The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you want in the first round - LA or Calgary?

babych

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If we do make the playoffs,...I'd like to play the Flames...May as well restart the rivalry now because Canuck fans are going to have to get used to Monahan,Gadreau and Bennett for the next decade...I've seen enough Kings/Canucks hockey in the last few years and their tight checking low scoring games are not pretty.......Flames/Canucks are more evenly matched, and would make for some good hockey (not that I'm really expecting either team to make it to the WC final).

Well at least Calgary got a point tonight. If LA wins their next game they're in the playoffs. I have a hard time seeing anyone overtake LA once they get that coveted position. Calgary may not even make the playoffs now.

If we do make the playoffs,...I'd like to play the Flames...May as well restart the rivalry now because Canuck fans are going to have to get used to Monahan,Gadreau and Bennett for the next decade...I've seen enough Kings/Canucks hockey in the last few years and their tight checking low scoring games are not pretty.......Flames/Canucks are more evenly matched, and would make for some good hockey (not that I'm really expecting either team to make it to the WC final).

and they're going to have to get used to Horvat, Baertschi (the next one that got away haha) Virtanen, McCann...

Calgary - BUT I DO NOT view them as an easy opponent; They are the the come back kids of the NHL and you would hate to be the victim of their miraculous comebacks especially in the playoffs. But I want to play against them because of the following reasons:

1. Reignite the rivalry: personally, i never got to see a Canucks vs Flames playoffs live in my life, wasn't born in 1994 and didn't came to Canada until 2006 and I didn't know anything about hockey before I came to Canada. Seen videos of Canucks vs Flames in the playoffs but would love to see one in real life

2. LA Kings are probably the last team you want to face in the playoffs. I rather face the Blackhawks or the President's trophy winner of this year than face the LA Kings.

3. I really want the Kings to miss the playoffs.

and they're going to have to get used to Horvat, Baertschi (the next one that got away haha) Virtanen, McCann...

I hope Baertschi will be their next Martin St. Louis that's gonna come back and bite them in the playoffs in the future!

Man I was at that game, absolutely my favourite moment watching hockey.

Same here, would love to see some canucks play live in playoff hockey again. Calgary is a fun city in playoffs.

Add to the fact that every time the teams face each other in the first round, the winning team goes on to the finals

really?

Just checked here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Calgary_Flames_seasons

It has actually happened 4 out of 6 times as the flames beat the nucks in 1983 and 1984 in the first round but lost to the oilers.

Still amazing though that in 1982, 1989, 1994, 2004 that the winner of the series went onto to play in the finals.

But more importantly the winner of the series has lost to the eventual cup champ 5 out of 6 times and won the cup once. Thanks for the reminder though, interesting stuff.

Calgary. I hope the LA Kings don't make the playoffs. They seem to play a very Bruins version of Playoff hockey.. sometimes I imagine it as 'roid rage, but that's just me.

Calgary would mean a slightly better chance of the Stanley Cup ending up in Canada. Although I hope it lands up on the west coast.. :)

It's not just you, I'd bet my house Lucic is on roids.

Hey that's a good point. Thanks for the respectful rebuttal I appreciate that.

My sister has lived in Calgary for quite a few years and goes with her boyfriend to 20+ games per season. She always sports her Canucks jersey, no matter the team they're playing. Other than a few boos and hisses she's never had much of a problem.

Meanwhile, I myself have seen a few fights break out with opposing team fans at Rogers after a disappointing Canucks loss.

Again, a small fraction of years worth of animosity. Just wanted to toss my .02 out there.

I'm not saying your correct or incorrect but thought I'd point out that it's a little different for a female to wear an opposing teams jersey vs a male. I'm guessing the fights you saw break out at Rogers Arena were between males?

A lot of Flames fans hate the Canucks (and Oilers fans) I find it pretty sad. I once met an Oilers fan here in Australia. He asked me who I cheered for and he immediately said with a sh*t eating grin on his face "I HATE the Canucks". I could care less and as a result he got no response out of me. He even went on to "casually bring up" the Oiler's previous cup wins. I swear he would have been in diapers during the 80's so I'm not sure why he was bragging about them. I understand rivalries exist between teams but when you actually take pleasure in other peoples misery I think it says more about that person then the team or person they are bashing. That being said there are also a lot of great Flames and Oilers fans.

Fortunately living overseas I rarely experience this anymore and I think it has allowed me to cheer for other Canadian teams (specifically Calgary) much more easily.

Archived