

I think that those young guys have a real chance of making the club the following year.

I would wait til the post season has concluded to see what we have first. If Eddie can clutch us some games maybe a few series? Then maybe but only if Miller wants to move closer to his family in Cali. Just my 2 cents though. Just don't want to see Eddie have a strong season then have a bit of a slump once he soldifies his starter role. Millers value is immeasurable to this team at this time.

VegasCanuck

I have seen no evidence that Benning thinks that Jensen, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, or Gaunce will be ready next year.

Remember, they need to make space for Baertchi and Clendening and I think they'll still reserve a spot for Vey. So, 2 skaters may be on their way out anyways. That alone in theory could free up enough cap space and the Miller trade isn't needed (to fit under the cap).

I think that those young guys have a real chance of making the club the following year.

I don't think he would make that type of open endorsement of any prospect. What he tells people is that someone can come in and force them to make space for them, they'll figure out making space for them.

Benning said after the World Juniors that Virtanen did a good job of making a case for himself for next year.

VegasCanuck

Matthias and Higgins are likely on their way out. Though I can see them hanging on to Higgins and keeping Kenins tucked nicely down in Utica in case of injury if they can make the cap work (ie: move Miller).

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Higgins/Kenins, Richardson (or...?), Dorsett

Vey

It will be tough for any rookies to beat out anyone in that lineup. The only spot remotely up for debate is probably 4C (3C-B?). Virtanen would have to beat out Hansen/Dorsett to get a spot...don't see that happening.

Matthias and Higgins are likely on their way out. Though I can see them hanging on to Higgins and keeping Kenins tucked nicely down in Utica in case of injury if they can make the cap work (ie: move Miller).

Sedin, Sedin, Kassian

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Higgins/Kenins, Richardson (or...?), Dorsett

Vey

It will be tough for any rookies to beat out anyone in that lineup. The only spot remotely up for debate is probably 4C (3C-B?). Virtanen would have to beat out Hansen/Dorsett to get a spot...don't see that happening.

I agree on Virtanen. Really looking forward to seeing him in camp next year and how he fits in when healthy, but I expect he will likely benefit from another year of Junior.

No need to rush him unless he really turns things up in camp.

If Miller can deliver a player or cap relief so we can get a player who doesn't become a deer in the headlights on the offensive side of the puck and/or a player who can move the puck out of harm's way with authority, then I'm all for moving Miller and his $6M cap hit.

VegasCanuck

Benning did say that Virtanen had a chance of making the club if he had a good summer. But, that was before they picked up Baertschi. This bumps Virtanen down the depth chart and back to junior (no AHL for Jake next year because he is young).

They gave up 2nd rounders for Baertschi and Vey and a nice prospect (Forsling) for Clendening. All 3 will have to clear waivers so he really doesn't have a choice than to keep them with the big club next year.

Keep in mind that they run 23 players, likely 13 forwards and 8 D. So, 1 forward and 2D don't dress on a given night. So, it isn't necessarily as much of a gift as one might think.

Miller is not going to get traded. If Lack loses this one tonight, it's Miller in net in Calgary.

And he'll win that one. And the next one. And the next two after that.

Lack could definitely get us Buffalo's non-McEichel 1st round pick though...

Miller is not going to get traded. If Lack loses this one tonight, it's Miller in net in Calgary.

Lack could definitely get us Buffalo's non-McEichel 1st round pick though...

No we are not going to tank. JB's focus is to help the Canucks be a contender which he has certainly fulfilled expectations this year. Also I'd trade miller because one, we have Eddie emerging as an elite goaltender although miller can help teach lack how to flourish in the NHL, we are the ones dealing near the salary cap space and it'll free up a whole lot of space if we trade miller for 1st rounder and a prospect. I'd be happy with that

No we are not going to tank. JB's focus is to help the Canucks be a contender which he has certainly fulfilled expectations this year. Also I'd trade miller because one, we have Eddie emerging as an elite goaltender although miller can help teach lack how to flourish in the NHL, we are the ones dealing near the salary cap space and it'll free up a whole lot of space if we trade miller for 1st rounder and a prospect. I'd be happy with that

I said "Miller is not going to get traded. If Lack loses this one tonight, it's Miller in net in Calgary.

Lack could definitely get us Buffalo's non-McEichel 1st round pick though..."

Who said anything about tanking? I'm talking about trading Lack to Buffalo for the #21 overall.

I said "Miller is not going to get traded. If Lack loses this one tonight, it's Miller in net in Calgary.

Lack could definitely get us Buffalo's non-McEichel 1st round pick though..."

Who said anything about tanking? I'm talking about trading Lack to Buffalo for the #21 overall.

Trading Lack, cap wise, doesn't get us the room that we need, unless you can think of someone else major that is getting moved!

Lack will start the next one. The loss is not on him, it was on our compete level in front of him. He's the reason it wasn't 6 or 7 to 2.

^^

Agreed neither should be moved.

Maybe split the games more evenly next year but Lack needs to be "sheltered" per se for at least another year IMO. He is developing into a good number 1 and a fan favourite but I don't think he is ready yet.

With the defensive lapses this team can have and a with Van being a horrible city for goalies media wise I think it will be smart to keep Miller around so Lack isn't hung out to dry.

I just did some interesting research.

Lack's statistics in games started are almost the exact same as Miller's.

in 35 games started(I've counted the NYI game as one when Lack replaced an injured Miller and won) Lack has let in 89 goals on 1023 shots.

Which means in games started Lack has a .913 save percentage and a 2.54 GAA.

Lack's statistics were padded by coming in relief for Miller(and 1 game for Markstrom) when Miller has faltered. When Lack was having an off night for whatever reason Miller never came in relief probably due to WD wanting to rest Miller.

Just some facts I found interesting.

Archived