The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] Making The Lottery A True NHL Event

Also would this mean teams have a chance to get two picks and some teams get none. For instance. The Stars get three first and their other 3 are drawn before the Kings first three. Would the Stars get 2 picks in the top 14 and the Kings would get none?

Yeah it's interesting. Really I would like it done in tiers where groups of teams all have the same odds. 1-5, 6-10, 11-14.

If I understand you question correctly…. It would if they had previously acquired a lottery pick, yes, since that would give them an additional 6 balls. That fact is the same in the current system but this allows for other teams to balance those odds without having to trade for a 1st round pick.

In this sense a team could make three smaller deals to acquire 6 UB before the lottery, or during, that would equal the same value of a lottery pick without giving up a prime piece. By extension they also can get 'part' of the value of a lottery pick by acquiring less than 6 balls…. increasing their odds on the day but not requiring the other lottery team to decide to go All or Nothing on the day.

The lottery would be solely for the 1st overall pick. The remaining order would be determined by the standings. This proposed system could be augmented easily though to adjust for the top 3 picks and I would be understanding why that would interest people.

But once your pick is used, under that scenario, you are out of the lottery…. your balls would be removed…. unless you had acquired a 2nd pick. Neutered as Aladeen would suggest.

If I understand you question correctly…. It would if they had previously acquired a lottery pick, yes, since that would give them an additional 6 balls. That fact is the same in the current system but this allows for other teams to balance those odds without having to trade for a 1st round pick.

In this sense a team could make three smaller deals to acquire 6 UB before the lottery, or during, that would equal the same value of a lottery pick without giving up a prime piece. By extension they also can get 'part' of the value of a lottery pick by acquiring less than 6 balls…. increasing their odds on the day but not requiring the other lottery team to decide to go All or Nothing on the day.

The lottery would be solely for the 1st overall pick. The remaining order would be determined by the standings. This proposed system could be augmented easily though to adjust for the top 3 picks and I would be understanding why that would interest people.

But once your pick is used, under that scenario, you are out of the lottery…. your balls would be removed…. unless you had acquired a 2nd pick. Neutered as Aladeen would suggest.

Ah yes I keep wanting to determine all the positions. Well I guess my concern is that in your scenario both Toronto and CLB get two balls early. At that point I would assume all the other teams quit so then it would become a bidding war between Toronto and CLB to purchase as many remaining balls as they could before the next round.

I would think when someone has a chance it would escalate quickly. I guess I got to ask why not do it for all the positions then if true parity is what you want? Like I said earlier but didn't explain 14 positions decided on draft lottery day seems far more exciting one.

big holes

so if edmonton had 2 balls and they could trade for the last ball, there would basically be a bidding war to see who could go lowest. Because if you have a ball and someone else trades theres to edmonton u have nothing

I disagree that is a hole.

No team is going to want to gift the pick to another team without a significant asset back. The optics with other GMs would be a nail in the coffin of their ability to deal with them in the future. Also teams would hang in for one more ball to be drawn as it would dramatically alter their chances and put them on par. Remember that to trade an SB you must also have one.

Also since I propose only doing it for the 1st overall, how the teams are otherwise situated would make a difference in their evaluation. For example, if Buffalo is slated to pick 2nd regardless then they would be less likely to give up more than a team further back in the standings. This is the same dynamic that happens in draft day but it would be to a lesser extent.

Conversely the same proposal I made could be tweaked to not allow trading for the last ball or to exclude trading SB entirely. This would have the effect of alternately keeping the selection process more open for the final ball or making the trading of UB more important.

I would like to see the lottery done that all non playoff teams get the same probability to win the lottery. They should do it from 14 down to 1 picking balls. Winner gets 1st pick.. Last ball standing. That would be more exciting to me. Would force every team to continue to try as there is no prize for tanking.

Ah yes I keep wanting to determine all the positions. Well I guess my concern is that in your scenario both Toronto and CLB get two balls early. At that point I would assume all the other teams quit so then it would become a bidding war between Toronto and CLB to purchase as many remaining balls as they could before the next round.

I would think when someone has a chance it would escalate quickly. I guess I got to ask why not do it for all the positions then if true parity is what you want? Like I said earlier but didn't explain 14 positions decided on draft lottery day seems far more exciting one.

I'm not certain how to reconcile the concept with selecting all 14 picks. To do so there would need to be other significant rules in place, I think.

One would, out of necessity, be that you couldn't acquire a second pick unless you traded for a full compliment of 6 balls from another lottery team thereby taking their slot. The reason for this would be that although you entered with only one pick you could acquire more balls that would allow you to pick twice. Unless, of course, if after your spot is secured that all of your remaining balls are removed regardless of how many you traded for.

In my scenario although the teams with two balls would be ahead they would still need to give up assets to acquire either type of ball. The price for a SB, as the teams with one would only be a single ball behind with better odds to have the next selection be them, would be much different than for an UB which would probably be easier to acquire. Though the teams could be trying to trade up for their last ball they might figure it is better too take the chance and spend fewer assets on UB instead. A team who has not had a ball selected might move their UB more cheaply but they might also be more likely to move them do the other conference or to a team with only one SB…. as the prices will dictate. Either way… GMs would be giving up tangible assets for UB…. and that would have a bottom-line effect for only an increased chance.

What this proposal does, in contrast, is allows all 14 teams to be actively involved in increasing their chances of moving up, rather than passive having it announced to them by the NHL kingmakers.

Although this may sound gimmicky to others… the NHL has not shied away from such things in the past (Outdoor Classics) and is always looking for greater ways to maintain interest and revenue in the offseason. This board and others like it would be packed with people watching and talking about the league and the decisions of their teams…. exactly what the NHL wants.

I would like to see the lottery done that all non playoff teams get the same probability to win the lottery. They should do it from 14 down to 1 picking balls. Winner gets 1st pick.. Last ball standing. That would be more exciting to me. Would force every team to continue to try as there is no prize for tanking.

Again… that would take place in 15 minutes and would negate any possibility of intrigue or trading.

The purpose of the suggestion is to create an honest-to-goodness event that would generate sponsorship revenue and TV rights. It would also make it an attractive opportunity for GMs to make deals… something loved by fans and becoming ever more rare in the restricted cap era NHL.

I like the concept overall, and anything to make the lottery more interesting would be great. Being able to trade during the draw would be awesome!!!!

With that said, I'm not sure how they could do this? The current format works as follows:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draft-lottery-odds-and-how-it-works/

Fourteen balls numbered 1 through 14 are placed in Gary Bettman’s washing machine; in actual fact they are placed in the lottery machine. Four balls are then ejected. This forms a four digit number which is matched against a probability chart that divides the possible combinations among the 14 participating teams.

Basically, it's sort of like winning the lottery. If you finish last with 25% odds, you get 25% of the tickets? Wouldn't it be the highest probability tickets in play, and not the balls? Sorry...I might be a little off on this one, but I do love your idea. And if this was the case, how would that be managed/tracked? I'm thinking you would be trading tickets instead, which seems too complicated.

The system with four balls and odds in place is partly because it works pretty well, regardless of the number of teams and how they decide to change the odds year to year.

I like the concept overall, and anything to make the lottery more interesting would be great. Being able to trade during the draw would be awesome!!!!

With that said, I'm not sure how they could do this? The current format works as follows:

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draft-lottery-odds-and-how-it-works/

Basically, it's sort of like winning the lottery. If you finish last with 25% odds, you get 25% of the tickets? Wouldn't it be the highest probability tickets in play, and not the balls? Sorry...I might be a little off on this one, but I do love your idea. And if this was the case, how would that be managed/tracked? I'm thinking you would be trading tickets instead, which seems too complicated.

The system with four balls and odds in place is partly because it works pretty well, regardless of the number of teams and how they decide to change the odds year to year.

I thinks that's really the point of the suggestion.

They shouldn't change the odds from year to year. It should be static, even and augment able by the actions of the teams through trading.

The current system is only because they haven't figured out a superior one that addresses all of the league's needs to interest the fans and placate the ownership. I believe my proposal does exactly that.

Archived