The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Average Vancouver home will cost $2.1 Million by 2030

key2thecup

Funny thing is, my two best friends are a plumber and a framer. Another friend has a garage two blocks away here in PoCo where he helps us all with our car troubles. My friend bought land by 100 Mile House, we chopped down a forest and built a cabin in a week's time. Go camping, fishing, some of my friends hunt, one of them has chickens in Surrey, another built himself a greenhouse and supplied us with fresh cucumbers and tomatoes all summer long (before he got divorced). My friend is getting his shed rewired right this moment by another buddy who's an electrician. Damn useless city slickers, all of them. Or maybe they're all highly skilled in each of their trades, beyond what any redneck can dream of.

Yup, a bunch of soft, useless city slickers ;)

Funny thing is, my two best friends are a plumber and a framer. Another friend has a garage two blocks away here in PoCo where he helps us all with our car troubles. My friend bought land by 100 Mile House, we chopped down a forest and built a cabin in a week's time. Go camping, fishing, some of my friends hunt, one of them has chickens in Surrey, another built himself a greenhouse and supplied us with fresh cucumbers and tomatoes all summer long (before he got divorced). My friend is getting his shed rewired right this moment by another buddy who's an electrician. Damn useless city slickers, all of them. Or maybe they're all highly skilled in each of their trades, beyond what any redneck can dream of.

Actually the red seal is the most recognized trade program in the world. And I'm a red sealed electrician so keep dreaming of the good ol days and your Deutsch Heitskomplex.

Actually the red seal is the most recognized trade program in the world. And I'm a red sealed electrician so keep dreaming of the good ol days and your Deutsch Heitskomplex.

Too bad you're not a red seal at comprehension. I was talking about jack-of-all-trades rednecks you described being that good at all their trades. Of course most will have some sort of profession they practice daily.

And I thought you said you weren't a redneck? :lol:

Too bad you're not a red seal at comprehension. I was talking about jack-of-all-trades rednecks you described being that good at all their trades. Of course most will have some sort of profession they practice daily.

And I thought you said you weren't a redneck? :lol:

I don't care either way, I am what I am, and I stand by that. werden Sie von zu stehen , was Ihr Vaterland wurde vor siebzig bis achtzig Jahren tun ?

I don't care either way, I am what I am, and I stand by that. werden Sie von zu stehen , was Ihr Vaterland wurde vor siebzig bis achtzig Jahren tun ?

I'll just assume you're telling me how grateful you are to me for showing you the error of your ways. Also, you think I'm the smartest poster on CDC.

Weak people that are too whiny. I don't really consider big cities canada anymore, because they've become so Americanized. I mean there's not much for outdoor hockey, ice fishing or sledding in the winter. You don't do firewood on your property or take a 20 min rip to go hunting. Are summers spent fishing at the creek that's a 15 min walk away from your house, and then go for a side by side ride, or do some stargazing at night from your back porch. Regularly have bears, cougars, deer, fox, coyote.etc pass through your yard and not feel threatened. Do people in cities fix their own trucks? Build and repair their homes, update/add wiring..can they even plumb? If there was a food shortage, could most produce themselves enough food to last a year?

To me being Canadian means being a rugged, self sufficient person who loves the outdoors, animals and challenges that come with the terrain. To have great resolve and work ethic. To me, living in a big city where everything you need is handed to you, is not living the Canadian experience but more the American dream.

I disagree. Its called economies of scale. Humans typically aim to get into routine and have become experts in fields instead of jack of all trades. If we did not do this, things like space, computers and other inventions would oikely not exist as we would be similar to other animals in the nomadic sense.

If Vancouver is out priced where else to buy in the greater vancouver area? Seem prices up everywhere

I think Burnaby and Coquitlam are better (Millennium and Expo Lines run throughout city so commuting is good). They certainly have the inflated prices Vancouver has as well, but just to a lesser extent. Better buy quick soon though, South Burnaby in particular is going to skyrocket in value soon with all these luxury condos rising up around Metrotown. Then again...people aren't so fond of the Metrotown neighbourhood, as it's starting to become a second Richmond/Hongcouver, so...whatever.

What a wild imagination. Maybe the big Earthquake will hit the west coast in the next 10 years or aliens might invade Vancouver in 2030.

ya 3000 tons a day of radiation laced water leaks in to the pacific for last how many yrs 3-4 you think that doesnt effect us on westcoast thats why baby mortality rates on westcoast have increased due to thyroid problems another 5 yrs of radiation will cause the westcoast to be a dead zone watch the cancer rates soar not sure how i have a wild imagination do your research. do you really think the government wants us to know how bad it is would cause massive economic problems for an already unstable economy

Been trying to do this for a couple years.Even in 100 mile house

ya 3000 tons a day of radiation laced water leaks in to the pacific for last how many yrs 3-4 you think that doesnt effect us on westcoast thats why baby mortality rates on westcoast have increased due to thyroid problems another 5 yrs of radiation will cause the westcoast to be a dead zone watch the cancer rates soar not sure how i have a wild imagination do your research. do you really think the government wants us to know how bad it is would cause massive economic problems for an already unstable economy

Even cities in proximity to Chernobyl didn't see anything like that.

I think your number for radiation leak is an order of magnitude off: from more reputable sources I found the leak is at 300 tons/day. And that's actually a trivial number considering how much water there is in the pacific: If you only consider the northern pacific, and only to the top 100m of ocean, there's about 8.3x1014 tons of water by my calculation. That's less then 1 part in a billion.

Of course being able to detect radioactive material doesn't mean it is a hazard, you have to look at the actual radiation level, and this is why radiation leak from Fukushima is not an issue at all expect for people immediately off the coast:

• Recent measurements of the dominant radiative substance Cesium 134/137 of the west coast is of about 2 Becquerels per cubic meter (Bq/m3) of water.
  • To put that into perspective, that's 1000 times less then the legal limit for drinking water
  • If you swim in ocean for 6 hours everyday for a year with 10Bq/m3 that's still 1000 times less then what you'll get from a dental x-ray.
  • Sources: Here, here, and data from actual measurements here.
  • The most important thing that people forget: there are natural background radiative elements in water: of them, the most abundant is potassium-40, which alone gives off radiation of a whopping 11,000 Bq/m3 (source here). That's 5500 times more radiation then the addition of radioactive elements from Fukushima

Naturally, given how little additional radiation is in the environment, I'm skeptical about alleged health effects. I looked into your claim of increased infant mortality (which I assume you are referring to this), and found that it is complete rubbish (see here).

People who made the claim compared the infant mortality rate in 8 cities from 4 weeks before Fukushima, and 10 weeks after, and found a 35% increase.

The issue is of course, CDC has weekly infant mortality data far before Fukushima and for a lot more city, why didn't they use more data? Turns out it is because it will show how wrong they are:

InfantDeathChart.jpg

Green and red are the pre and post fukushima data used to back the `claim', blue is additional data. You can clearly see there is really not a change in mortality rate before and after Fukushima; if any thing it went down as the trend line suggests.

Archived