As of now (playing vs Nashville), the standings loos like this:

Canucks 76 GP - 93 pts

Flames 77 GP - 91 pts

Kings 76 GP - 88 pts

Next 2 games:

Canucks - Chicago and Winnipeg - both games we play as visiting team

Flames - St. Louis and Oilers - both games they play as visiting team

Kings - Oilers and Colorado - both games they play as home team

It is so critical to win in the next succeeding games, including vs Nashville (at the moment its Preds 3 - Canucks 2 going 3rd), before talking about Stanley Cup contenders. WE NEED TO WIN AND QUALIFY FIRST TO THE PLAYOFFS. After that, all teams are qualified for the SC.

Odds of Kings knocking us out of the playoffs now is preposterous. They have to gain 8 points on us in 6 games for them, and 5 games for us. We get two more points in the next five games. It's all but done. I can't see them winning all their remaining games.

Canucks are an interesting bunch this year. They are guilty of both, not showing up and rallying to win.

We play well versus the teams that matter. Which is nice. But is it sustainable over a 7 game series?

Ever since LA, making it has been a chance to win it. And players are notorious for playing above their level for a short period of time... say, 20 games?

Special teams make a huge difference. Ours seem to be clicking this past month. If we can keep that up, and keep our scoring balanced, I think we have a shot at winning a round or two.

I am not predicting a cup yet. But if/when we make the postseason, I expect us to win round 1.

The big plus is that big & heavy teams make the playoffs. Which we are great against. While "fast" teams tend to miss, or be out East. If we somehow make it to finals and face a fast Eastern team, we can bet on everybody being injured enough to even things out.

No matter how it lands I am excited. We are in the playoffs and that's what matters. Even if we bow out early we have tons of young talent coming to the rescue.

I think we're peaking at the right time. We're getting healthy again and the injured players are getting back in shape and will be fresh in the playoffs. We'll be getting back some grit in Richardson and Kassian. Lack has been playing great since Miller's injury. Best of all, we'll be able to roll 4 lines that are capable of scoring on any given night. Add it all up and we have a cup contender!

Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. So goes the old adage.

We're not "stacked". Although putting Vrb with Bonino has given us a more rounded top six, I still think we lack a second line with real a "oh, s#!t" factor. But every line has been contributing.

We are deep-ish. The guys really play with heart, for each other and play a more team game than in recent years, the kind of team that can surprise everyone in the playoffs.

One big unknown is how Willy D will run this team in the playoffs. Can Willy play the coaches battle game like Quenville and Suter? Can he get these guys ready to play from the first faceoff?

If they make the playoffs, sure, they're contenders. They won't be favorites by any stretch, but then again, ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

Plus, we've got a pretty good adversity, rookie, goalie story and the league HATES us..All good motivators and "good karma" builders. Love these guys. Go Canucks go!

Odds of Kings knocking us out of the playoffs now is preposterous. They have to gain 8 points on us in 6 games for them, and 5 games for us. We get two more points in the next five games. It's all but done. I can't see them winning all their remaining games.

agreed, its almost impossible.

if the Kings run the table and win every game they will end up with 100 pts.

With the canucks having 5 games left and needing only need 5 points to get 100 pts, a 2-2-1 record kills the kings chances of getting over us.

our magic number is 5... every point we gain brings the number down and every point the kings lose brings down that number.

Congrats to Linden and Benning they wanted us back in the play-offs, they worked hard and they made it happen!

The Canucks aren't "serious contenders" in the same way they were in 2011 and 2012, and i absolutely love that.

Nobody, from sports media to the blindest, most optimistically ignorant Canucks fan, pegged the Nucks in the playoff picture at all. I believe there's something great in not having the outside pressure to live up to whatever hype is thrust upon a team. Players can say it doesn't get to them, but they're not dumb and I'm sure they feel it.

Now the Canucks flew in under the radar, disguised as a "team in a reset" to become one of the most competitive teams in the west.

And while i dont know they'll make it deep into the playoffs, we've all seen some unbelievable things happen in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. And I'm just stoked to ride this roller coaster to its end.

also, i haven't posted in a while, but thanks for some good reads as of late. :)

I think we're peaking at the right time. We're getting healthy again and the injured players are getting back in shape and will be fresh in the playoffs. We'll be getting back some grit in Richardson and Kassian. Lack has been playing great since Miller's injury. Best of all, we'll be able to roll 4 lines that are capable of scoring on any given night. Add it all up and we have a cup contender!

I am not sold on us going to the finals. But if LA misses the show our odds improve greatly. Although if they do make it they will probably face Anaheim so that could still work out ok. I am also excited to see which or how many of our new players ramp it up in the playoffs

Vrbata

Bonino

Mathias

Vey

dorsett

Sbisa

Horvat

Kenins

Lack

Vrbata was good for Phoenix. Bonino was huge for Anaheim last year. Mathias has never been to the post season. Same for Vey I think....actually Im not sure on that one. Dorsett was clutch for NYR. Sbisa I think will be good with big hits. Horvat will be interesting in deed along with his buddy Kenins. And Lack seems to be getting better aside from the last game or two. So anything is possible.

I just again worry that our smaller size compared to a lot of our Western counterparts may be the determining factor.

And yes it is exciting to see the team peaking or gelling at the perfect time!

Fun fact:

Canucks are tied in points with NYI and PIT.

Who would have guessed that half way through the year.

Should also mention they are tied with Anaheim in ROWS.

I would have guessed they would be around the NYI (out of playoffs) NYI, CAL and VAN heve really surprised this year.

Speed and our team dont go together.

Skills = Sedins + Vrbata

We are a soft team. We are actually a big team in terms of height. Only physical player on our team are Kassian (once in every 5 games), Sbisa and some times Edler (I doubt anymore because of his bad back). Dorsett tries to be, but is too small.

Any way, any playoff team has a chance for the stanley cup.

We weren't especially known as a tough team during '10-'11 either and we still managed to hang with the best until the very end. While this team isn't as skilled as that (and older, no less) we ARE deeper up front, which could pay huge dividends come playoffs. I'd put up our "bottom 6" against any in the league, easily. If Bonino and Vrbata continue their hot streak it gives us a legitimate threat on every line, taking loads of pressure off of the Sedins.

The telling thing as others have said is our defence. We're absolutely going to continue to need Miller/Lack to be outstanding, and that doesn't feel like a recipe for success in the playoffs. When they play a simple game it pans out far better as we've seen the last couple of nights. Defensive breakdowns are going to happen to any team, but mental errors is something that shouldn't happen very often.

However, this team continues to impress me, even now we still have 3 regulars not playing and are continuing to gut out victories. IMO we're most certainly not a favourite or anything close, but I don't hate our chances either. In fact, I would love to be the dark horse this year.

If we make second round I'll be thrilled, but regardless, playoff hockey is playoff hockey, I'll take anything we can get.

I just looked at ESPN's latest Power Rankings, which yes I realize are biased but:

Of the 15 teams ranked higher than us we've won 12 or 13 of the most recent game against each team.

We've played 8 of those teams in the past 2 months and won every one of the most recent games against those 8 teams.

Don't want to take anything for granted but we should make the playoffs and if we do we've got a decent shot at getting through either the Kings or Flames and into round 2. If that happens then who knows. We're not playing lights out but no team is. Well maybe Columbus but....

Defensive gafs and overall give aways need some attention and our top line needs to find a way to get more points.

Vrbata and Lack have been clutch players, hopefully it's contagious.

and there they came.... from out of the blue.

who knew?

Archived