The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Average Vancouver home will cost $2.1 Million by 2030

key2thecup

On the up side, if you buy a million dollar home now, then wait, it'll probably be worth more as sea levels rise and your property becomes beachfront :P

[finance nerd mode engage]

This is a bit of silly report though, as it would take into account that inflation at 2% for 15 years will mean $1 million dollars now would be $1.35 million in 2030. That means house prices won't be doubling in 15 years, they will increase by 50%. That means a 6% increase in house prices per year. Not as sexy as doubling by 2030.

With growth rates of 6%, the answer is to just rent and invest all the money you've saved into index funds. You'll make more than double with far less risk, and you won't have to pay property tax.

The only reason house prices attract so much attention these days is because people conflate two very different things: where they live and where they invest. Those things should be separate. Because unlike other investments, houses need constant maintenance, renovations and other massive costs to keep them in proper condition.

You must be joking, right? My parents bought a house in burnaby in 2005 for 500K. Now their house is valued at close to 1.1 million dollars in less than 10 years. So if they had invested their money into an index funds, would their money have doubled in 10 years?

Also note that rents would go higher as the years go by due to rising costs and the fact that paying rent money would not go to any investments and would actually be more than what a house owner would pay for upkeep and property tax annually.

Maybe it is time to rename the team the Vancouver Millionaires.

one million dollar is nothing when it comes to Vancouver living. The team should be called Vancouver billionaires since the owners of the team are billionaires and millionaires are just considered middle class in this city.

Simple solution, if you don't live here then you can't buy here.

Or even, if you own a house in Canada you must live in Canada for 6 months a year or more.

Tell that to realtors who want to cash in on selling million dollar properties.

really? every time i'm in vancouver i cannot help but think how rude and corporate it is. what are hippies if not friendly culture vultures?

Pot and weed all over the place, smelly and unkempt (many of them), too extreme anti establishment / anarchists theology, protestors taking over streets and disrupting the already brutal traffic, community gardens, etc.

I hate it all. I have no love for hippies and Vancouver has a lot of them

Pot and weed all over the place, smelly and unkempt (many of them), too extreme anti establishment / anarchists theology, protestors taking over streets and disrupting the already brutal traffic, community gardens, etc.

Weak people that are too whiny. I don't really consider big cities canada anymore, because they've become so Americanized. I mean there's not much for outdoor hockey, ice fishing or sledding in the winter. You don't do firewood on your property or take a 20 min rip to go hunting. Are summers spent fishing at the creek that's a 15 min walk away from your house, and then go for a side by side ride, or do some stargazing at night from your back porch. Regularly have bears, cougars, deer, fox, coyote.etc pass through your yard and not feel threatened. Do people in cities fix their own trucks? Build and repair their homes, update/add wiring..can they even plumb? If there was a food shortage, could most produce themselves enough food to last a year?

To me being Canadian means being a rugged, self sufficient person who loves the outdoors, animals and challenges that come with the terrain. To have great resolve and work ethic. To me, living in a big city where everything you need is handed to you, is not living the Canadian experience but more the American dream.

Time to rename this city as Hongcouver

So lucky we got into the market when we did. My father's house is now the only saving grace for my 2 kids. Without that, there be no hope

Same with me...except he'll soon be forced to sell and move in with me. I plan on holding on to my place as long as possible and we'll use the proceeds of his to make ends meet. Hopefully, there is something left for the kids as they will face all kinds of struggles in this hell hole.

Same with me...except he'll soon be forced to sell and move in with me. I plan on holding on to my place as long as possible and we'll use the proceeds of his to make ends meet. Hopefully, there is something left for the kids as they will face all kinds of struggles in this hell hole.

The good news is the okanagan is beautiful and you could buy something Cash after selling a home down there. But if you're outdoorsy the north coast, Cariboo or Peace country may be a place to consider as you could buy an amazing house with a little chunk of heaven and maybe even sit on a large chunk of change :)

As for hippies...it is too vague a description and I consider my daughter and her boyfriend "hippies". They are into very organic/clean eating and minimalistic living. Totally green and "at one" with nature. They are into the performing arts culture and do poi, dragon staff, etc. They do a lot of traveling festivals and shows by way of that and travel around a lot as part of a group. They are socially conscious and spend time raising awareness and collecting donations for impoverished children in third world countries. They (especially my daughter) totally dress the part of hippies, but there's so much substance there.

They also live in a beautiful (very bare, they like it like that) condo and he makes big $$ with all kinds of perks as a coder/computer programmer for one of the biggest names out there. You'd just never know it by looking at them.

So it's hard to really judge people on appearance...they are two of the brightest lights I know. But it's not uncommon to see my daughter sitting on the ground downtown with a dog in her lap as she chats up the homeless.

And some of the G'est Q'est looking young people still live with Mom and Dad and their biggest goal is to get hammered at the club on the weekend. They look like CEO's but act like CLOWNS, so it's hard to tell what's behind the outer shell.

Give me a hippy any day...but this is getting off track now (sorry). I do think it's part of the conversation, though, in "allowing" for people who aren't consumed with greed or "success" as a wardrobe and haircut.

Not to be raciest but, if they would stop allowing the cinese billionaires to buy multiply properties/condos and leave them vacant the housing prices would be so inflated. In my Neighbour the last 5-6 houses sold have all been to immigranents who are just trying to move there money out of China before they close there doors, most of the housing are being torn down and replaced with what would be million dollars home. They look so out of place in my neighbourhood it's kind of funny. You would have a rancher on one side then this huge thing on a small property on the other side.

Also it's redicoulous how much some of them pay. A couple realtors in Richmond even has a "Asian price" and a non asian price. The Asian price is about +50k more than the non asian price.......

So you hate people enjoying their lives without hurting others, being directly involved in democracy in this country, and living a sustainable lifestyle?

I'd says what I think, but Deb is here...

Weak people that are too whiny. I don't really consider big cities canada anymore, because they've become so Americanized. I mean there's not much for outdoor hockey, ice fishing or sledding in the winter. You don't do firewood on your property or take a 20 min rip to go hunting. Are summers spent fishing at the creek that's a 15 min walk away from your house, and then go for a side by side ride, or do some stargazing at night from your back porch. Regularly have bears, cougars, deer, fox, coyote.etc pass through your yard and not feel threatened. Do people in cities fix their own trucks? Build and repair their homes, update/add wiring..can they even plumb? If there was a food shortage, could most produce themselves enough food to last a year?

To me being Canadian means being a rugged, self sufficient person who loves the outdoors, animals and challenges that come with the terrain. To have great resolve and work ethic. To me, living in a big city where everything you need is handed to you, is not living the Canadian experience but more the American dream.

Funny. I thought being Canadian is living how you want to live. As someone who went through the citizenship process, I can definitely say you'd fail miserably.

Running the risk of looking foolish, I will venture a guess: You're white, European ancestry, been in Canada for generations, live in Brandon, MB, and like to go out for a rip, do ya bud?

This isn't you, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

You imagined this Canadian experience because that what you enjoy. Enjoy it, and I'll enjoy mine. Both of us can, in Canada.

So being Canadian means being a redneck?

Funny. I thought being Canadian is living how you want to live. As someone who went through the citizenship process, I can definitely say you'd fail miserably.

Running the risk of looking foolish, I will venture a guess: You're white, European ancestry, been in Canada for generations, live in Brandon, MB, and like to go out for a rip, do ya bud?

This isn't you, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-glHAzXi_M

You imagined this Canadian experience because that what you enjoy. Enjoy it, and I'll enjoy mine. Both of us can, in Canada.

Actually my ancestory is from "upper Canada"probably 250+ years ago. I was not saying you couldn't live like that, but in my opinion the big cities are just like America. Also I take great pride in my country and know the history quite well, my family has given alot of blood, sweat & tears to this country and faught in wars to keep it free and keep the freedoms you and I reap from many great Canadians who did so. So enjoy, but be respectful. Try doing "Canadian things" though, when you hit the outdoors and see what this province has to offer, you could never disagree that it's the best place on earth.

So being someone who doesn't drive to the store and hold it's handout to the government for everything makes a Canadian a redneck?

Let's be real for a second here. Your post basically boiled down to "All these damn city slickers don't know wut fer'. They ain't real Canadians like Cletus and I".

Come on man. You don't have to live in the woods to be Canadian. Your definition of Canadian is extremely narrow and has more in common with the American South.

Let's be real for a second here. Your post basically boiled down to "All these damn city slickers don't know wut fer'. They ain't real Canadians like Cletus and I".

Come on man. You don't have to live in the woods to be Canadian. Your definition of Canadian is extremely narrow and has more in common with the American South.

Lets be real here you're stereotyping me. And in all honesty I bet I accidentally struck a nerve that although you're Canadian you've probably never experienced the outdoors and the many great things this rugged country has to offer. If I'm right I bet you lived/will live with your parents until 25-30ish and #1 goal is to go to the club on the weekend?

Actually my ancestory is from "upper Canada"probably 250+ years ago. I was not saying you couldn't live like that, but in my opinion the big cities are just like America. Also I take great pride in my country and know the history quite well, my family has given alot of blood, sweat & tears to this country and faught in wars to keep it free and keep the freedoms you and I reap from many great Canadians who did so. So enjoy, but be respectful. Try doing "Canadian things" though, when you hit the outdoors and see what this province has to offer, you could never disagree that it's the best place on earth.

Meaning what exactly? They materialized out of thin air 250+ years ago?

I know you weren't saying one couldn't live like that, I was saying that living like that is as Canadian as living the way you do. You say these things are Canadian, but I personally have: played outdoor hockey, went sledding, helped build a house (as much as a 12 year old can help, mostly carried bricks), went fishing nearby, went for my first drive at 11, stargazed at night, watched my uncle flip his car on the side to work on it, and a whole host of things you'd consider Canadian. I did all of them before I came to Canada.

Why don't people in cities build their own buildings and plumb? Because we don't have to. You enjoy living a rural lifestyle? Knock yourself out, but don't pretend like you're the authority on what it means to be Canadian. Makes you look like a jackass, but doesn't accomplish much of anything else.

By the way, my grandmother alone lost three brothers to WW2 and my grandfather was left an orphan making bombs for the soviets at eight years old. So enjoy being able to proclaim what you think it means to be Canadian in English and not German, but be respectful.

Lets be real here you're stereotyping me. And in all honesty I bet I accidentally struck a nerve that although you're Canadian you've probably never experienced the outdoors and the many great things this rugged country has to offer. If I'm right I bet you lived/will live with your parents until 25-30ish and #1 goal is to go to the club on the weekend?

Not really. Though I clearly struck a nerve with you. I actually enjoy most of the things you listed in your original post, and lived in what was basically the woods for a portion of my childhood. I'm just not so narrowminded as to think "my lifestyle is the only Canadian lifestyle." Try visiting a city without the preconceived bias. You might actually find some things to like.

That's a rather negative and narrow view of "America" and large Canadian cities and to be frank is more of a rural vs metropolitan view. Not in fact Canadian vs American. In fact that sounds like redneck heaven to far more Americans than there likely is Canadians in total.

Also fwiw, I'm renovating my own home and do a large portion of work on my own car etc ;)

Us college kids born in the 90s and Millennials are so ****ed.

It would be much more practical to go live in a cheaper city elsewhere in Canada, but I like Vancouver way too much to make that sacrifice.

It's time to create some heavy taxes for vacant home owners.

And why are some of you trying to define what a "Canadian" is? Ever since the immigration reforms that took place 40-50 years ago, Canada has become a multicultural hub that diverts away from the melting pot mentality that the US has tried to push.

What makes you Canadian is the fact that you co-exist with various people from various backgrounds and you're completely okay with that.

That's a rather negative and narrow view of "America" and large Canadian cities and to be frank is more of a rural vs metropolitan view. Not in fact Canadian vs American. In fact that sounds like redneck heaven to far more Americans than there likely is Canadians in total.

Also fwiw, I'm renovating my own home and do a large portion of work on my own car etc ;)

Funny thing is, my two best friends are a plumber and a framer. Another friend has a garage two blocks away here in PoCo where he helps us all with our car troubles. My friend bought land by 100 Mile House, we chopped down a forest and built a cabin in a week's time. Go camping, fishing, some of my friends hunt, one of them has chickens in Surrey, another built himself a greenhouse and supplied us with fresh cucumbers and tomatoes all summer long (before he got divorced). My friend is getting his shed rewired right this moment by another buddy who's an electrician. Damn useless city slickers, all of them. Or maybe they're all highly skilled in each of their trades, beyond what any redneck can dream of.

Archived