The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Is Our Year

Scorvat

Here we are again. Vancouver off to the playoffs. Now we are among the couch potato coaches and wanna be know it all pundits. They are divided into the every optomistic, the hopeful, and the negative nancies. Of course most of the crap comes from the negatives sorts, this is because they carry the team on their sleeve and feel like everyone is against them, the league, the other teams, and of course the officials. They will tell you the Vancouver Canucks won't cut it, they only get our hopes up and then get taken out. Yikes!

Okay, I tend to be half way between hopeful and optomistic. First, the Vancouver team is far healthier and better rested than they have been for years. Thank the coach for that, he kept 4 lines rolling. Willie does not conform or believe in first line or fourth line. This is media stigma.

Second, in spite of how John Tortorella was a horrible fit for the Canucks last year, he was still passionate and proved beyond a doubt that the Sedins no longer needed the kid glove treatment and could be a force on the penalty kill and block shots. Henrik and Daniel this year are far more punishing along the boards instead of just fishing for the puck.

Third, Burrows, Hansen, and Bieksa are back being chirpy, annoying, and getting under players skins. This gives them confidence, self esteem, and higher performance. The Vancouver Canucks job is not to be loved by the league or other teams, their job is to bring excitement to the game and be loved by their fans.

I am not going to guess how far they will go this year. I can only say, they are stronger, more confident, more relaxed, and have a powerful bond both in the dressing room and with coaching, management, and ownership. Statistics are numbers, people foolishly use statistics because they believe it gives the edge in gambling. Yet, puck luck is NOT a statistic. We can't predict when key players get injured. So, Canucks are much different, the talent is so spread around, and each player has unique characteristic qualities. Trust me, when the playoffs start, Kassian, Richardson, and Matthias will all be available. Teams can carry as many players as they want during playoffs. It has been rare for the Canucks to have the luxury to carry depth when they hit the playoffs.

not sure why all the people insist on playing against a goalie that have a goals against avg of 1.18 and a sv% of .955 against us.. the 4-1 game was really 2-1.. and the 2-1 shootout game is really just 1-1.. and scoring have always been a problem for this team.. and everyone wants to go play the team we have trouble scoring against..

I guess we'll see since we got the Flames. I think we'll lose the series personally whereas I felt we'd have the Kings this time. Regular season matchup means nothing in the playoffs. Just ask the Sens when they faced the Leafs in the past.

This season has been a crazy one.

The Canucks could finish with 101 pnts and will finish no higher than 5th in the conference and no higher than 9th in the league. I don't think I've ever seen that in the NHL. And there are others that can also make the 100 mark. I don't see a clear favorite to win. That bodes well for us. I feel we can beat any team in the playoffs this year.

Vancouver/Calgary, first round; I'm stoked. Old school match up. I think we're in for a treat and all players on both sides gotta be pumped. Both sides are riding highs going into the post season and have been in playoff mode for weeks. By the way; Did I mention I'm stoked?

Like I said I think this is going to be a great series and it's going to be close but I'm taking our beloved Canucks in 7.

P.S. I hope Lack is a lock to stàrt; And beyond the first loss. He's really earned it. I feel for Miller but we must believe in Eddie.

Depth will be our key to success - and with our penalty kill and a late-surging powerplay, we can win the special teams battles. TBH, I'd be more than happy if we made it to the second round; this team has surprised me all year. They have great character.

Here we are again. Vancouver off to the playoffs. Now we are among the couch potato coaches and wanna be know it all pundits. They are divided into the every optomistic, the hopeful, and the negative nancies. Of course most of the crap comes from the negatives sorts, this is because they carry the team on their sleeve and feel like everyone is against them, the league, the other teams, and of course the officials. They will tell you the Vancouver Canucks won't cut it, they only get our hopes up and then get taken out. Yikes!

Okay, I tend to be half way between hopeful and optomistic. First, the Vancouver team is far healthier and better rested than they have been for years. Thank the coach for that, he kept 4 lines rolling. Willie does not conform or believe in first line or fourth line. This is media stigma.

Second, in spite of how John Tortorella was a horrible fit for the Canucks last year, he was still passionate and proved beyond a doubt that the Sedins no longer needed the kid glove treatment and could be a force on the penalty kill and block shots. Henrik and Daniel this year are far more punishing along the boards instead of just fishing for the puck.

Third, Burrows, Hansen, and Bieksa are back being chirpy, annoying, and getting under players skins. This gives them confidence, self esteem, and higher performance. The Vancouver Canucks job is not to be loved by the league or other teams, their job is to bring excitement to the game and be loved by their fans.

I am not going to guess how far they will go this year. I can only say, they are stronger, more confident, more relaxed, and have a powerful bond both in the dressing room and with coaching, management, and ownership. Statistics are numbers, people foolishly use statistics because they believe it gives the edge in gambling. Yet, puck luck is NOT a statistic. We can't predict when key players get injured. So, Canucks are much different, the talent is so spread around, and each player has unique characteristic qualities. Trust me, when the playoffs start, Kassian, Richardson, and Matthias will all be available. Teams can carry as many players as they want during playoffs. It has been rare for the Canucks to have the luxury to carry depth when they hit the playoffs.

Very well said. I too am optimistic about this year. You are right, players such as the Sedin's learned a thing or two about playing tougher and they are better for it.

I agree with the stats as well. If stats were a "for sure" predictor Gamblers would be rich.

I still kind think I would have preferred an LAK match up in the first round, I like being the underdog, which I think flames are the underdog to us. If they lose to the flames it could be a severely crushing blow.

If they make it all the way that they get the blues in the western final instead of preds, and get nyr just because of the awesome storyline that would be. Facing our former coach against the team that beat us 94.. it would be intense!!

I still kind think I would have preferred an LAK match up in the first round, I like being the underdog, which I think flames are the underdog to us. If they lose to the flames it could be a severely crushing blow.

If they make it all the way that they get the blues in the western final instead of preds, and get nyr just because of the awesome storyline that would be. Facing our former coach against the team that beat us 94.. it would be intense!!

If we can somehow beat the flames we most likely play the Ducks. With all the scoring depth, I think there is a chance we might go on a run but if we play the Ducks, wild, Lightning or Rangers we will need a ton of heart to win a 7 game series.

This team reminds me a lot of the 06/07 team. A old core in the middle of transitioning to a new core. A ton of heart in the playoffs but that team eventually lost to the Ducks in the second round.

To all you none believers out there here are some facts that can change your mind! Since the second half of the season (All star break) we got the most points in the Pacific division. So if we had half a season we would be 1st in the Division and second in the conference behind Minne. We are great against a lot of the teams that are in the playoffs for example; St Louis (3-0) Chicago (2-1) Winnipeg (2-1) NYI (2-0) Pittsburgh (2-0) Ottawa (1-0) and Washington (2-0) That is really awesome! Not to mention we are 500 against many teams as well; Anaheim (2-1-2) Calgary (2-2) Montreal (1-1) Detroit (1-1) NYR (1-1).

To be honest our biggest threats like Nashville are slowing down! They have not been great through the second half of the season and in fact they would have the second wild card spot if we had a half season! Our biggest challenges are Tampa, our only shot of facing them is in the SCF which is unlikely. Detroit, we don't play our best against them and I feel like they're a second round team tops but you never know, it's the play offs. Minnesota, hardest challenge coming from the west! We're only 1-2 against them and they have been on fire but if one of the central teams can take them out (Hopefully St Louis) then we'll be almost golden for the Conference final. Think about it, other teams can take us lightly because we are the dark horse and we can use that to our advantage! Calgary is going to be another tough team but we can take them and it'll be an entertaining battle! I think if we make it pass the second round we're golden! Our highest odds of going out are probably the first or the second, it'll depend who we get. LETS MAKE SOME NOISE!!! SOMETHING HUGE IS COMING TO VANCOUVER :towel:

EDIT: Call me a homer all you want but just look at the facts before you give titles.

If we can somehow beat the flames we most likely play the Ducks. With all the scoring depth, I think there is a chance we might go on a run but if we play the Ducks, wild, Lightning or Rangers we will need a ton of heart to win a 7 game series.

This team reminds me a lot of the 06/07 team. A old core in the middle of transitioning to a new core. A ton of heart in the playoffs but that team eventually lost to the Ducks in the second round.

Thats what ive been thinking alot lately also, the thing is however, were not the 06/07 team, were the 14/15 team, Different players are at the reigns and we have no way of knowing what will happen, but I do see the eerie similarity.

Personally, and this is just me but I think the recent SCF experience is going to help the old core compete while the young guns are going to have a blast and come up big for us.

I personally think, if we win the Stanley Cup this year, it's going to feel the entire past 3 seasons ever since we lost in game 7 are just like one, massive series against the entire league to get back and take back what we felt like we deserved against the Bruins. The canucks lost to the blackhawks twice in the second round, and almost blew it the third time before we got to the SCF the first time.

Isn't it just the canucks style to have to fail before they succeed? Thats why I follow this team, they make it interesting and they mimic the unfairness and cruelty of reality and day to day life with the storylines they make.

/Melodrama

Go Canucks!

Man the signs of us going to the finals is NUTS!!!!!!!

1. We are all expecting to beat the Flames in round 1. Atleast I hope so. Now 100% of the time, the winner in the 1st round (since the start of a 7 game series) between these 2 teams, went to the SCF!!!

Oh, and theres a pattern to!!!

89- Flames beat Canucks 4-3 and went on to win the Stanley Cup

94- Canucks beat Flames 4-3 and went on to lose the Stanley Cup in 7 games.

04- Flames beat the Canucks 4-3 and went on to lose the Stanley cup in 7 games.

15- Canucks beat Flames 4-3 and go on to win the Stanley Cup?

Pattern?

A. Flames in 7- Canucks in 7- Flames in 7- Canucks in 7?

B. Flames win the cup, then lose the cup- Canucks lose the cup, then win the cup?

2. We are playing/dedicating this season to a very good guy who meant a lot to this orginization, league, fans, etc. Pat Quinn. LETS WIN IT FOR QUINN!!!

3. This is our 100 year anniversary since our 1915 SC!!! (Millionaires)

4. WD is destined to win Calder/Stanley Cup back to back. Ya thats a fact ;)

5. There are 4-5 CANADIAN TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!! someone has to bring it back to Canada right???

6. Before the Coyotes game, Hamhuis never scored a PPG since 2011. We all know how far we made it that year :towel:

7. Is Rangers vs Canucks 94 rematch going to happen? Last time the Rangers wont the Presidents Trophy they made it to the finals (1994). Last time Canucks beat the Flames in the playoffs, they made it to the finals (1994).

I am not say we are going to win the cup. But the signs of us making it to the finals are there. YOU JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE!!!! :towel:

Man the signs of us going to the finals is NUTS!!!!!!!

1. We are all expecting to beat the Flames in round 1. Atleast I hope so. Now 100% of the time, the winner in the 1st round (since the start of a 7 game series) between these 2 teams, went to the SCF!!!

Oh, and theres a pattern to!!!

89- Flames beat Canucks 4-3 and went on to win the Stanley Cup

94- Canucks beat Flames 4-3 and went on to lose the Stanley Cup in 7 games.

04- Flames beat the Canucks 4-3 and went on to lose the Stanley cup in 7 games.

15- Canucks beat Flames 4-3 and go on to win the Stanley Cup?

Pattern?

A. Flames in 7- Canucks in 7- Flames in 7- Canucks in 7?

B. Flames win the cup, then lose the cup- Canucks lose the cup, then win the cup?

2. We are playing/dedicating this season to a very good guy who meant a lot to this orginization, league, fans, etc. Pat Quinn. LETS WIN IT FOR QUINN!!!

3. This is our 100 year anniversary since our 1915 SC!!! (Millionaires)

5. There are 4-5 CANADIAN TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!! someone has to bring it back to Canada right???

6. Before the Coyotes game, Hamhuis never scored a PPG since 2011. We all know how far we made it that year :towel:

7. Is Rangers vs Canucks 94 rematch going to happen? Last time the Rangers wont the Presidents Trophy they made it to the finals (1994). Last time Canucks beat the Flames in the playoffs, they made it to the finals (1994).

I am not say we are going to win the cup. But the signs of us making it to the finals are there. YOU JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE!!!! :towel:

I believe!...4 answers 5 and I hope that's a fact...

I don't post often. At first I thought this was a rebuilding year. But JB's plan slapped us in the face and said retooling.

One thing that sticks out for me. Poise. This team will not get down when it's looking down. You can also call it resilencey. (Beer spelling) TL and JB's plan of four lines is great to see. Character people, character players, doing it for the team, the City and the Province.

I was happy to make the playoffs. If we go out four straight or sweep...make a run. I have zero expectations. Except to see some good hockey, and I'm glad we have lots of Canadian teams in the post season. Hopefully Ottawa makes it five.

Bo Canucks Bo.

Archived