The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows not suspended for hit on Gaustad :Team 1040

cuporbust

There is no doubt , regardless of how stupid it was even if just interference on burrows end , Gaustad embellished. Rolling around like he just got hit by a truck , then comes back into the game. Lol. This is what happens when they suspend everything. Players try to cheat and get others suspended.

he also grabbed his groin/leg at one point, like he forgot what part of the body he's supposed to be faking was injured.

I agree that the hit was not a major penalty nor should it have been a suspendable hit. However, it deserved a 2 minute minor penalty.

The thing that rips me off is, the Canucks are fighting for a playoff spot and the score is tied with four minutes to go. Burrows decides to interfer with a player at that critical time. Now i am and always will be a Burrows fan but in my opinion, there needs to be one hell of a better thought process go on in a players head at such a critical time in the game.

There was no need to hit Gaustad in that situation. Burrows needs to shake his head about that one and be glad that the rest of the guys kept their head to salvage the win. I think Burrows owes the team a dinner.

In addition, did Juice help the team either. Were his comments to whomever that got him a misconduct really necessary. He should pay for the dessert.

Agreed, I wasnt sure what he was thinking.

Im happy he was let of the hook and he was our best player last night; but Burrows has an unfortunate penchant for this kind of thing.

He'd better be, you can't cross check a guys neck when he's down.

To put himself in such a suspendible position with the rest of his teammates' playoff hopes on the line?

He's not just another goon, that boy has skills and 4th on the team for points. Another entirely unnecessary penalty.

Your 30 years old son, learn some restraint !

Haha, nice. He was so determined to have Burr suspended for this. I think he actually popped a button.

craig_button_ep.jpg

AS I said in the PGT, It is disgusting and bordering on manipulation the way the media on a nightly basis is playing judge on jury on a hit by hit basis. Their branding the NHL as a dirty violent league has IMHO influenced the league in trying to "clean up" the perceived problem and led to the situation we now have where the player's ability to police the game is gone. Replacing it is the DOPS which is not on the ice and can't effectively deal with the stuff that should be dealt with (until too late) and which has created a climate where players are encouraged to dive and embellish in an effort to get a player suspended. Players skating with their heads down, deliberately turning their back to the play, cutting across the middle of the ice, with the puck with their head down are all accepted practices now.

Players are no longer taking responsibility for their own safety and the game is, again IMHO, more dangerous than it used to be. Players are frustrated by these moving goal posts of what they can or cannot do and how players are taking advantage of there being no enforcers or repercussions for cheap shots so they take shots at guys themselves.

Get rid of the instigator and let the player dish out punishment and you will see the gutless cheap shot artists clean up their act. Burrows and Bieksa may both have had to "answer the bell" last night for the hits they dished out and that's okay with me. IF you want to play that way, you pay the price. I believe the players themselves would much rather go back to self policing than have the wheel of punishment in control.

//rant

Lol. Not much to the imagination there

That crummy yahoo from LA wrote that Bieksa stood over him and yelled at him? Sure, ok. No sensationalism in that nonsense.

Bieksa doesn't yell...he uses sarcasm in a rather effective way that speaks volumes. No need to yell.

Likely asked if he needed a new diaper or something. TBH, I'd love to be a fly on the wall and know what he did say. Likely more comedic gold from juice. Yelled? Sure he didn't. That writer should try doing McCain's pizza commercials in between periods instead of disguising himself as a writer.

Lol, I was thinking the same thing... Sure it was interference but you can't suspend a player just for that???

Actually Burrows was suspended 3 games last October for a late hit (interference) that involved contact to the head.

That crummy yahoo from LA wrote that Bieksa stood over and yelled at him? Sure, ok. No sensationalism in that nonsense.

Bieksa doesn't yell...he uses sarcasm in a rather effective way. Likely asked if he needed a new diaper or something. TBH, I'd love to be a fly on the wall and know what he did say. Likely more comedic gold from juice. Yelled? Sure he didn't. That writer should do a McCain's pizza commercial in between periods instead.

Lol

Based on some of the reporters commentators on TSN1040, my question is did these guys watch the video of the actual hit? "Burrows initated contact", huh?

Burrows should have been suspended for 1 or 2 games, huh? (Tony Gallagher)

Any what difference does it make if the puck wasn't right there. So then an interference penalty warrants a suspension everytime now?

Geez the NHL will turn into the NBA if this is the way people are wanting things to go.

Looking at the sports news...what concerns me most is the media's blatant efforts to begin the character assassination process again, just as we saw in 2011 and 2012.

On the front page of Sportsnet, there are two headlines about the Burrows and Bieksa hits and a poll on whether Bieksa should be suspended. While the Nucks were fringe and not a threat, the press paid little attention to the team but now that they are looking like a playoff possibility, the press is once again beginning the campaign to discredit the Nucks and present them as a dirty team, paving the way for the refs and league to manipulate the games in the playoffs.

I hate conspiracy stuff but I've seen this movie before. The eastern media bias and efforts to undermine Vancouver are obvious and not without effect.

That crummy yahoo from LA wrote that Bieksa stood over him and yelled at him? Sure, ok. No sensationalism in that nonsense.

Bieksa doesn't yell...he uses sarcasm in a rather effective way that speaks volumes. No need to yell.

Likely asked if he needed a new diaper or something. TBH, I'd love to be a fly on the wall and know what he did say. Likely more comedic gold from juice. Yelled? Sure he didn't. That writer should try doing McCain's pizza commercials in between periods instead of disguising himself as a writer.

he was definitely chirping him, probably something like "do you want your oscar now, or later" or probably chirped him about why he held his leg at one point when he's trying to fake a head injury.

You're comparing the two?

A two handed cross check from behind in close proximity to the boards that sent a guy crashing in? To a bump mid ice?

That's your first mistake.

No I wasn't comparing the hits.Just saying that now we can calm down about the Toffoli hit since Burr got let off on this one.

I'm a big Burr fan, but I thought there was some intention there. Doesn't help that Gaustad was turning and leaning a bit. Could of easily been a couple games imo.

Based on some of the reporters commentators on TSN1040, my question is did these guys watch the video of the actual hit? "Burrows initated contact", huh?

Burrows should have been suspended for 1 or 2 games, huh? (Tony Gallagher)

Any what difference does it make if the puck wasn't right there. So then an interference penalty warrants a suspension everytime now?

Geez the NHL will turn into the NBA if this is the way people are wanting things to go.

They're going with this new fad of being PC...it wins them popularity contests even if they fail the lie detector.

I'm convinced TG watches through binoculars on the 8" TV in his room at the old folks' home.

he was definitely chirping him, probably something like "do you want your oscar now, or later" or probably chirped him about why he held his leg at one point when he's trying to fake a head injury.

I know, that part sold it for me. Wat?

I want to hear Gaustad's spin on that. "Well, Burr came flying at me at warp speed, launched himself out of a rocket at my head, at which point every single bone in my body shattered and I fell, limp to the ice. Plus, I had a charlie horse".

Anyhow, it's good that we can have fun with this....how it should be. If the league wants to get it right we should laugh off these attempts to extort suspensions by way of Grade 8 drama lessons.

Looking at the sports news...what concerns me most is the media's blatant efforts to begin the character assassination process again, just as we saw in 2011 and 2012.

On the front page of Sportsnet, there are two headlines about the Burrows and Bieksa hits and a poll on whether Bieksa should be suspended. While the Nucks were fringe and not a threat, the press paid little attention to the team but now that they are looking like a playoff possibility, the press is once again beginning the campaign to discredit the Nucks and present them as a dirty team, paving the way for the refs and league to manipulate the games in the playoffs.

I hate conspiracy stuff but I've seen this movie before. The eastern media bias and efforts to undermine Vancouver are oblivious and not without effect.

So true. Always hating on the Canucks.

They're going with this new fad of being PC...it wins them popularity contests even if they fail the lie detector.

I'm convinced TG watches through binoculars on the 8" TV in his room at the old folks' home.

i'm convinced TG is just a pro-toronto spam bot that has been unleashed on the internet.

Archived