The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Unsure if FA or Draft Prospect] - Jacob Pritchard

60630417.jpg

Gems, gems, and more gems! Meet Jacob Pritchard, a 19-year-old playing for the Powell River Kings of the BCHL.

• MAGIC hands and elite-level puck skills
  • Shifty skater
  • Terrific creativity and play-control
  • Thinks the game well
  • Loves to provide energy and support for linemates
  • A+ accuracy of shot
  • Responsible defensively

Put this sniper with guys like McCann and Virtanen and you have a potentially special line.

Let me know what you think. Is his level of skill undeniable?

S7's Need-To-Know:

He is 19 and will be attending NCAA starting next year. Currently in the BCHL.

How does this pan out? Is he a draft-eligible? Did he enter into the draft? Can he be signed as a free agent?

There is a lot of mystery surrounding his situation, but I know one thing is for sure: this kid could be an absolute diamond in the rough.

He has the foundations of a great player.

If he's committed to University, that in and of itself doesn't remove him from draft eligibility. Any team can draft him, if he doesn't sign an ELC in two years, then he can walk as a NCAA UFA, iirc similar to Justin Schultz.

If his skills are as you say they are, and matching that with a 6'0 185 frame, stands a good chance that a team will take a chance on him.

That being said, the only recent BCHL alumni to be drafted into the NHL (in the last 3 years) is Beau Bennet who scored 120 pts in 56 games (at a year younger in age), so Pritchards 76 in 56 aren't that eye opening.

Although if you reach further back, alumni include Justin Schultz, Duncan Keith, Jamie Benn, Milan Lucic, Willie Mitchel, Tyler Bozak and Kyle Turris who in his first year in the BCHL put up similar numbers to Pritchard (72 points in 57 games). So some very good players have come out of the BCHL.

I doubt he goes undrafted, but we'll see what happens. Maybe he flies so far under the radar that Benning picks him up in the 5-7th rounds, and he becomes our very own Datsyuk.

If he's committed to University, that in and of itself doesn't remove him from draft eligibility. Any team can draft him, if he doesn't sign an ELC in two years, then he can walk as a NCAA UFA, iirc similar to Justin Schultz.

Thanks!

This is why I frequent this forum. Knowledgeable hockey fans (albeit sometimes a bit outrageous - but hey, at least nobody as bad as Jack Edwards . . . I think)

Archived