The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THIS IS THE YEAR

Ronalds.Kenins41

I'm not a big believer in this kind of stuff but a pretty crazy coincidence from last night's game has finally given me "apolloitis".

Scoring order for last night's game

NSH

NSH

VAN

VAN

NSH

VAN

VAN

NSH

Record against Boston since start of 2011 finals with Thomas in net.

VAN

VAN

BOS

BOS

VAN

BOS

BOS

VAN

THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME EXCEPT WE ARE ON THE WINNING SIDE THIS TIME; our fortunes have reversed.

1. This is our 100th anniversary year of our 1915 Stanley cup win.
  2. We beat every team that beat us in the Stanley cup finals (Islanders 1982, Rangers 1994 and Bruins 2011) on our road trip from February 19th to February 24th.
  3. If we make the playoffs and play Calgary in the first round, the winner of a series between the two has went on to play in the finals 4 out of 6 times, both times we have won against Calgary in the first round, we have made the finals. 1989 Flames win cup, 1993 Canucks lose in finals, 2004 Flames lose in finals, 2015 ???
  4. New York fired Tortarella and went to the finals the following season; we just fired Tortorella last season and this is the following season.
  5. Our team has heart this season and is a 4 line team.
  6. And most importantly, this man is now watching over us. vcrd206179719_high2.jpg?w=650

Forget all the stats.

BELIEVE IN THE BLUE AND GREEN REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENS!

GO CANUCKS GO​!

April Fools. I get it.

No I'm not joking.

I actually mean it. In 2011, our only sign was the fact Canadian Olympic cities went on to win the cup the next year. Look above, how many more signs do you need?.

It's just a coincidence that it's April's fools the day after the game happened and I posted this, I'm dead serious.

I believe.

lol this yr isnt the yr lol

you cant win a cup without winning faceoffs or having a deadly poweplay

we are bottom 5 of league in faceoffs if not for horvat wed be dead last

pp is 11 of 30 teams and most of time other teams have more chances short handed our pp is bad

until these issues are addressed we will contine to not win a cup

pp is 11 of 30 teams and most of time other teams have more chances short handed our pp is bad

LA had the 27th ranked PP during the regular season last year.

Chicago was 19th in 2012/13

Los Angeles was 17th in 2011/12

Boston was 20th in 2010/11 (when the Canucks were first)

I think next year will be our best shot aside from 2011.

Horvat has a year under his belt.

Vrbata, Bonino, Sbisa, Clendening and the like will all have had ample time to learn the system and develop chemistry.

Most importantly, if WD has a brain he will have Kassian with the twins. They have a special chemistry going and I really think if given the proper amount of time they will break out.

Faceoffs definitely do not make or break a team. Yeah, they can help out but they're not the be all and end all. The Rangers are an atrocious faceoff team too yet a lot of people consider them to be Cup favorites. And 11th in the league on the PP isn't bad at all, but the PP again isn't going to make or break the team. Five of the top 10 PP teams are not and will not be in the playoffs, with a couple of those firmly planted in the basement. Special teams definitely help but they don't need to be the best in the league to win, they only need to be timely. Hell, if we went 15% on the PP during playoffs it wouldn't matter if those goals were scored at the right time.

**4 of the top 10 faceoff teams are not in a playoff position, 5 of the bottom 10 faceoff teams ARE in a playoff position with Florida and Ottawa just outside playoffs as well.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013/10/9/4817802/lies-damn-lies-and-faceoff-percentages

I'm not a big believer in this kind of stuff but a pretty crazy coincidence from last night's game has finally given me "apolloitis".

Scoring order for last night's game

NSH

NSH

VAN

VAN

NSH

VAN

VAN

NSH

Record against Boston since start of 2011 finals with Thomas in net.

VAN

VAN

BOS

BOS

VAN

BOS

BOS

VAN

THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME EXCEPT WE ARE ON THE WINNING SIDE THIS TIME; our fortunes have reversed.

1. This is our 100th anniversary year of our 1915 Stanley cup win.
  2. We beat every team that beat us in the Stanley cup finals (Islanders 1982, Rangers 1994 and Bruins 2011) on our road trip from February 19th to February 24th.
  3. If we make the playoffs and play Calgary in the first round, the winner of a series between the two has went on to play in the finals 4 out of 6 times, both times we have won against Calgary in the first round, we have made the finals. 1989 Flames win cup, 1993 Canucks lose in finals, 2004 Flames lose in finals, 2015 ???
  4. New York fired Tortarella and went to the finals the following season; we just fired Tortorella last season and this is the following season.
  5. Our team has heart this season and is a 4 line team.
  6. And most importantly, this man is now watching over us. vcrd206179719_high2.jpg?w=650

Forget all the stats.

BELIEVE IN THE BLUE AND GREEN REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENS!

GO CANUCKS GO​!

seems reasonable. Can't argue with science.

seriously though, there are no favorites for the cup this year, everyone seems to be fairly well matched up with one team or the other. it's all about luck of the draw and who you end up facing along the way. i could see any playoff team win it all this year.

Stats don't tell the full story most of the time. For example if a average team all of a sudden gets hot and start firing on all cylinders, the stats they had when they played like garbage are useless.

Archived