The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows not suspended for hit on Gaustad :Team 1040

cuporbust

Craig Button: "This is a suspension, there is no question in my mind....Complete interference and Burrows is a repeat offender."

I guess your incompetence is not limited to drafting.

So to Craig Button, interference is a suspendable offense? Talk about exposing one's bias against a certain player. The guy is an idiot that was so bad running a team, he couldn't get a job in hockey...TSN should be more selective in the garbage they hire to represent them.

45]

Jason Botchford@botchford

Canucks talked to nhl this morning, nothing for burrows. Right call. Now they just need to explain how a penalty was called retroactively

Yah, it's about time that they just let the on-ice officials review video for every infraction that involves an injury on the ice...where a penalty assessment is being considered.

The trainer is already stalling things out there while checking-out the player on the ice which stops the game anyway. It will let them be more clear as to what the infraction was, what penalty should be assessed,...and possibly reveal if there's diving or embellishment. All divers would then be receiving better scrutiny and notice for that, too.

In so many instances, applying the proper penalties and consequences within a game, is the best deterent and far more consequential to a team's fate, than any suspension that's assessed to an offender, after the fact. All the zebra conferencing,..askin; "did ya see it?",..would be mute, and it would be more about assessing any pre-meditation or intent. On-ice retribution or the policing done in-game by the players,.. should not be encouraged - more. Incidents causing injury that aren't collisions or accidents, need greater punishment - not less.

The rules of the game need to be demonstrating some more 'meat',.. like in the IIHF. But, this would require a lot more trust to be placed in the league and their officiating,..which is more than what most NHL players have in them at present.

Right call. As many people who thought he would get suspended I just don't see how they could have passed it off because he never hit him in the head, gaustad did it himself, burr wasn't even trying to hit him. That being said if they could have found a reason I'm sure they would have.

So to Craig Button, interference is a suspendable offense? Talk about exposing one's bias against a certain player. The guy is an idiot that was so bad running a team, he couldn't get a job in hockey...TSN should be more selective in the garbage they hire to represent them.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing... Sure it was interference but you can't suspend a player just for that???

The thing is, if they're not careful and start applying suspensions to every single thing it loses the emphasis for more serious infractions. Then everything's just tossed into the same pot and the serious incidents fade into the other stuff.

In a case like this, I believe Gaustad's actions should be looked at if, miraculously, he returns unscathed. They HAVE to start weighing in on that (teams exploiting the disciplinary process and trying to help it along). Preds had a few examples of that last night. Of course, there will always be some degree of embellishing...but these academy award performances really do more harm than good.

EDIT: And I, too, questioned the whole call on the ice (interference) with assessment a suspension. Dots didn't connect.

Craig Button: "This is a suspension, there is no question in my mind....Complete interference and Burrows is a repeat offender."

LOL. I had to laugh when I heard him bashing Burrows this morning.

Button is such a hack and couldn't accurately call a situation if his life depended on it. It's probably why he's leaching a living on the sidelines instead of being a manager.

I agree on the interference but it was very much embellished. Gaustad must've been smiling when he was watching the result on the screen. Too bad Bieksa got tossed for making his feelings known about the dive. Gaustad will be back and fine in there next game.

The thing is, if they're not careful and start applying suspensions to every single thing it loses the emphasis for more serious infractions. Then everything's just tossed into the same pot and the serious stuff fades into the other stuff.

In a case like this, I believe Gaustad's actions should be looked at if, miraculously, he returns unscathed. They HAVE to start weighing in on that (teams exploiting the disciplinary process and trying to help it along). Of course, there will always be some degree of embellishing...but these academy award performances really do more harm than good.

There is no doubt , regardless of how stupid it was even if just interference on burrows end , Gaustad embellished. Rolling around like he just got hit by a truck , then comes back into the game. Lol. This is what happens when they suspend everything. Players try to cheat and get others suspended.

Button doesn't know his head from his posterior, just ask Marty St Louis

There is no doubt , regardless of how stupid it was even if just interference on burrows end , Gaustad embellished. Rolling around like he just got hit by a truck , then comes back into the game. Lol. This is what happens when they suspend everything. Players try to cheat and get others suspended.

I agree that the hit was not a major penalty nor should it have been a suspendable hit. However, it deserved a 2 minute minor penalty.

The thing that rips me off is, the Canucks are fighting for a playoff spot and the score is tied with four minutes to go. Burrows decides to interfer with a player at that critical time. Now i am and always will be a Burrows fan but in my opinion, there needs to be one hell of a better thought process go on in a players head at such a critical time in the game.

There was no need to hit Gaustad in that situation. Burrows needs to shake his head about that one and be glad that the rest of the guys kept their head to salvage the win. I think Burrows owes the team a dinner.

In addition, did Juice help the team either. Were his comments to whomever that got him a misconduct really necessary. He should pay for the dessert.

I agree that the hit was not a major penalty nor should it have been a suspendable hit. However, it deserved a 2 minute minor penalty.

The thing that rips me off is, the Canucks are fighting for a playoff spot and the score is tied with four minutes to go. Burrows decides to interfer with a player at that critical time. Now i am and always will be a Burrows fan but in my opinion, there needs to be one hell of a better thought process go on in a players head at such a critical time in the game.

There was no need to hit Gaustad in that situation. Burrows needs to shake his head about that one and be glad that the rest of the guys kept their head to salvage the win. I think Burrows owes the team a dinner.

In addition, did Juice help the team either. Were his comments to whomever that got him a misconduct really necessary. He should pay for the dessert.

Very intelligent post. This is pretty much how I felt. I wasn't yelling at the ref personally. I was pssd at burrows for putting himself in that position. It was a very very stupid play. Oh well, things do happen fast out there , people make mistakes , an lucky for us we got the win. All is good in nucks land

NHL Player Safety@NHLPlayerSafety 30m

30 minutes ago

Winnipeg's Dustin Byfuglien will have a hearing tomorrow for cross-checking NY Rangers forward J.T. Miller.

Renaud Lavoie@renlavoietva 28m28 minutes ago

Phone hearing for #jets Dustin Byfuglien. #nhl #tvasports

Buttfugly could be out for our game Sat afternoon

He'd better be, you can't cross check a guys neck when he's down.

Archived