The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

10th Century Eye Infection Treatment Kills MRSA Bacteria Better Than Modern Antibiotics

SabreFan1

It's because it's all natural, I'm guessing.

Actually everything they used, sans the cow bile, already had anti-microbial properties. It just didn't become potent until it was all mixed together and aged in a copper pot. For them to do that a millennia ago without even knowing bacteria existed, that's incredible.

Actually everything they used, sans the cow bile, already had anti-microbial properties. It just didn't become potent until it was all mixed together and aged in a copper pot. For them to do that a millennia ago without even knowing bacteria existed, that's incredible.

Trial and error, perhaps? :bigblush:

Also, probably people that were gifted in finding natural remedies.

That's just stating the obvious. Even the medicines today are created through trial and error.

I know, but on this scale:

There have been many simple and natural cures for ailments for thousands of years. This is just one of them. Of course if the mixture was aged incorrectly or administered by a "doctor" who didnt bathe well you may have ended up blind or with the plague. Good times.

Has this been published anywhere?

Modern publishing? Figure it out with Google. With teams working on it all over like the article states, I would say yes. That's why there are others trying to replicate the results. The hands-on part of peer review.

Quick quiz: What was the last disease cured on the planet?

Not inoculated against, not treated. Cured. One that involves a cure being given to a sick person that makes them immediately better.

I would say something, but that might start a war on this thread.

I'd say probably none. All diseases make a comeback, or try to at least. If any have been cured completely, it was before worldwide connections where we could monitor pretty much everyone in the world.

I would say something, but that might start a war on this thread.

I'd say probably none. All diseases make a comeback, or try to at least. If any have been cured completely, it was before worldwide connections where we could monitor pretty much everyone in the world.

Unequivocally incorrect.

Quick quiz: What was the last disease cured on the planet?

Not inoculated against, not treated. Cured. One that involves a cure being given to a sick person that makes them immediately better.

For now, malaria has a cure. The problem with calling anything a cure is that even antibiotics aren't technically a cure. They just weaken bacteria long enough for your body to fight the infection and cure itself.

Then I should start googling instead of pulling from my memory, hm? :lol:

You'll have a tough time finding it because we have lost sight of what a 'cure' really is in modern medicine.

The reason I'm brining it up is because it is relevant to this thread.

For now, malaria has a cure. The problem with calling anything a cure is that even antibiotics aren't technically a cure. They just weaken bacteria long enough for your body to fight the infection and cure itself.

Nope.

That's true. Antibiotics are not a cure for disease.

Cure.

Smallpox!

Not even close.

Inoculation.

If you get smallpox you've got it for life.

Archived