The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are slaves catching the fish you buy?

Chalky

I have not eaten frozen fish sticks since seeing a report on the filthy pool of scum they are manufactured from.

I get fish from my family, straight out of the water. And that's the ONLY fish I eat...I never order it out or buy it. Ever.

In this day and age it is unacceptable for anyone to be treated as slaves or "caged". I mean, I fight for animals in such conditions.....I can't even fathom that people are still being treated this way!

Same

Tastes amazing this way too

This the dark side of living in the first world... cheap and abundant amounts of food and goods..

Nearly everything imported can be traced backed to slavery or close to slave like conditions..

Unfortunately this won't get fixed anytime soon until we take some responsibility and more importantly the third world takes a stand..

Guess all the posters in this thread handpick their fish directly from the water, wear no name brand clothing made by their grandmother all whilst texting on a cellphone that dropped from the sky. If it's not the fish then it will be the 100's of other things in your life that is here because of slavery.

actually fishes from Canada are generally pretty safe. Canada is VERY strict about food safety that involve seafood so anything caught locally (or basically anything caught from west coast canada) is safe.

What you guys should worry about, are fish from the USA or other country. My god USA probably has one of the lowest standard in terms of food safety among first world countries. You think China is bad? USA isn't that far off to be honest.

as for the slavery issue, seriously would anyone stop buying fish outside because of this? It's' not a pleasant issue and should be address, but if you have probably with slavery, then there aren't much you can use these days that don't involve slavery. Remember Foxcon and iphone ?

Clothes too. One shoddy factory in Bangladesh collapses, forget about it and cheaply build another.

Really good point. It's not any one person's responsibility to solve the world's problems, but if we all try to what we can where we can, we will be moving in the right direction.

Much like Deb, we never buy fish. My wife is First Nations and every summer, the call goes out to family members to come to Hazelton and pick up their food fish.

The wife usually comes home will a large cooler filled with Salmon. Some of it we freeze for summer barbecues, (Springs or Sockeye) while the lower grade Pinks are Jarred.

We have several jars of Salmon on hand at all times. We use for meals when we're tight on money.

TBH, I'm not a huge fan of Salmon (a bit too oily for my taste) but on those days when someone has some fresh caught Halibut, I'm all in. (Funny how the ugliest fish seem to be the tastiest ;) Halibut, Cod, Snapper.....)

As far as the slavery issue goes, I think it's a sad commentary on the world we continue to live in. Here in the west, we're insulated against some of the practices that go on elsewhere in the world, where slavery is seen as acceptable. The irony is, it always seems to be we westerners that are the ultimate consumers of the products that are made/acquired by such deplorable means.

Pretty much,western world needs cheap accseible food and products

Typical ignorant western statement..

The western world does not need cheap things because for one It does not centre the world or represent the complete picture..

If anything the third world needs cheap things as they make up more than 60 percent of world's population

So long story short get your head out of the sand please.. statements like the one you have just made make my blood boil to a crisp.

Typical ignorant western statement..

The western world does not need cheap things because for one It does not centre the world or represent the complete picture..

If anything the third world needs cheap things as they make up more than 60 percent of world's population

So long story short get your head out of the sand please.. statements like the one you have just made make my blood boil to a crisp.

Pretty sure he's trolling. The character in his avatar is a master troll.

Archived