The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you want in the first round - LA or Calgary?

babych

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we meet Calgary we have a chance obviously. What is more important and interesting is that if we match up with Calgary, that means Anaheim is likely playing either Winnipeg or LA.

Whoever comes out of either of those series is going to be beaten to crap and likely missing key players due to injury or having them play hurt and not 100%.

Let the other "heavy" teams tenderize each other and if we can win our series we could have a lot better chance getting out of the conference than you would think. That goes for Calgary as well if they won our series... neither team is built to really beat up on folks or wear them down so will have less wear and tear on them going forward.

It would be best if Winnipeg made it because a Wpg-Anaheim travel schedule is tougher than a Calgary-Van one which is extra miles and an extra time zone.

If we meet Calgary we have a chance obviously. What is more important and interesting is that if we match up with Calgary, that means Anaheim is likely playing either Winnipeg or LA.

Whoever comes out of either of those series is going to be beaten to crap and likely missing key players due to injury or having them play hurt and not 100%.

Pretty much this. I'm not afraid to meet LA. They are a playoff built team there's no doubt about it. With Minnesota playing as well as they are, they look solid to take that #7, #1 wildcard. If Calgary ends up 3rd in the Pacific, HOPEFULLY that means the Jets squeaked in at 8th, and LA is out.

For me, it's not so much wishing to play Calgary, as they're a good team as well. I just realllly want to see LA not make the big show at all.

I would cheer for Boston before I cheered for the Flames to make the playoffs.

That fan base hates our team, our city and anything related to Vancouver. If you have any doubts just go have a quick read in Calgary Puck or any Flames forum. They had a thread open about the Vancouver riots 2 years after the riots. They have a 112 page thread about how Vancouver is no good - in those 112 pages they havent realized that even with their best season in 7 years they still cant pass the Canucks with their aged core, supposed useless defence and blank prospect pool.

They should be thankful for almost a decades worth of Vancouver beat downs or else they would have never drafted high enough to get guys like Bennett and Monahan - guys they boast about now.

Bring on the Kings - if they slay that dragon in the first round they will go far!

That fan base hates our team, our city and anything related to Vancouver. If you have any doubts just go have a quick read in Calgary Puck or any Flames forum. They had a thread open about the Vancouver riots 2 years after the riots.

They should be thankful for almost a decades worth of Vancouver beat downs or else they would have never drafted high enough to get guys like Bennett and Monahan - guys they boast about now.

Bring on the Kings - if they slay that dragon in the first round they will go far!

That's taking into account a relatively small percentage of the fanbase (much as CDC is to the entirety of the Canucks fanbase).

The last time I was in Calgary was just after we had eliminated them from the playoff race in 2009? '10? I walked off the plane in my brand-spanking new Burrows jersey. I'm not a big or fearsome guy, and I definitely earned a few looks. But I ended up wearing that jersey out to the bar with my sisters and a whole bunch of their friends. Not only did I have some extremely solid hockey conversation with Flames and the surprising multitude of Oiler fans, I was treated just as respectfully as I would've been in Van. Maybe even more so.

Honestly both have their ups and downs.

My odds for us against Calgary 55-45

My odds for us against LA 35-65

While Calgary may see to be the easier opponent, I feel as if the morale of the lockerroom following the victory over the Kings would be much higher than if it was the flames we beat.

Prediction vs Calgary : win in 6, lose in 6 vs Anaheim in round 2

Prediction vs LA ; win in 7, win in 7 vs Anaheim, win in 6 against Nashville (2011 represent

That's taking into account a relatively small percentage of the fanbase (much as CDC is to the entirety of the Canucks fanbase).

The last time I was in Calgary was just after we had eliminated them from the playoff race in 2009? '10? I walked off the plane in my brand-spanking new Burrows jersey. I'm not a big or fearsome guy, and I definitely earned a few looks. But I ended up wearing that jersey out to the bar with my sisters and a whole bunch of their friends. Not only did I have some extremely solid hockey conversation with Flames and the surprising multitude of Oiler fans, I was treated just as respectfully as I would've been in Van. Maybe even more so.

Not trying to be disrespectful of your experience, but your interaction for the day with a tiny fraction of the fan base cant be used as a more accurate gauge than the documented years of hate and vitriol coming from hundreds of flames fans on their message boards. Also, I think you are more likely to see someone's true opinion in an anonymous fashion (ie message boards) than face to face.

No doubt that they have some knowledgeable fans.

That fan base hates our team, our city and anything related to Vancouver. If you have any doubts just go have a quick read in Calgary Puck or any Flames forum. They had a thread open about the Vancouver riots 2 years after the riots. They have a 112 page thread about how Vancouver is no good - in those 112 pages they havent realized that even with their best season in 7 years they still cant pass the Canucks with their aged core, supposed useless defence and blank prospect pool.

Take all that as envy and a compliment. We've had a competitive team while they've struggled, and when we come into their barn Canuck nation raises the roof on them. They should very much dislike us regularly kicking their behinds, just like most of us cannot stand Edmonton after all these years despite how bad they've been.

Do we really want other teams fawning over us how nice and sweet we are? Such good boys, hope they do well! That's short-lived if you're a quality opponent. Sweet-talk is condescending sympathy for also-rans. They even had to manufacture the "most-hated team" meme in 2011 out of pure envy for the dominant team we had.

I'd like to see Calgary in if it keeps LA out, and because they're a Canadian team and have been out for a while -- there, that's sympathy right there! Not what we want from anyone.

Not trying to be disrespectful of your experience, but your interaction for the day with a tiny fraction of the fan base cant be used as a more accurate gauge than the documented years of hate and vitriol coming from hundreds of flames fans on their message boards. Also, I think you are more likely to see someone's true opinion in an anonymous fashion (ie message boards) than face to face.

No doubt that they have some knowledgeable fans.

Hey that's a good point. Thanks for the respectful rebuttal I appreciate that.

My sister has lived in Calgary for quite a few years and goes with her boyfriend to 20+ games per season. She always sports her Canucks jersey, no matter the team they're playing. Other than a few boos and hisses she's never had much of a problem.

Meanwhile, I myself have seen a few fights break out with opposing team fans at Rogers after a disappointing Canucks loss.

Again, a small fraction of years worth of animosity. Just wanted to toss my .02 out there.

Take all that as envy and a compliment. We've had a competitive team while they've struggled, and when we come into their barn Canuck nation raises the roof on them. They should very much dislike us regularly kicking their behinds, just like most of us cannot stand Edmonton after all these years despite how bad they've been.

Do we really want other teams fawning over us how nice and sweet we are? Such good boys, hope they do well! That's short-lived if you're a quality opponent. Sweet-talk is condescending sympathy for also-rans. They even had to manufacture the "most-hated team" meme in 2011 out of pure envy for the dominant team we had.

I'd like to see Calgary in if it keeps LA out, and because they're a Canadian team and have been out for a while -- there, that's sympathy right there! Not what we want from anyone.

No doubt we dont want to see other teams fawning over us - just like I dont fawn over the hawks or the ducks , but I respect those teams. Generally speaking you dont see any respect coming out of the Flames fan base towards anything Vancouver related. Wishing the city ill will, wishing a guy like Burrows gets injured etc etc, those are common sentiments - browse through Calgary Puck - if thats not a good barometer of Flames fans sentiments I dont know what is.

Hey that's a good point. Thanks for the respectful rebuttal I appreciate that.

My sister has lived in Calgary for quite a few years and goes with her boyfriend to 20+ games per season. She always sports her Canucks jersey, no matter the team they're playing. Other than a few boos and hisses she's never had much of a problem.

Meanwhile, I myself have seen a few fights break out with opposing team fans at Rogers after a disappointing Canucks loss.

Again, a small fraction of years worth of animosity. Just wanted to toss my .02 out there.

Not disagreeing with you there. There is a high meat head factor in this town. Look at what happened in 2011 as an indicator.

LA for player development and assessment. A series against LA is a better assessment of where the team wants to be than Calgary.

It would also be a good spring board into the second round if we should beat them.

and I don't take Calgary lightly. They will be a pain in the butt. an 'easy' first round isn't always a good thing.

Archived