The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Indiana's SB101 - Religious Freedom Restoration Act

Heretic

It's free will. You can do anything you want, but that doesn't hide the fact that there are consequences - good or bad - for what you do.

How can you even believe in free will if the god you pray to has predetermined your destiny?

Also it's not that free will in choice is a bad idea, it's that when free choice discriminates against others, it shouldn't be legally condoned.

Truth is though, I dunno how much I even believe in free will. Since your chemical make-up determine what signals your neurotransmitters are going to send before you do. Based on a predisposition to behavior tenancies, and acquired biases picked up over your lifetime. The universe knows what you're doing before you do.

How can you even believe in free will if the god you pray to has predetermined your destiny?

Also it's not that free will in choice is a bad idea, it's that when free choice discriminates against others, it shouldn't be legally condoned.

Truth is though, I dunno how much I even believe in free will. Since your chemical make-up determine what signals your neurotransmitters are going to send before you do. Based on a predisposition to behavior tenancies, and acquired biases picked up over your lifetime. The universe knows what you're doing before you do.

There's a plum line for the way your life is supposed to go, and that's your destiny. Some people hit it on the mark; their lives match up with their destiny. Some people start off badly at first, but then they come back, and are redeemed so they can live their destiny. And then there are those who miss the mark entirely and never come back to the plum line to live out their destiny. It's unfortunate, but that's the way free will goes.

The thing is, a lot of the things we do are based off of things we experience in infancy or childhood. We may not remember the exact event, but it has an effect on us for the rest of our life. Choices that were made then (whether by us or others) affect how we make decisions now. It does something to us. Fortunately, it can be changed, but a lot of people don't realize that.

I disagree I would personally never support a business that said that certain people aren't welcome. Especially when they're discrimination based on something that the individual couldn't control ( Sexuality , Race ,ect).

How does not wanting to support bigots put someone on the same level of said bigots.

What about age restricted condos? African American only schools? HBUs?

Who cares, if a restaurant doesn't want to serve me,no problem, I will go elsewhere.

Who cares, if a restaurant doesn't want to serve me,no problem, I will go elsewhere.

Wasn't wondering when the less half would show up

I was wondering when the other wonder twin would show

To reiterate I wouldn't knowingly support (financially) a business that discriminates pure and simple I don't financially support any of the above and disagree with them.

As for the bolded... Good for you I guess this means you're okay with discriminating against certain groups .

Yes... are you saying people don't choose what business they buy from?

How are my beliefs being shattered? I said I wouldn't discriminate against anyone if I ran a business in Indiana. It's what Jesus would have done.

I just think that people should have a choice in who they serve first. Obviously, you have to weigh the costs. But it really wouldn't be that much different between choosing to sell things in Vancouver and choosing to sell things in Moose Jaw. You'll make way more money choosing to sell to a bigger group of people, but ultimately it's your choice if you want to choose a market of 35000 over 2.3 million.

Again. You keep framing this as an issue about free will and the right to choose who to serve. The rest of us are talking about the right to BE served. This has been a far more important issue in human history and has always revolved around dealing with discrimination. And so it is the government's role to protect and enforce that right.

Perhaps I should put it this way. The right to service is much higher on the list than the right to deny service, and so when those two rights conflict with each other, the right to service takes precedence every time. Do you understand my point here?

Perhaps I should put it this way. The right to service is much higher on the list than the right to deny service, and so when those two rights conflict with each other, the right to service takes precedence every time. Do you understand my point here?

Yeah. But either way, it seems like there's always going to be a major problem with someone when the two conflict.

Again. You keep framing this as an issue about free will and the right to choose who to serve. The rest of us are talking about the right to BE served. This has been a far more important issue in human history and has always revolved around dealing with discrimination. And so it is the government's role to protect and enforce that right.

I disagree somewhat.

There's no right to "discriminate" based on sex, race, religion, etc yes...but if you're drunk and/or obnoxious, your right to service is nullified. "Management has the right to refuse service to anyone."

I was wondering when the other wonder twin would show

To reiterate I wouldn't knowingly support (financially) a business that discriminates pure and simple I don't financially support any of the above and disagree with them.

As for the bolded... Good for you I guess this means you're okay with discriminating against certain groups .

atheist.org discriminates. Do you support them?

Not much different than WBC....

Yeah. But either way, it seems like there's always going to be a major problem with someone when the two conflict.

There should be no conflict (and there is no conflict in most of Canada, except Quebec). It's clear which is more important in preserving a sense of freedom or justice. The right to deny service as a form of discrimination has such a long, storied, shameful history.

I disagree somewhat.

There's no right to "discriminate" based on sex, race, religion, etc yes...but if you're drunk and/or obnoxious, your right to service is nullified. "Management has the right to refuse service to anyone."

Of course. I do believe one has the right to know why they are being refused service, though. And sexual orientation is unacceptable grounds.

Ive literally never heard of athiest.org

I stay so far away from pro and anti religion sites its not even funny

:lol:

Apparently if you don't support a religious groups right to discriminate indiscriminately against those they deem unclean, you're a horrible athiest ;)

Archived