The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Canucks Sign Joseph Labate to PTO

Gstank29

Somehow you guys support these signings lol. Stats matter and - 18 in college is horrible. How do you guys expect him to play in the NHL if he is a -18 in college?

If you don't like any of the Canucks signings ever, then why don't you sign yourself out of this forum. Calgary puck is full of people who are just as knowledgeable about hockey as you are. Sadly here we just don't measure up to your high level of hockey smarts.

Labate is a PTO so he hasn't signed anything yet, and it doesnt count as a contract. Hutton did sign a contract, but for now it's a PTO, and will only count against next years total

I think we are at 48 contracts now. But i'm not to sure about that

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Didn't know a PTO didn't count against the imposed contract cap.

Seems like a no brainer. if nothing else showcase the kid give him a shot on a better team rest some AHL vets in the process.

best case scenario he becomes a viable asset. Worst case he costs nothing and is let walk

If you don't like any of the Canucks signings ever, then why don't you sign yourself out of this forum. Calgary puck is full of people who are just as knowledgeable about hockey as you are. Sadly here we just don't measure up to your high level of hockey smarts.

This move doesn't make sense that's all I'm saying. This team already has many players like Friesen, Griener, Fox, Zaleskwi who are all similar potiental grinders. So I don't get how this move makes this team's prospect pool any better because we have many redundant (grinders) players already. Please tell me how this player is going to be better then Friesen or Zaleskwi?

Please tell me how this player is going to be better then Friesen or Zaleskwi?

No one knows unless you follow Labate closely, which most people outside of the Canucks scouting staff don't.

At this point, Friesen and Zalewski are just as unlikely to make the NHL. So the more guys like this we get a look at, the better the odds of finding future third or fourth line players.

I like it!

This move doesn't make sense that's all I'm saying. This team already has many players like Friesen, Griener, Fox, Zaleskwi who are all similar potiental grinders. So I don't get how this move makes this team's prospect pool any better because we have many redundant (grinders) players already. Please tell me how this player is going to be better then Friesen or Zaleskwi?

No bit of explanation is going to help this clown^^^^ understand or make sense of anything.

First time I have heard anyone complaining about a PTO signing of a drafted player.

Strikes me there's going to be quite a few changes in Utica over the summer, they have to clear some players out to make room for the "new" crop of prospects. The likes of LaBate are getting their chance to show there stuff under trained eyes on a day to day bases and compere them with known players already in Utica

How does a PTO not make sense? It's not like we've signed him or anything. He's getting a look. Plain and simple.

We don't know if he'll be better than Friesen or Zalewski. That's why we're offering him a PTO. To see if he is better. Are you saying you'd rather stick with what we have rather than possibly making Utica even better than it is at almost zero cost to us?

18 points -17 ? and guys like Subban are not still signed? What is Benning doing? we got guys in the farm like Griener who are more deserving of a contract than these long term projects.

First: :picard:

Second:

The Canucks have until June 1, 2015 to reach an agreement with Subban on a three-year entry level contract, or else he'll be re-entered into the 2015 NHL draft.

Canucks general manager Jim Benning sure seems to think so.

"Once his season (is) finished we'll get to Jordan," Benning said during an appearance on TSN 1040 in late February. "He's had a real good season, we're going to get him signed."

It doesn't get much more definitive than "we're going to get him signed," especially when that statement is paired with a 'real good'.

Subban has publicly said similarly positive things about coming to an agreement with the Canucks before the June 1 deadline also. From a recent interview with Canucks.com:

"From my understanding, I believe it will get done," Subban said. "During the season I don’t like to be involved in that stuff, I let my agent handle it, and from talks with him, it sounds like it’s going to get done.”

If the Canucks do get Subban's autograph onto an entry-level contract, it's most likely that the deal will start at the beginning of the 2015-16 league year. Subban could, once the Bulls' season is over - and they will qualify for at least the first round of the OHL playoffs - sign an amateur tryout agreement with the Utica Comets, and even compete in the Calder Cup playoffs.

Good move. Would like to see what he can do at the pro level. This gives him an opportunity to show what he can do to management to convince them he's worth a contract.

Labate has always been intriguing given his size and, initially, he seemed to have good potential. From what I recall, he's a good skater for his size and is generally a responsible two way player.

Does anyone know if Labate was a reliable faceoff man in college or if he has played much wing? I could see them seeing whether he can develop on the left wing.

Just so you guys know once jakevirtanen, jaredmccann, or jordansubban are eliminated from the playoffs Utica can sign them to a PTO and add them to their roster.

I highly doubt they will. they only one that I would consider would be Virtanen. Utica isn't that deep on the wingers and could use someone like Virtanen on any line.

How to make a post by Desiboynux4liffee

1.Look at stats

2.From opinion based soley on stats

3.Somehow relate it to Bo-sang/Subban

4.Name another player who is more deserving of a contract (optional step)

you forgot the most important aspect of #4

"Whilst naming said player...completely misspell the poor buggers name"

Who is Griener? Is he a player? Has much lots potential?

I highly doubt they will. they only one that I would consider would be Virtanen. Utica isn't that deep on the wingers and could use someone like Virtanen on any line.

They normally do with first rounders as, they did it with Jensen, Shroeder, Hodgson, and Horvat. Suban has been doing really good so he's a real possibility too.

Archived