The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Starting to flip flop on Sbisa

Matt_T83

Edler makes a ton of mistakes. It's just a reality that you have to accept when you're a defenceman. People make mistakes and that's hockey for you.

Yet when Hamhuis does that, it's a tragedy.

Anyways. Sbisa has improved throughout the year, but he still needs to iron out some things. I think we should try to resign him for a 1 or 2 year contract to see how he does. Hamhuis and Bieksa have a year left on their current contracts after this season, so hopefully he can be a top 4 in a couple years.

Looks really good on the pk and in ot but has his brainfarts on even strength.

Reminds me of Ballard... Except Sbisa settled down much faster, and hasa much lower caphit, which is the only thing that made Ballard look bad in his last two years here.

Yet when Hamhuis does that, it's a tragedy.

Anyways. Sbisa has improved throughout the year, but he still needs to iron out some things. I think we should try to resign him for a 1 or 2 year contract to see how he does. Hamhuis and Bieksa have a year left on their current contracts after this season, so hopefully he can be a top 4 in a couple years.

Admittedly, recently, I've been so critical on defenseman, but at the end of the day, hockey is about making those split second decisions constantly, on top of fatigue and other factors. It's why the players are paid those big bucks, ranging from minimum wage to Weber money.

The speed is so much faster on the ice than it is on the stands. Nobody would stand a chance if given a spot there.

I like Hamhuis to be traded for a young defenseman. It would be good for the Canucks to trade him to a contender like maybe pittsburgh for one of their young D prospects or to Ottawa for a young D prospect. We really need to change the D, since thats what holding this Canucks team back. I think our forwards and goaltending will be fine even after the Sedins leave since we have lots of forward prospects and young forwards that could fill the void from Jake Virtanen, Cassels, McCann, Gaunce to Vey, Bonino, Kassian and Horvat. We only have Corrado and maybe Subban for future D but there aren't any prominent names or surefire prospects that can become good NHL defenseman. Hamhuis for Despres or Pouliot straight up would be a good deal right now. Pittsburgh wants to win a cup, so what better way than for them to add a defenseman like Hamhuis to their lineup.

It seems like the natural transition is trading Bieksa. Something I am not very happy about, but it seems like it is one of the only options the Canucks will have. It is tough to give up a player that arguably is the most passionate on the team but it just makes the most sense. I think Bieksa is viewed as a very valuable player around the league and the return in a trade should be substantial but he just doesn't add that much more than Sbisa does to this team while being younger and with a cheaper cap hit. With the depth at the back, I really think the Canucks can save a bit of cap space with trading Bieksa and spend that somewhere else.

So, I must admit I used to be one of the biggest critics of Sbisa. The guy is still a +/- nightmare. Most of that is his fault... If +/- was weighted better to give -3 to a player for a single goal against where he committed a clear error, his +/- would be even worse (currently -9).

But what I really like from him, and is making me re-consider my disdain for him overall, is his physical play. It's very noticeable every time Sbisa is on the ice that he finishes his checks and punishes players entering the zone.

This physical play is probably the one BIGGEST factor missing in the Canucks' play in the past 5 years. I think it's pretty much generally concluded that the Canucks, while a very skilled team, just aren't "difficult" to play against.

So I'm glad Sbisa is helping to change that. With Bieksa, Dorsett, Kenins, and Sbisa we are finally becoming slightly tougher to play against.

Now if we can only get Kassian to play mean hockey and finish his checks....

Glad to see luc getting more support, while he does have some bad turnovers. His physicality is essential on this roster, and he's been playing way better in his own zone and not looking as lost as early in the season.

Its not his back, its between the ears. You got to want to get dirty game after game like Dorsett does.

Excuses for Kassian wont stop until he quits hockey or is traded I guess. If its not his back its his hand. If its not his hand its his linemates. If its not his linemates its his ice time. And on and on it goes

Man, so many people love to hate on kass, its ridiculous. Why doesn't anyone get on Matthias for not finishing his checks??

Archived