The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Did Kassian join the team on this last road trip? How close to 100% is he?

kidkurse

Well although its hard not to rip on a certain somebody for their seemingly obvious questions, there are people, I guess do not fully understand how the human body works and the medical/rehab process involved with recovery. I am going to address those questions as to provide an opportunity for education rather than reprimand - despite those questions being rhetorical.

1. how long is rehab? No finite time. Rehabilitation is a process that is ongoing that attempts to restore the original function or get close to it.

2. why didn't the strength coach work on his balance and core? You've assumed that 'balance' and 'core' are solely responsible for back injuries. Balance is firstly a dynamic moment involving reflexes and 'core' implies his central thoracic and back support musculature and ligaments. But, back to the issue - although impaired balance and mal-conditioned core stabilizing muscules may contribute to back-related injuries. His back injury is not necessarily a failure of those two components. There may be a myriad of contributing factors and it is unfair and negligent for your to hold anybody or any 'person' responsible for a physiological insult, in this situation.

3. why did the medical team let him over do it. Again, you have assumed that the medical team knowingly put this player in a situation that would exceed both physiological and structural limitations. A medical team evaluates, with history and evidence (ie MRI, scans), the physical integrity of an Athelete's body - what they do not do is prophylactically scan and investigate and identify any potential weaknesses and vulnerabilities - Else every athelete would be spending more time under radiological investigation than they would practicing. Thus it would be also unfair to say that the medical team, with knowledge, granted him the right to continue and play.

I would welcome you to have a think about what happens when you get sick or feel ill. For the most part, you carry about as is throughout the year up untill the point you feel (symptoms) of illness and disease - in which case you may or may not attend a physician who evaluates those particular reports of symptoms with 'signs' that are expected to be seen with the illness. You may get treated and have follow up. Exactly WHEN you become better is never precise or finite . However, you may be advised based on probability that you will not die but going outside for run PERHAPS may cause deterioration.

This mutual, discussed, process is more or less what happens in the sports world - with the exception of transparency with the medical treating staff and the sports club (its in the contract - the medical team being hired directly by employees can share health related information with the sports club - Additionally, the players know this and sign a contract forgoing otherwise exclusive doctor-patient confidentiality in the interest of the sports club). There is are many stake-holders and multiple decision makers.

I know this board easily becomes aggressive and quick to blame or wanting to blame an individual. Its easy, its easier to circle a bad guy and throw darts at him, or her, or a tier of the Canuck's organization. Just like its easy to blame desi-boy and attack him for his questioning - perhaps, we ought to look at the bigger system and not ask WHY did this happen, or WHY is this person like this, or WHY is this person NOT like this.....but instead ask....

how did this happen, how did it come to be.....Once we can open our minds to understanding the how and the processes, we can educate one another, further our own understanding, and be able to seek out answers - not just placeholders for our misinformation and misunderstandings.

/end spiel

I will add that only an MRI would expose a spinal problem unless it has to do with an actual boney vertebrae, which most likely is not the case. People requiring spinal surgery can look perfectly normal on an X-ray yet still require spinal surgery. If in fact it is an injury that showed on an X-ray, Kassian's season would be over.

Once sustaining an injury to the structural spine, it is ongoing and lifelong. The spine does not heal itself like conventional wisdom would suggest. Garry Roberts therapy is only a partial remedy and in itself only strengthens the core muscles but it does nothing to heal the spine itself as it is virtually impossible to repair spinal damage with out surgical intervention. Once the spine is damaged it is always more susceptible to recurrence and further damage. This is where Garry Roberts therapy comes into play. As core fitness is the only way to minimize further recurrence and damage.

This does not mean that if you apply Garry Roberts therapy after sustaining a spinal injury, that you will continue to play a long career of physically demanding Hockey. It simply reduces the chances of being totally disabled. If one continued a forceful physically demanding job after sustaining a spinal injury and applying the Garry Roberts therapy, the chances of recurrence and further spinal damage is great!

Garry Roberts injury was low on the scale of spinal injuries and resulted in large scale interruptions in his career and everyday life.

Mason Raymond sustained a cracked vertebrae and it ended his season until the bone could heal. This may or may not be Kassian's injury. If it is he will not play again until fully healed. If it is not and is instead a disc injury than he may have a limited career ahead of him.

The other option would be sore back muscles caused by overstraining or actual damage to the muscle. In which case exerting himself physically with strained back muscles could and would most likely result in spinal damage due to lack of muscle protection, resulting in an overloading of the mechanics of the spine.

This would require long and thorough rehabilitation of the muscle groups to provide and ensure proper and sufficient protection to the mechanics of the spine to prevent future injury.

The back muscles of the human body are incredibly strong and resilient to being damaged. The average person who experiences extreme muscle spasms in the back actually has not suffered muscle damage or strain but rather an acute discogenic condition that sends electrical signals to the muscle groups causing muscle spasms. This is the bodies natural defense against further spinal damage. It is unlikely that you will engage in damaging activities if your back is in spasm lol

Anyway if Kassian is suffering back troubles that prevent him from playing hockey, he is most likely dealing with something other than a simple muscle bruise.

Hurt my back two years ago. Only two weeks ago did I finally feel a pop at the bottom of my spine and now I'm perfectly fine.

Two years.

Obviously high profile athletes get the best medical care available in the world.

BY BRAD ZIEMER, VANCOUVER SUN FEBRUARY 1, 2015
PinExt.png
10779001.jpg
Goalie Ryan Miller #30 of the Vancouver Canucks offers the game puck to Ronalds Kenins #41 after defeating the Buffalo Sabres in NHL action on January 30, 2015 at Rogers Arena. Photograph by: Rich Lam , Getty Images

VANCOUVER - Ronalds Kenins scored his first NHL goal in his second game and now must wait to see if he gets to play a third one.

The fact that Kenins played meant Zack Kassian did not. Kassian was made a healthy scratch for the third time in the last seven games on Sunday, when the Vancouver Canucks fell 4-2 to the Minnesota Wild at Rogers Arena.

The Canucks are clearly not happy with Kassian’s play and coach Willie Desjardins said he is simply dressing the lineup he thinks has the best chance to win. On Sunday, that lineup included five rookies -- Kenins, centre Bo Horvat, forward Linden Vey and defencemen Frank Corrado and Adam Clendening.

“We are playing to win,” Desjardins said after the game. “The only thought we have is finding ways to win. . .I have to look at Clendening sometime. There is never going to be a good game where we want to look at him. It is the same with Kenins. Can he helps us? I don’t know. We have to give him a few games to have a look at it. I thought both guys played okay.”

The fact Kassian was again scratched figures to further speculation that the big winger may be shipped out before the March 2 trade deadline.

Desjardins said the decision to play Kenins and scratch Kassian was based on him wanting to see more of Kenins and also on the fact Kassian has not been very good. In the nine games Kassian has played since returning from a finger injury, he has no goals and one assist.

“I want to see what Kenins can do,” Desjardins said. “I want to get a look at him, I want to get a read on him. I think he has the ability to play in the league. I think he can skate, I think he can finish his checks and he’s got some skill. But it’s easy to have the ability, it’s another thing to do it every shift. I thought there were times when he wasn’t quite as good as he needed to be, but at the same time he got a big goal.

“I don’t think Zack is playing his best hockey. He is frustrated and that’s fair enough. His role is not an easy role right now, but in the end he has to find ways to be good and that’s everybody, not just Zack.”

Kenins scored Vancouver’s first goal Sunday. It came off the rush, when he took a pass from Horvat and put a shot from the left circle through the legs of Minnesota goalie Devan Dubnyk.

“It’s nice to score a goal, but it’s nicer when the team wins,” said the 23-year-old Latvian. “I think today I had an average game. I can play better than what I did today.”

The question is, will that next game be with the Canucks or the Utica Comets?

GAME ESSENTIALS

THE SKINNY

The Wild got second-period goals two minutes apart from Zach Parise and defenceman Jared Spurgeon to take control of the game and Thomas Vanek made it 3-0 seven minutes into the third. The Canucks made it interesting with goals 61 seconds apart from Ronalds Kenins (his first in the NHL) and Daniel Sedin, but Jason Zucker iced things with an empty-netter in the final minute.

BY THE NUMBERS

The Canucks outshot the Wild 37-20 and Daniel Sedin had a game-high 10 shots for Vancouver. . .Faceoffs were dead even, with each team winning 33 draws. . .Wild defenceman Ryan Suter was not expected to play but ended up logging a game-high 27:55 of ice time. Alex Edler played 26:26 for Vancouver. . .The Canucks are now 12-10-1 at home this season.

THIS AND THAT

After missing one game with a head injury, Canucks winger Derek Dorsett went out and got into a fight early in the first period. Dorsett won his scrap with Wild forward Ryan Carter, but spent a few minutes in the dressing room afterward. . .Attendance was 18,436, which is about 400 short of a sellout. . .Defenceman Adam Clendening logged 19:03 of ice time in his Canuck debut and was plus-one on the night.

QUOTABLE

“The refs didn’t beat us tonight. We had our chances and we’ve got to be better. . .we were frustrated with that call, we were upset, but we didn’t take a bad penalty or do something that gave them another one. We kept ourselves in a position where we could come back and we had some chances.” -- Vancouver coach Willie Desjardins on Alex Edler’s disallowed goal early in the third period.

WHO’S NEXT

The Canucks are halfway through their six-game homestand, which resumes Tuesday night when the Winnipeg Jets visit Rogers Arena. It is the first of three meetings this season with the Jets, who have lost their last three games and play in Calgary on Monday night. The Canucks finish off the homestand with games Thursday night versus San Jose and Saturday night against Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

bziemer@vancouversun.com

Read more:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Ronalds+Kenins+scores+Zack+Kassian+sits/10778997/story.html#ixzz3Xlf9LrGC

BY BRAD ZIEMER, VANCOUVER SUN FEBRUARY 1, 2015
PinExt.png
10779001.jpg
Goalie Ryan Miller #30 of the Vancouver Canucks offers the game puck to Ronalds Kenins #41 after defeating the Buffalo Sabres in NHL action on January 30, 2015 at Rogers Arena. Photograph by: Rich Lam , Getty Images

VANCOUVER - Ronalds Kenins scored his first NHL goal in his second game and now must wait to see if he gets to play a third one.

The fact that Kenins played meant Zack Kassian did not. Kassian was made a healthy scratch for the third time in the last seven games on Sunday, when the Vancouver Canucks fell 4-2 to the Minnesota Wild at Rogers Arena.

The Canucks are clearly not happy with Kassian’s play and coach Willie Desjardins said he is simply dressing the lineup he thinks has the best chance to win. On Sunday, that lineup included five rookies -- Kenins, centre Bo Horvat, forward Linden Vey and defencemen Frank Corrado and Adam Clendening.

“We are playing to win,” Desjardins said after the game. “The only thought we have is finding ways to win. . .I have to look at Clendening sometime. There is never going to be a good game where we want to look at him. It is the same with Kenins. Can he helps us? I don’t know. We have to give him a few games to have a look at it. I thought both guys played okay.”

The fact Kassian was again scratched figures to further speculation that the big winger may be shipped out before the March 2 trade deadline.

Desjardins said the decision to play Kenins and scratch Kassian was based on him wanting to see more of Kenins and also on the fact Kassian has not been very good. In the nine games Kassian has played since returning from a finger injury, he has no goals and one assist.

“I want to see what Kenins can do,” Desjardins said. “I want to get a look at him, I want to get a read on him. I think he has the ability to play in the league. I think he can skate, I think he can finish his checks and he’s got some skill. But it’s easy to have the ability, it’s another thing to do it every shift. I thought there were times when he wasn’t quite as good as he needed to be, but at the same time he got a big goal.

“I don’t think Zack is playing his best hockey. He is frustrated and that’s fair enough. His role is not an easy role right now, but in the end he has to find ways to be good and that’s everybody, not just Zack.”

Kenins scored Vancouver’s first goal Sunday. It came off the rush, when he took a pass from Horvat and put a shot from the left circle through the legs of Minnesota goalie Devan Dubnyk.

“It’s nice to score a goal, but it’s nicer when the team wins,” said the 23-year-old Latvian. “I think today I had an average game. I can play better than what I did today.”

The question is, will that next game be with the Canucks or the Utica Comets?

GAME ESSENTIALS

THE SKINNY

The Wild got second-period goals two minutes apart from Zach Parise and defenceman Jared Spurgeon to take control of the game and Thomas Vanek made it 3-0 seven minutes into the third. The Canucks made it interesting with goals 61 seconds apart from Ronalds Kenins (his first in the NHL) and Daniel Sedin, but Jason Zucker iced things with an empty-netter in the final minute.

BY THE NUMBERS

The Canucks outshot the Wild 37-20 and Daniel Sedin had a game-high 10 shots for Vancouver. . .Faceoffs were dead even, with each team winning 33 draws. . .Wild defenceman Ryan Suter was not expected to play but ended up logging a game-high 27:55 of ice time. Alex Edler played 26:26 for Vancouver. . .The Canucks are now 12-10-1 at home this season.

THIS AND THAT

After missing one game with a head injury, Canucks winger Derek Dorsett went out and got into a fight early in the first period. Dorsett won his scrap with Wild forward Ryan Carter, but spent a few minutes in the dressing room afterward. . .Attendance was 18,436, which is about 400 short of a sellout. . .Defenceman Adam Clendening logged 19:03 of ice time in his Canuck debut and was plus-one on the night.

QUOTABLE

“The refs didn’t beat us tonight. We had our chances and we’ve got to be better. . .we were frustrated with that call, we were upset, but we didn’t take a bad penalty or do something that gave them another one. We kept ourselves in a position where we could come back and we had some chances.” -- Vancouver coach Willie Desjardins on Alex Edler’s disallowed goal early in the third period.

WHO’S NEXT

The Canucks are halfway through their six-game homestand, which resumes Tuesday night when the Winnipeg Jets visit Rogers Arena. It is the first of three meetings this season with the Jets, who have lost their last three games and play in Calgary on Monday night. The Canucks finish off the homestand with games Thursday night versus San Jose and Saturday night against Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

bziemer@vancouversun.com

Read more:http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Ronalds+Kenins+scores+Zack+Kassian+sits/10778997/story.html#ixzz3Xlf9LrGC

thanks for the 'update'

Buddy of mine was a guest of Hamhuis for the Kings game 2 weeks ago and sat with Erin Hamhuis. She said he's got a bulge in one of his discs. I don't know back injuries but she said he may be done for the year.

if that's true, it can take 6 or more weeks recovery - he's been out 4 1/2...

I hear that....brushing my kids teeth one morning, turned and bam back out for two days couldn't hardly walk.

Ahah sounds like me folding socks leaned over to grab a stray and boom took me like ten min just to get on my feet. I guess I m getting old and all those years of a "I don't need any help I got this" attitude slowly catching up.

On the plus side. If Kass has been fighting a nagging back injury. It would make more sense on why he was floating at times during the season. Maybe it wasn't motivation that was the issue, it was his back.

reading this gave me a hodgeson flashback

playoffs now, i don't expect any updates deeper than he has a "body injury" any time soon

If Kassian is unable to play is it not about time Darren Archibald was brought in to add a little weight up front ? that's why we kept him ? ....for moments like this. There's no roster limit in the play-offs so why don't we make use of it. If not why even have a farm team

Buddy of mine was a guest of Hamhuis for the Kings game 2 weeks ago and sat with Erin Hamhuis. She said he's got a bulge in one of his discs. I don't know back injuries but she said he may be done for the year.

Who's Erin Hamhuis? Dan's wife's name is Sarah

Archived