The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows not suspended for hit on Gaustad :Team 1040

cuporbust

Lol, I was thinking the same thing... Sure it was interference but you can't suspend a player just for that???

Aaron Rome was suspended for interference...

It's pretty obvious to me that it was a linesman who made the call. Like Cheech said during the game, neither referee had his arm up. Also, if you look at that gif, Willie definitely seems to be telling the linesman to frack off, not the ref.

Unrelated, but sort of, did we ever find out why Juice really got tossed?

Does it really matter? His tongue could have cost us the win. His mouth simply earned him a nice warm shower and it wasn't really unnecessary. I expect better things from an Alternative captain than that, especially when wins are so important.

I agree that the hit was not a major penalty nor should it have been a suspendable hit. However, it deserved a 2 minute minor penalty.

The thing that rips me off is, the Canucks are fighting for a playoff spot and the score is tied with four minutes to go. Burrows decides to interfer with a player at that critical time. Now i am and always will be a Burrows fan but in my opinion, there needs to be one hell of a better thought process go on in a players head at such a critical time in the game.

There was no need to hit Gaustad in that situation. Burrows needs to shake his head about that one and be glad that the rest of the guys kept their head to salvage the win. I think Burrows owes the team a dinner.

In addition, did Juice help the team either. Were his comments to whomever that got him a misconduct really necessary. He should pay for the dessert.

Agreed on all points. It shouldn't have been a major, IMO, but it was a dumb play.

In fact (I made this same point in the Burrows thread) the Canucks were taking stupid penalties all game. Bieksa, (twice) Kenins and Burrows were all guilty of brain cramps that could easily have cost the Canucks that game.

Hopefully, Willie tore all three a new one after that game.

Does it really matter? His tongue could have cost us the win. His mouth simply earned him a nice warm shower and it was really unnecessary. I expect better things from an Alternative captain than that, especially when wins are so important.

Yeah stupidity all around I agree.

Unrelated, but sort of, did we ever find out why Juice really got tossed?

They showed a replay in the post game show. Juice skates over to Gaustad while he's lying on the ice and says something to him. Most likely, accusing him of embellishment. The zebra (can't remember which one) tosses him immediately.

It is exactly like Burrows said in the post-game, 'things happen quickly out there'. Arm chair quarterbacks usually have never played the game that quickly. Is it Burrows responsibility to avoid a hit like that? Why is he more responsible than Gaustad? Oh ya, Gaustad went down. In today's NHL that means a penalty.

Looked like a dirty hit after watching the replay a couple times. But since they didn't suspend Toffoli this makes up for it I guess.

You're comparing the two?

A two handed cross check from behind in close proximity to the boards that sent a guy crashing in? To a bump mid ice?

That's your first mistake.

Archived